Venice Hotels

candacew

After much searching, I booked 2 rooms at Pensione Guerrato in Venice. It is recommended by Rick Steves and gets great reviews on TA. Now, we are going a day earlier than planned on the hotel only has rooms that share a bathroom. We would also have to change rooms the second night.

The other option I'm considering is cancelling that reservation and booking both nights at the Courtyard Marriott at the airport. I would prefer to stay directly in Venice, but the Courtyard does offer a few perks; transportation from the airport, decent size rooms, and the local bus stops right across the street.

Do we give up staying in Venice for American convenience?

Give up staying in Venice for American convenience? NO!!!! Not in my opinion, and especially if the bathroom is shared with the rest of your party in the second room you booked. If the American convenience is what you want, you may as well stay at the Venetian in Las Vegas. I'm looking forward to my second trip to Venice in July, and plan to enjoy the ambience of the city for the experience that it is!

Have you ever stayed at a B&B before? if the notion of a shared bathroom is going to weigh on you, you could always look for a different hotel in the same price range. Try Trip Advisor or Venere.com. But definitely stay in Venice!

We couldn't get into Pensione Guerrato a few years ago and they offered one of their apts instead; Piccollo Guerrato. ( It was great; ask if it's available.) We picked up our keys at Pensione; it's a great building and a fantastic location near the Bridge and the Market. I think you'll enjoy he experience, as long as you can get by the shared bathroom. You'll be out sightseeing from morning until dark, so how much time will you really need in the bathroom ?

We're staying at a B&B this time (dalla mora), shared bathroom for the first few nights but when we return 2 weeks later we got a private bathroom. I prefer private, but the building/location is more important.

Good luck with your decision.

The Courtyard Marriott is very convenient with the bus across the street and the airport shuttle. The rooms are great and so is the staff. The restaurant is expensive and we did not get anything free in the am. except coffee. Did you try the BW Olimpia in P. Roma? It is easy to walk all over Venice from there, the large breakfast in the garden is free and there are buses there to/from the airport and port or you can get a taxi to the port or even walk if you have to (we did).

Definitely stay in Venice itself. You miss a lot by staying outside of town. the evenings are great there, especially St. Marks Square with free music. Search more for a place to say within the city or share the bath, it is worth it. Have you gone on line and searched for apartments/B&B's there are many at good prices. The charm of these older homes and hotels is wonderful. We stayed at the Hotel Flora right in the heart of Venice close to St. Marks Square, a really nice breakfast was included, had private baths and it was wonderful with a courtyard to enjoy your breakfast or cocktails in the afternoon. Not too expensive, but not cheap either. Look more -- check with trip advisor before making a final decision.

We stayed in Venice at Hotel Ai Due Principi, not far from St. Mark's, and loved it; new hotel in an old palazzo, excellent service and gorgeous huge bathrooms.

But the night before our 7AM flight we changed to the Marriott, but ONLY for the convenience because of the early flight; I would never recommend spending your whole stay there.

BTW if staying at the Marriott, try Crazy Pizzeria (?) right down the street--we had a fun meal there very cheaply by Venetian standards.

After much searching, I booked 2 rooms at Pensione Guerrato in Venice. It is recommended by Rick Steves and gets great reviews on TA. Now, we are going a day earlier than planned on the hotel only has rooms that share a bathroom. We would also have to change rooms the second night.

The other option I'm considering is cancelling that reservation and booking both nights at the Courtyard Marriott at the airport. I would prefer to stay directly in Venice, but the Courtyard does offer a few perks; transportation from the airport, decent size rooms, and the local bus stops right across the street.

Do we give up staying in Venice for American convenience?

Hey Candace

Stay in venice lose the american convenience. check out homeaway.com, freereservation.com and cross-pollinate.com. i found this place for us; if you are interested look at: cabadoer-veniceflat.it

on another note, seeing where you are from my niece lives in nicholasville. went to see her last year, landed at lexington airport. was i in horse heaven!! it's gorgeous there. thanks for the memories.

happy hunting

miss pupule

Thanks for all of the replies and helpful advice!

I heard back for the Pensione Guerrato and because of a cancellation, we only have one rooming sharing a bathroom our first night! I had already made the decision to stay there before receiving that news as I do want to maximize our time in Venice. Thanks again!

Archived