How is the FREE BERTH amount figured on group booking

We are a large group booking (9 cabins)

1 Suite (2 ppl in cabin) $1989 x2

4 Aft-Wrap Cabins (2 ppl in cabin) $1049 x2

4 Inside (3 ppl in cabin) - $584 x2 and $369 x1

How is the free berth amount figured following the above fares?

Thanks everyone.

We are a large group booking (9 cabins)

1 Suite (2 ppl in cabin) $1989 x2

4 Aft-Wrap Cabins (2 ppl in cabin) $1049 x2

4 Inside (3 ppl in cabin) - $584 x2 and $369 x1

How is the free berth amount figured following the above fares?

Thanks everyone.

it depends who you are dealing with...is this directly with Carnival or a TA?

Ask the people you booked with what thier rules are for froup bookings.

Expect it to be at the rate of an inside cabin minus taxes and fees...

Hi Host Mach, that is what I was thinking but since there are 3 people in each inside cabin we have different rates for the 3rd person in each cabin. I am hoping that they take the whole base fare for all 3 people and then divide it by 3 to come up with the free berth fare. I am hoping that they don't just give us the lowest price (3rd person rate) as there we paid for 8 people in the inside cabin rate of $584 and only 4 people at the rate of $369.

Hi Host Mach, that is what I was thinking but since there are 3 people in each inside cabin we have different rates for the 3rd person in each cabin. I am hoping that they take the whole base fare for all 3 people and then divide it by 3 to come up with the free berth fare. I am hoping that they don't just give us the lowest price (3rd person rate) as there we paid for 8 people in the inside cabin rate of $584 and only 4 people at the rate of $369.

It should be at the standard rate for the cabin.

It really amounts to very little...

:)

The free "berth" (cruise fare) you earn will be based on:

1. The highest # of category staterooms sold

2. Free berth is only based on the 1st and 2nd pasenger occupancy/rate. 3d and or 4th has no bearing on the outcome.

3. In your situation, since you have 4 insides sold and 4 aft staterooms sold... the inside staterooms will be the final outcome for the free berth UNLESS you happened to sell 1 more aft stateroom and then would be eligible for one free berth at that fare you contracted under.

Edited by travelntreats

This is what they did for our last cruise and our upcoming cruise:

- They take the price of the group leader's fare minus taxes, etc.

I've been the group leader on both cruises and I contact Carnival after final payment and have them divide that amount equally amongst all cabins. That way everyone gets "a little" extra as an OBC.:)

Like Host Mach said, it's not alot. But it helps on the bar tab! I think this sailing we have $63.00/per cabin.

Thank you all so much. I love CC - the people here are wonderfully helpful. Leaving in 17 days CANNOT WAIT.

You leave with this group in 17 days ? And the TA you booked with did not advise how the free berth was being handled yet ? Hmmmmmm interesting because that should have been taken care of long time ago after final payments were made and the group was finalized and then made you aware (or perhaps the group leader) of how much and how it was applied. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Expect it to be at the rate of an inside cabin minus taxes and fees...

Just to clarify and expand even more, port charges are includes in the cruisefare and these are subtracted out (they are also referred to as noncommissionable fees).

You wouldn't get the full inside rate as some people expect. Its more than just the add on fees and taxes..

You leave with this group in 17 days ? And the TA you booked with did not advise how the free berth was being handled yet ? Hmmmmmm interesting because that should have been taken care of long time ago after final payments were made and the group was finalized and then made you aware (or perhaps the group leader) of how much and how it was applied. :confused:

Maybe the OP is asking us to verify what they were told by a TA or the group folks??

Dont they wait to rebate this amount and send the check after the cruise?

Maybe the OP is asking us to verify what they were told by a TA or the group folks??

Dont they wait to rebate this amount and send the check after the cruise?

Firefly you are correct. My travel agent said she will mail out a check about 4 weeks after sailing. She said she cannot give me the amount of the check she will be sending until sailing because if someone backs out I wont get a check. I was just trying to find out how they go about calculating the check so I had an idea.

Thanks everyone for your info.

Firefly you are correct. My travel agent said she will mail out a check about 4 weeks after sailing. She said she cannot give me the amount of the check she will be sending until sailing because if someone backs out I wont get a check. I was just trying to find out how they go about calculating the check so I had an idea.

Thanks everyone for your info.

I can tell you that it will be smaller than you expect!!! (from what Iv heard, never got a check myself).

I think they take the most booked type of cabin to figure the base rate before they subtract the charges and fees and taxes.. but I was having trouble figuring out the 9 cabins you booked from what you said.

I hope you aren't disappointed. I think they will take the base inside rate for an inside, deduct out the non-commissionable items, and you get a refund check post cruise for the difference.

I tried to set up a friends and family cruise a few months ago on my own. I was working directly with Carnival groups dept. We were looking at about 10 cabins total - 2 balconies, about 4 OV and 4 insides. The amount I was going to get back post cruise once they deducted taxes and fees along with an "administrative" fee was something like $111. Since we had booked a balcony - this was nowhere near a free berth.

Check your group contract - the amount you get back is in the contract assuming the rooms you held at the beginning are all booked (since you tell them how many rooms of what type you want held.)

It became such a royal pain trying to organize everyone and actually get people who said they wanted to go to actually book that I finally decided it wasn't worth it, dropped the group, switched over to the cheaper early saver rate, and referred the ones who were serious to my PVP.

I can tell you that it will be smaller than you expect!!! (from what Iv heard, never got a check myself).

I think they take the most booked type of cabin to figure the base rate before they subtract the charges and fees and taxes.. but I was having trouble figuring out the 9 cabins you booked from what you said.

I am betting that since there are more people booked in the inside cabins versus the balcony cabins that they will go off of the inside cabins and I will get a small chunk of 1 persons rate, minues taxes and fees.

I hope you aren't disappointed. I think they will take the base inside rate for an inside, deduct out the non-commissionable items, and you get a refund check post cruise for the difference.

I tried to set up a friends and family cruise a few months ago on my own. I was working directly with Carnival groups dept. We were looking at about 10 cabins total - 2 balconies, about 4 OV and 4 insides. The amount I was going to get back post cruise once they deducted taxes and fees along with an "administrative" fee was something like $111. Since we had booked a balcony - this was nowhere near a free berth.

I am betting that since there are more people booked in the inside cabins versus the balcony cabins that they will go off of the inside cabins and I will get a small chunk of 1 persons rate, minues taxes and fees.

As stated above, dont forget they will subtract out the port charges which run over an average of $50 per port and are included in the cruisefare... so on a 7 day thats like $159 less of the inside fare you will get...and it could easily be even less with fees.

As the above poster said they were better off booking ES fares and not hassling with the group.

I didn't go thru a TA to book our group, I handled everything myself.

Our upcoming cruise and our last cruise we received the free berth amount as an OBC. I got with our group rep a couple of weeks ago and verified our OBC amount and even had to fax them a letter stating how much OBC to issue for each cabin (I split the free berth with everyone in our group).

I'm glad I didn't use a TA or I would be waiting for a check in the mail:eek: when our cruise was over.

It doesn't amount to much, about $63.00. But it's nice to have OBC's waiting for you when you board the ship.:)

Edited by jamers22

I didn't go thru a TA to book our group, I handled everything myself.

Our upcoming cruise and our last cruise we received the free berth amount as an OBC. I got with our group rep a couple of weeks ago and verified our OBC amount and even had to fax them a letter stating how much OBC to issue for each cabin (I split the free berth with everyone in our group).

I'm glad I didn't use a TA or I would be waiting for a check in the mail:eek: when our cruise was over.

It doesn't amount to much, about $63.00. But it's nice to have OBC's waiting for you when you board the ship.:)

Was that $63/cabin or $63/person? I noticed your cruise is a 5 day, so the $63 is better than the $50 OBC one could get if they booked while on a cruise. I assume you simply called Carnival to book, no? Thanks!

Just called CCL and got transferred 4 times. Finally, the PVP (who I could barely hear) tells me the info. So, do I understand 1 free berth to mean 1 free person (not 2 people in a cabin free)? And even though I am looking to do this in August of 2011, he told me I should hurry and it's all refundable so I should put down a deposit soon. Yeah, OK!!!!

Edited by laumicmah

Just called CCL and got transferred 4 times. Finally, the PVP (who I could barely hear) tells me the info. So, do I understand 1 free berth to mean 1 free person (not 2 people in a cabin free)? And even though I am looking to do this in August of 2011, he told me I should hurry and it's all refundable so I should put down a deposit soon. Yeah, OK!!!!

Read some of the prior posts.. its not even one whole free person. Its usually a inside fare, minutes port charges (can be $160 of the cruise fare) minus taxes and any other fees.

Its one berth minus fees and taxes (which are more than just what you have usually added on).

We booked our group directly through Carnival and we ask if the "free berth" amount could be applied as on-board credit and they did. I can't remember how much it was, but that, added to the group credit which was $100 per cabin, plus the FunShip dollars that I had purchased, was great. I loved getting on the ship knowing that I already had money on my sail n sign card!:)