Advice please on surprise Alaska landtour and cruise

Pennysue

I need some advice. I intend to book a surprise holiday for my husband next year when he is 65 and retires. I want a landtour including rocky mountaineer then a cruise. We are in the UK.

I am thinking of Calgary to Vancouver. Should I book a complete package? Or should I book the landtour seperately then the cruise?. Which is the best cruiseline for Alaska? We have been on nine cruises but never Alaska. As I am booking this on my own as a surprise, I would really welcome any advice from experienced Alaska cruisers. I am thinking June/July? What clothes would we need? Sorry about all the questions.

Thankyou.

Penny.

For me, I would never be happy on a "tour" of the Canadian Rockies and did it independently, via VIA rail and making stops where I wanted, and staying as long as I wanted. I used a rental car in the areas. Many of the tours I have read, don't see much and time is rushed. My opinion only.

As for a cruise- you need to do your homework. FIRST, you need to determine, what route- sounds like you are looking at a round trip?? I suggest you find out about Alaska ports- there are only 6 on the 7 day inside passage cruises. Find out about glaciers, and routes.

Then when you have those decided, a ship can more easily recommended.

Determine your budget- can also narrow down the list. Don't skimp on shore tours, of interest. You get only half a trip without them. :)

You also need to be realistic about your activity levels and interest in outdoor tours. I spent a week doing a private tour for a British couple doing the major land activities in Alaska including flights to Barrow and Prudhoe Bay and shuttle bus ride in Denali National Park.

The lady wore a dress, stockings and nice shoes every single day! The husband wore what he called a lounge suit, shirt and tie with the shoes he would wear to work in a nice office.

They seemed to be having a good time but had no interest in dressing for the weather or the demands of the tours.

They were very good sports, I'll give them that, but they missed alot because I really felt that it wasn't safe to take them out on the trails with those outfits and city shoes. By their standards I was badly underdressed for the trip, but I had to manage all their luggage and get them from one place to another. Usually I have my meals with the people I am guiding, but I left this couple on their own for dinners and ate alone.

Archived