On Board Shipboard Credits

Zoolander

Since there is all of this talk about Azamara and the increase in fare prices, I was wondering, has anybody noticed a movement by the company in making special offers to get people to make final payment?

I have noticed, that some people are actually cruising on old fare prices AND OBC's as well. We have a great fare prices on our August cruise, which is about 75% of the fare being offered now, but NO OBC.

What are people experiencing right now concerning what Azamara is doing to get the ships as full as possible?

By the way, our final payment is coming up in early June.

Thanks.

We just booked to go in October. First time on A.

We received a $500 shipboard credit per cabin and a $500 per person Choice Air credit. This made the cruise very competitive.

you normally get OBC's from your TA. if cruise line offers them, they are for new bookings. So, you would have to cancel your current booking and rebook to try to get the OBC offer. However, if your final paynment is due in June read your contract first because you may incur a cancellation fee that will offset the OBC. Good Luck

The current AZ offer is 500 obc for new bookings only in a OV or higher.

By the time you cancelled and rebooked at the higher prices to then get your OBC...the price could be higher and the cabin you had could be snagged by someone else...Since the computer system requires it to go back into inventory and then rebooked...It only takes a minute but it could still happen.

As SFL said OBC are usually given by travel agents and they usually come out of the travel agents commission. Basically they sacrifice their bottomline for you to book with them.

If you booked direct with AZ you could shop around for a Travel Agent to take over the booking based on what OBC's they might offer you.

It's a techinique that I've used many times.

I like to have control of my bookings up until final payment.

It becomes a win-win for everyone.

There will be no canceling. We have a more than competitive rate.

But, I do know that a high percentage of people may cancel before making final payment if there is not some type of enticement to do otherwise.

Predominately because of competition and the economy. People are even booking two cruises at a time to see which line will offer the best deals. I have never done that, but it does seem to be practiced some on this board.

My TA works with Virtuoso and we have done very well with OBC's with them, but maybe Virtuoso doesn't have the same deal in place with the Azamara and Celebrity groups.

Thanks.

There will be no canceling. We have a more than competitive rate.

But, I do know that a high percentage of people may cancel before making final payment if there is not some type of enticement to do otherwise.

Predominately because of competition and the economy. People are even booking two cruises at a time to see which line will offer the best deals. I have never done that, but it does seem to be practiced some on this board.

My TA works with Virtuoso and we have done very well with OBC's with them, but maybe Virtuoso doesn't have the same deal in place with the Azamara and Celebrity groups.

Thanks.

Holding several bookings is a practice that has increased dramatically

in the past 5 years.

I think it's because of the FCC options on several lines and the access to onboard res agents. Who actually say..oh you can just hold it.

Keep in mind the security of their jobs is based on how many cruise bookings they make on each sailing.

It's also a practice that irritates me.

Fortunately, when I travel with my mom we have total flexibility so we have been able to take advantage of the massive influx of inventory and the need to immediatly unload it within 45 days!

If you booked direct with AZ you could shop around for a Travel Agent to take over the booking based on what OBC's they might offer you.

It's a techinique that I've used many times.

I like to have control of my bookings up until final payment.

It becomes a win-win for everyone.

Ok, so you eventually book with a TA too. I thought you said you only booked direct. We too book direct and than transfer (usually).

If there is a chance that I may go on a cruise I make a booking. Then decide later whether I am going. I always book with the same agent for continuity and she does a good job. Maybe I dont get the best OBC but thats ok in the big picture of things. With some cruiselines you lose 200 or 400 dollars when you cancel per booking. On the other hand if you do not book early you do not get the pick of cabins and prices. I booked only 1 week after it opened on a November 2011 cruise with Regent but still had to take a high category than I wanted.

Archived