Darn you Royal Caribbean and FOS

I was on the same cruise, and I too found Labadee lacking.

This was my first cruise as well, and if I were to cruise again, I wouldn't spend much time, if any, in Labadee.

But as another poster pointed out... to each their own.

But as for the ship and the rest of the ports.. it was fantastic. My girlfriend and daughter are already asking when we are going cruising again.

Did you hear of anyone getting sick? Our little one came down with the virus the very last night of the cruise. She got confined to the cabin until disembarkation time. Despite the vomitting she wasn't ready to get off the ship!

Ginger2000, Thanks for the map and the planner. Where do you get these planners? I've never seen these before. We have to look at are compass every day. I like these because you can look at what happing and select what you wat do do.

Ginger2000, Thanks for the map and the planner. Where do you get these planners? I've never seen these before. We have to look at are compass every day. I like these because you can look at what happing and select what you wat do do.

This was the frist cruise we actually got the planner. It was a great help in planning what we wanted to do and could organize our evenings around things like the Quest and Love and Marriage show. Maybe only certain ships do this. We got it the first day when we arrived in the cabin with the Day 1 compass.

This was the frist cruise we actually got the planner. It was a great help in planning what we wanted to do and could organize our evenings around things like the Quest and Love and Marriage show. Maybe only certain ships do this. We got it the first day when we arrived in the cabin with the Day 1 compass

Thanks

When we were last in Labadee (probably 5 years ago), we walked all the way down the beach to the left of the pier, facing the ship. It was very nice and not crowded there. Lunch was set up close to this area. Can you still go to that area? We are on Freedom the week of June 27th with a group (some in Jr. Suites and some not).

Glad you enjoyed.

For the record we don't get Labadee either. I keep reading "there is so much to see and do" but there really isn't. And as you say the beach really isn't all that.

I try to avoid cruises that go to private stops like Labadee. I don't like having a forced beach day. I live on the beach. We much prefer true ports of call where we can go off exploring and have a little interaction with the local people.

People who want a beach day can do that at any port of call in the Caribbean. Those who don't want a beach day are stuck when in Labadee.

I went to Labadee three times last year and could see the island transform into a cash register from a beautiful island. As a stock holder I can appreciate the profit value but as a diamond cruiser, it has lost its charm and now has a Disney feel about it now. I am scheduled to take about 20 friends on the FOS late June and will no doubt have to go back their because it will be the first stop and I can't send the group out alone.

IMHO, the island is an extention of the ship. That is why you can use your Sign and Sail card for every attraction. Why then should it be required to rent a floating matt and be hustled by locals for money for pointing to lounge chairs for you. Again IMHO, a family of four could drop some real coin if they zip lined and rode the coaster. They could blow a huge part of a budget and be done in an hour half. At least with Disney or Universal you can pay to get in the gate and ride everything for free. I just checked RCL prices .... The zip line is 85.00 the Coaster is 35.00 ..... The Jet ski's are 35.00 per hour .... So in 2 1/2 hours a family of four could drop well over 620.00 .....

I bet if they charged to climb the rock wall or ice skate or putt putt like this people would be outraged ..... I can't see a whole lot of difference .... In both places you are a captive audience. OK I am now off my soap box ... thanks for letting me vent

Hmmm, were going to Labadee in Sept on the Oasis. I was in Labadee in Sept 2006 on the Freedom before all the "renovations" began and loved it. It was one of my favorite places...now after reading all the comments, I'm a little nervous that I will no longer like it LOL :o

Hmmm, were going to Labadee in Sept on the Oasis. I was in Labadee in Sept 2006 on the Freedom before all the "renovations" began and loved it. It was one of my favorite places...now after reading all the comments, I'm a little nervous that I will no longer like it LOL :o

We were in Labadee in Feb. Last time was over 10 years ago when you tendered in. We actually loved it. We walked off the ship and just sat on the beach. (the beach beside the "suite" beach. Sandy and calm. No zip line, no roller coaster, didn't even go to the vendor area - a nice relaxing day swimming in the water with my kids. It will be what you make it. To us - it was just like a sea day - only on a beach. We specifically booked our next cruise to stop there again! Where we live, we are not spoiled by beautiful beaches so it is a real treat for my family to spend the day at a beach!

We were in Labadee in Feb. Last time was over 10 years ago when you tendered in. We actually loved it. We walked off the ship and just sat on the beach. (the beach beside the "suite" beach. Sandy and calm. No zip line, no roller coaster, didn't even go to the vendor area - a nice relaxing day swimming in the water with my kids. It will be what you make it. To us - it was just like a sea day - only on a beach. We specifically booked our next cruise to stop there again! Where we live, we are not spoiled by beautiful beaches so it is a real treat for my family to spend the day at a beach!

Ok, good. Glad to hear that. We loved it a few years ago b/c it was just so relaxing and peaceful...and gorgeous! We didn't go to the vendor areas either. We do have the zipline booked though. I wanted to do that but afterward, I want a lazy day at the beach. The beaches here in Savannah are horrible, so were not spoiled here either. Brown water and trashy beaches are what we have.

I surprised my wife with the first cruise in 2006. When we were getting ready to leave the ship, she turned around and hugged me and started crying. She said it was the best thing that ever happened to her. I had another cruise booked within a week.

I surprised my wife with the first cruise in 2006. When we were getting ready to leave the ship, she turned around and hugged me and started crying. She said it was the best thing that ever happened to her. I had another cruise booked within a week.

A wife tells her husband that a cruise is the best thing that ever happened to her and you take that as a good thing?:D:D

Unfortunately we didn't see the other beach :(. We really like the itinerary and the FOS so I can definately see us going that route again. Maybe we'll give Labadee second chance.

Yes, the better beach is to the right when you get at the island. Most go straight, but the nicer area is off to the right.

[quote name='Hotelfixer']I went to Labadee three times last year and could see the island transform into a cash register from a beautiful island. As a stock holder I can appreciate the profit value but as a diamond cruiser, it has lost its charm and now has a Disney feel about it now. I am scheduled to take about 20 friends on the FOS late June and will no doubt have to go back their because it will be the first stop and I can't send the group out alone.

IMHO, the island is an extention of the ship. That is why you can use your Sign and Sail card for every attraction. Why then should it be required to rent a floating matt and be hustled by locals for money for pointing to lounge chairs for you. Again IMHO, a family of four could drop some real coin if they zip lined and rode the coaster. They could blow a huge part of a budget and be done in an hour half. At least with Disney or Universal you can pay to get in the gate and ride everything for free. I just checked RCL prices .... The zip line is 85.00 the Coaster is 35.00 ..... The Jet ski's are 35.00 per hour .... So in 2 1/2 hours a family of four could drop well over 620.00 .....

I bet if they charged to climb the rock wall or ice skate or putt putt like this people would be outraged ..... I can't see a whole lot of difference .... In both places you are a captive audience. OK I am now off my soap box ... thanks for letting me vent[/quote]

GOOOOOOOOOOO GA!

We live not to far apart. As for costs in Labadee, you're right it can get quite expensive. My DH was planning on doing the jetskis but they were booked and were actually $95 for the driver and $29 for the passenger. When he saw that they required you to drive single file he was glad he didn't waste the money. What was also a little unexpected for me was the employees passing every 2 to 3 minutes selling labadoozies as if we were at a ball game (trays around their necks and all). I read on CC prior to going that it would be nice to have a few small bills to tip the locals if they help with chairs. Well, we got to the island and I left a small donation for the band, then we found our own chairs in a not so nice spot and wanted to move so a local "helped" us with chairs so we tipped him, then a short while later another local offered to get a tent for us. I told my husband that I didn't have much cash left and he told the local the same well, he said no problem and when my husband gave him the $3 we had left he looked disgusted as if we had cheated him. When we do go to Labadee again, I don't think we will plan on it being a beach day; instead, we'll probably just walk around and spend most of the time on the ship.

Archived