Balconies on the Dream

MrsZee

We are looking to take a cruise on the Dream next year sometime. We picked it because of the balconies, since we will have a three year old and an infant, we are going to be spending a lot of time in the room and prefer a balcony. But, I can't decide which ones. A cove balcony is the least expensive and the most exciting being that close to the water. But, that also makes me nervous because of the kids. Can someone tell me, are cove balconies as safe as regular higher balconies? Keep in mind that I have no intention whatsoever of letting my children on the balcony on their own so there will be no climbing on furniture.

One thing I thought might help though, I have seen other balconies that have see through walls. That might help satisfy the curiosity of a three year old who wants to see the water. What class do I need to book to get that type?

The Coves are a bit more 'open' and you'll see what I mean in this photo:

Dream024.jpg

I'd be just a bit concerned about the openings below the rail... On a 'standard' balcony that entire area is Plexiglas and on the Coves it's open.

We are looking to take a cruise on the Dream next year sometime. We picked it because of the balconies, since we will have a three year old and an infant, we are going to be spending a lot of time in the room and prefer a balcony. But, I can't decide which ones. A cove balcony is the least expensive and the most exciting being that close to the water. But, that also makes me nervous because of the kids. Can someone tell me, are cove balconies as safe as regular higher balconies? Keep in mind that I have no intention whatsoever of letting my children on the balcony on their own so there will be no climbing on furniture.

One thing I thought might help though, I have seen other balconies that have see through walls. That might help satisfy the curiosity of a three year old who wants to see the water. What class do I need to book to get that type?

The cove balconies do not have the plexiglass fronts but they do have small cutouts at the bottom to peek through for the little ones.

The other balconies have the plexiglass so it may take the curiosity out of looking over. Most of the Dream regular balcony cabins do not look straight down to the water since there is the lanai deck that extends out.

Hrm, I didn't think about them being right over the Lanai. Are balconies on the Upper deck private at all? Can people see up into your balcony while they walk around? Too much higher and the price won't be worth it. I might need to stick to the Cove balconies after all and keep my kids off it almost entirely. Just save it for us when they are sleeping.

Hrm, I didn't think about them being right over the Lanai. Are balconies on the Upper deck private at all? Can people see up into your balcony while they walk around? Too much higher and the price won't be worth it. I might need to stick to the Cove balconies after all and keep my kids off it almost entirely. Just save it for us when they are sleeping.

Hopefully Host Mach will chime in since he has some pics of the hot tubs looking up to the balcony and I think he was the one that had some from the upper balconies and there is a deck above and folks can look down.

I was just in cabin 7346 on the Dream. It overlooked the lanai and we had a direct view into one of the hot tubs. Noise was never an issue and we didn't mind the fact that people walking by could look up and see us sitting out there. If you want total privacy then stay away from a cabin in the location we were in. I'd book it again in a heartbeat since I like to people watch :) I had joked about dropping our towels down onto one of the loungers to chair hog since it would have been a direct shot down. There was never a steady stream of people walking by and looking up as I think most people tend to look ahead or out at the water instead of up to the balcony area.

Archived