Tips for "Budget" Cruising with a family

familycruzinnewbie

We have 2 kids currently 7 and 10 and we don't live anywhere near a port, so whether we fly to Newark or somewhere in Florida we have to add that in there and I understand it is cheaper to sail from Florida. We are looking at the Caribbean but maybe not until 2012, need some time to save. We could sail when rates go down in late August/early September but I am a little nervous about going in the height of storm season. Other options are late April when rates go down after Easter. When do you travel with your kids?

As far as cruise lines, I know Carnival seems to offer better rates. What other cruise lines offer good rates but are still fun for kids. I'm also wondering about cabins. Have any of you stayed in a 4 berth inner room with your kids? Are there any other options you have tried that don't cost much more or do the room sized vary between cruise lines? I know Carnival has limited porthole rooms and limited views, that are similar in price to an inner and slightly larger. Has anyone tried these.

What length of cruise do you recommend. Also wondering if there is any advantage to booking shorter back to back cruise rather than one 7 or 8 day cruise.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

Most of our cruises have been during hurricane season. We've had two rough sea nights - neither due to hurricanes. The captain will do everything possible to keep the ships away from the hurricanes. One thing that I tell friends that are thinking of cruising during the hurricane season is remember the itenerary is not set in stone. The ports could change at any point.

We've only cruised on Carnival - so I'm not too sure about the other lines offerings. We've stayed in an obstructed view balcony that ended up being $50 more than the inside room we'd originally booked. We've stayed in an interior quad room - you just have to be organized. There was more room in the balcony quad room - but it's still good to keep things organized.

Since you are looking for 2012 you can look at the connecting interior rooms as a possiblity. There are several pairs of these on most of the Carnival ships. I know that the other cruise lines have different suite sizes but I'm not too familiar with them.

Hope this helps!

We have 5 kids and September is the perfect time for us to take them on a cruise. They do miss a week of school (although this year we are cruising Labor Day week so they only miss 4 days), but the price is almost half of what it would be if we sailed in the summer, so it makes it affordable for us. We live in Florida, so we don't worry too much about hurricanes affecting the trip. The captains stay clear of storms, your itinerary would possibly be altered, and that's about it. You can always get insurance for that.

Royal Caribbean is our cruiseline of choice, we went on Royal for a couple of years, and then last year we tried Carnival for price reasons, and decided that we would spend a little extra and stay with Royal. The kids clubs were similar, but once the kids got to the 12 year old age group, they loved RCCL much more. There are more activites on Royal as well, depending on what ship you choose.

We have a family cruise booked on the Liberty of the Seas for Labor Day week and I looked at the Carnival Liberty leaving out of the same port for the same week and it was more expensive that I was paying on RCCL, so Carnival is not always cheaper. We have a Family Promenade stateroom and a D2 balcony booked, so I am not comparing interiors to balconies.

I would do a 7 night cruise, and you would just have to look and see if a back to back would be cheaper, it just depends on the time of year.

4 to a room would be tight, but very doable and many people do it. I would maybe try to get 2 connecting interiors, unless a window or balcony is important to you.

We cruise in September/October or the week after Presidents week in February. You can find the best deals if you are willing to take your kids out of school, they seem young enough that you can help them with the work they missed (I get a packet from the teacher before and bring it on). We like Norwegian with the kids, the Freestyle suits our family at this point in our life. If the kids are happy, then we are too.

Some cruiselines have a greatly reduced fare for 3rd and 4th passengers, some only charging port fees and taxes. Check out the weekly deals that various lines offer on their websites, for instance, Royal Carribean has Tuesday sales. We often plan to go on vacation during a certain time, usually during the school year, but we only book it a few weeks before sailling. This means that time is booked off work, passports are up to date, we have an idea of who can house and pet sit and we let the kid's teachers know that we may be going away. We are flexible about the ship and destination and we see what kinds of deals are out there. Sometimes if we see a great airfare come up, that spurs us on to see what kinds of cruises are available for that time. Not everyone is comfortable waiting until the last minute to book, but there are so many places that we want to go that invariably there is something that is interesting. I figure that the money that we save booking last minute lets us travel more often!

It is my understanding that shorter cruises often become more about partying and less about family vacations. We have only done 6 or 7 day cruises with Royal, HAL, Celebrity and a cruise line that is no longer in operation. Celebrity has been our favourite although the kids thought the sports deck on the Independence of the Seas was a lot of fun too. We have never sailled Carnival so I can't speak from experience of what they offer, however their reputation of a loud, party atmosphere and of kids running wild isn't as appealling to us. But that's just us.

We usually go in late January before the prices go up for the Spring Break, but it is still in the dead of winter when we 'need' a break away from the cold winter weather. We do take our kids out of school for trips, but I do try to be mindful of when teachers are doing testing for report cards.

Have fun researching.

N.

Our first family cruise was on Conquest and we stayed in a quad interior. Kids were 7 and 10 at the time and it worked out just fine. I have seen that there are porthole rooms on Carnival ships that are considered interior. They looked neat, and booking far in advance like you want to you should be able to snag one.

Our next cruise we are trying Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. This time we're 'splurging' and getting connecting promenade staterooms. It's more than what we paid before, hopefully it will be worth it....otherwise it'll be back to a quad inside for us! LOL We choose to go over spring break, last time that cost us a bit more because we cruised out of Galveston and the whole state of Texas was on break too. :) This next year Texas must be the week before us. Oh, and even though we sailed on Carnival AND during Spring Break, it wasn't a 'party' ship at all.

Have fun researching--I hope you find a great deal for your family!

I've sailed in September without any problem, but also look at later October/early November, early December, and late January for good rates. The earlier you book, the better, especially if you book with a line and a rate that allows you to take advantage of price drops. (Later 2012 cruises haven't been released yet so you have plenty of time to research and save up.)

Booking B2B or one long one - either way will get you good rates in the offseason, but just take a good look at the ports. On shorter cruises, you could end up with the same or similar ports. For example, you could take the Carnival Sensation 3 day and 4 day, the port for the 3 day will be Nassau, the ports for the 4 day will be Nassau and Freeport. No cruise is a bad cruise, but I wouldn't necessarily want to go to Nassau twice when I could take the Carnival Dream 7 day to Nassau, St Maarten, and St Thomas.

Your kids will find fun on any of the major lines, I'm sure. They all have good kids club programs. Once you pin down when you want to go, you'll know exactly how old they will be and which kids club designation they would fall in. Your oldest may barely make it into a tween club rather than the younger kids club, depending on the age cutoffs for each line.

Departing Port Canaveral, I would consider Carnival Dream or RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

Departing Ft Lauderdale, I would consider Carnival Freedom or RCCL Oasis of the Seas.

Departing Miami, I would consider Carnival Liberty or Norwegian Epic.

Carnival is generally cheaper, and my son and I would take a Carnival cruise every other week if we could afford it, but I know some people swear by RCCL just as much.

It is my understanding that shorter cruises often become more about partying and less about family vacations.

I wouldn't worry about this at all during the offseason. This can be more of a concern during Spring Break for some people, but I was just on the Sensation in April and the ship only seemed half-full and very quiet.

Celebrity often has ridiculously cheap rates for 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin, so you should look at them. Princess is also decently priced when they have specials, but they tend to charge more for 3rd and 4th passengers than other cruise lines do. Look at the 'whole cabin' price, including all taxes and port charges, before you make a decision.

You said you don't live anywhere near a port... could you drive there? Even parking at the port for a week or so is cheaper than buying airfare for 4. You could spend a day on the road instead of a day flying.

We've always had 4 of us in a quad cabin (my kids are 7 and 9 now, and we started cruising with them more than 4 years ago) and we can deal with it just fine. Be aware that at least one of the extra berths will be a bunk (high bed that comes out of the wall or ceiling). Your kids may or may not like that. In my case, my kids have to alternate nights, because they both like sleeping up high!

Disney by far has the biggest standard rooms. However they are also the most expensive. But if you go when they have their deals (like kids sail free) they are competitive, and you'll find a LOT for your family to do. If you don't want hurricane season, try sailing in May or early June, after your kids finish their state testing.

Thanks for the info.

Helen - driving is definitely not an option. It takes longer to get to the port and back than the cruise itself.

I've looked int o NCL and RCCI, they can have some decent prices, they just don't seem to have them listed as far in advance. Will they lower the prices if you are already booked. HAL is missing the all important water slide. I went on the HAL board, and there were several cranky, anti-kid posters there. DD's friend is booked on the Epic this fall, so she may be expecting similar amenities. We can handle small quarters, we lived in Europe last and stayed in some hostels. Of course we only took tiny carry-ons when travelling.

If you book connecting interior rooms, does that mean you pay the higher rate for all 4 people? In some lines, there isn't much difference in the rate, but in others, it can be huge.

We're also a family of four. Our strategy is a bit different. I cinch the budget BEFORE we go, so we don't have to as much while we're on vacation.

Little ways to squirrel away money...paying for everything in bills and putting all the change in a jar that sits on the kitchen counter (I saved over $1000 that way in about a year and a half); paying for groceries using cash (estimating your bill ahead of time) and putting whatever is leftover in cash in the "cruise jar" mentioned above; clipping coupons (and putting whatever I save in the "cruise jar";

letting family member know that you're goal is saving for the cruise and if they ASK that for adult birthdays/holidays (not the kids though) you'd really appreciate cruiseship credit/$$ and putting that towards the cruise; having a small amount automatically put into a vacation fund that you won't be tempted to dip into every week (like an online one that you have to have a debit card to access, then don't carry that debit card in your wallet); give up eating out one night/ordering a pizza here and there and putting that $$ into the "cruise jar"; using the cruise as motivation to weed out some clothing and unused/unwanted items and sell them on ebay or have a yard sale and putting that $$ in the "cruise jar", plus all of our "windfall" money (tax refunds, bonuses at work, money that we don't count on for bills and every day expenses) goes into the "cruise jar".

It's really helped involve the kids in the whole process as well and made them more conscious about asking for unnecessary items while in the store.

ALSO be vigilant about watching for price drops on your sailing, that's money that is either taken off your balance or given to you in OBC (onboard credit), BUT be sure you let whoever you're booking with know that you want to have that option (sometimes, like Early Saver rate on Carnival, it comes with restrictions).

As far as airfare goes (we're in that same boat, not living anywhere near a port), just sketch out a rough budget (based on how much you think you can pull together in whatever timeline you're looking at, using whatever methods you can) and get a number in mind as to what price you can live with paying for airfare, and keep an eye out. There are some travel websites out there that notify you if price goes down on a specific route on a specific date/s you give them.

When sketching out a budget, I factor in the following; cruise fare (we choose two connecting oceanview rooms when we sail...the extra TV and bathroom alone are worth it); airfare; pre-cruise hotel stay (priceline is a lifesaver for finding somewhere decent to sleep the night before the trip....and while we're on the subject, I'd NEVER recommend flying in the day of the cruise. Both for peace of mind AND the fact that cost of hotel+airfare on a Friday usually is the same as airfare on a weekend); dinner/breakfast before boarding the ship in embarkation port (read the "Departure Boards" to get the scoop on cheap eats...like near by drug stores or something you can pick up juice/doughnuts just to get you through til you board the ship, versus paying $20 pp for the hotels luke-warm buffet); transportation from airport to port/hotel to port/port to airport; pictures/souvenirs; baggage fees from airline; drinks/sodas; excursions; shopping/snacks in port; premium restaurants/coffee shops; tipping above the standard amount (for waitstaff, room stewards, kids' camp staff).

Once onboard, I'd suggest booking independant excursions OR coming up with things to do on your own (most of the ship's excursions are insanely overpriced for what you get and really crowded= waste of time and money to me). This will take some "homework" reading through the "Ports of Call" board as to which ports it's safe to do this in and which are not (for example, Cozumel is safe and VERY family friendly, while Belize and Jamaica you really, really SHOULD have a guided tour booked to even leave the port area). I'd also advise you to, if you ARE going to book any excursions, let the kids have atleast one or two days to just be kids on a beach...that was one of the simple joys of the whole trip for my kids.

I get most of our formal wear for "elegant evenings" online or in resale shops. I have one pair of silver sandals to wear in the evenings to dinner that goes with all of my dresses (no one really looks at your shoes anyway AND it saves valuable packing space/weight). I also limit everyone else to 2-3 pairs of shoes (one pair of flip flops, one pair of sandals, one pair of dinner shoes).

Using the above "plans of attack", when it comes to being on vacation, I don't feel guilty about spending the $$ that we all worked so hard to save. Using this method, thus far, we've been able to start a "cruising every year and a half" method. Honestly, we started sailing Carnival and I can't imagine anything that anyone else would offer that I'd desire. Especially taking into consideration the price differential. That's just my personal choice, though. The food, service, ports, cabins, kids' programs were all excellent and I've never had a sub-par experience in three cruises. As far as how long to cruise, I personally wouldn't cruise less than 7 days. Especially considering we go to the hassle and expense of flying to port. That's equivalent to spending 2 whole days travelling to/from the cruise, so you might as well make it worth your while.

That's probably WAY more information than you needed. But I hope it helps. Cruising is the BEST family vacation ever. Fortunately, after their first cruise last fall, my kids agree!

Thanks for the info.

If you book connecting interior rooms, does that mean you pay the higher rate for all 4 people? In some lines, there isn't much difference in the rate, but in others, it can be huge.

Yes, that's right. You only get 3rd and 4th person rate if you're all in the same cabin. Depending on the cruise and the line, sometimes booking one mini-suite is cheaper than 2 interiors! You really have to check everything to know what you're getting.

Cruise lines will usually drop your fare IF YOU ASK after the prices drop, as long as the rate isn't for 'new bookings only'. Most cruise lines will only drop your fare up to the date of final payment, but I actually had Celebrity refund my money last year after final payment, when there was a price drop! I had never experienced that before, and it sure impressed me!

We are cruising with Celebrity Eclipse next year for 14 nights in the Med (cruising from Southampton to avoid the cost of flights) For all four of us in a balcony cabin we got a great deal of £5000 with free car park and £200 OBC (this is £2000 cheaper than Indy for a very similar cruise!!same time of year, Med cruise and length)

Definitely consider Celebrity, people always think it is pricey but with 3rd and 4th passenger reductions it is very competitive and the information I have found about the kids clubs is really positive.

There is lots and lots of great advice above!

It's really helped involve the kids in the whole process as well and made them more conscious about asking for unnecessary items while in the store.

But I need some more help with this one! Almost easier to plan shopping when they are not around...

We live in the middle of nowhere in Canada, so airfare is always an issue for us as well. Fortunately, we have the AirMiles program, which allows us to collect points on two credit cards, at my grocery store, at gas stations, through hotels and car rentals, and even online, among other options. There's no way we would cruise as often as we do (once a year) without the program, and I tend to be more concerned about low season for those points than I am with the cruise fares - and they pretty much coincide anyway.

As for the cruising, I've found that NCL has had the best pricing for our needs when investigating our past four cruises - and as past passengers we also got an insanely good deal on our upcoming Epic cruise. I'm absolutely willing to sail another line should I find a better fare the next time I look, though. My best advice is just to be diligent about researching what's available.

Keep in mind that depending on your kids and location, you may not have complete control over when you choose to cruise. I know that there are many areas in the US where you cannot take your children out of school for travel, so that could be a barrier. You also have to evaluate whether your kids are going to be okay missing school. This is a decision that only you can make - or if you're unsure you can discuss it with their teachers, since they have active experience with your children's school performance and needs.

Once that decision is out of the way, you can look at dates that can work for your family. Also consider that depending on where you are, driving might be an option. For us, it's at least three full days to get to any port, so it's never an option - especially in the winter, which is when we cruise. Depending on where you are, however, you may be within reasonable driving distance of a larger centre where you can get a better fare on an airline like JetBlue or Southwest. As I said earlier, diligent research is what's going to give you the advantage you're looking for.

Good luck!! :)

If you're around Jersey.. I found it's cheapest to fly JetBlue out of JFK (their main hub) to Florida... but JetBlue doesn't post their prices until 6months before your intended flight date... and that can be stressfull watching the other airlines' flights book up... but we haven't had any problems.... and it's still cheaper than flying Continental out of Newark.

3rd and 4th passenger rates are CHEAP! Booking two kids in their own room (whether connected or not) is at the full adult rate... so that adds to the cost.

If you LIVE in Jersey... know that the first week of November is ALWAYS the NJEA Teacher's Convention in Atlantic City... so the kids will be off from school that Thursday and Friday.... Also, election day occurs that week on Tuesday... so the kids really miss maybe two days or two half days of school (south jersey schools have been taking that week off)

November is the tail end of Hurricane Season, so the weather is usually calmer than August-October... but you're on a boat, so they can always change itineraries if something bad is brewing in the Caribbean.

It's also CHEAP to cruise during this time.

The past 6 cruises we've been on have been during that week. Practically everyone is from Jersey on the boat... and we've hit bad weather twice (rain, not hurricane)

Book your own excursions... Research TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic for private tours and stuff... saves you a lot of money... the cruise lines have to make their premium on the excursions, so there's no real reason to pay it if you can do it on your own.

I'm going to have to look at Spring Break vacations soon... they're usually double the price of the November cruise dates... and the ships are more packed.. but my eldest is going to Junior High soon... and we don't know how much work he'll miss if we miss those two days in the first week of November.

I'm stressing about that... I hate crowds, and I'd hate to pay double to have to vacation with crowds of people (not saying I hate people... just hordes of them :cool: )

If you're concerned about privacy sharing a room with the kids.. just remember... they LOVE the kid's programs (most of the time), so you can ALWAYS find quality "YOU" time for you and the spouse.

edit:

Another thing I do is price the cruises online... like, if you want to book a cruise in August 2012, the lines might not have those dates available... but if you price August 2011, you get a general idea of what you may end up paying the next year... same with airfare. Travelocity, Orbitz, etc... you can get an idea of what the costs will be (and keep in mind it may go up a little after another year passes by)

... but if you can, book a balcony room... They're wonderful.. especially when the kids are sleeping, and you feel guilty about leaving them in the room, but are not ready to go to bed.

another thing:

Shorter cruises tend to be more "party" oriented. You get a lot of local Floridians on those ships who are there for a long "party weekend". Those cruises tend to be a little less kid friendly in my experience.

Your standard 7 day cruise is your best bet for relaxation and fun.

Hi - thanks for all the ideas.

CanadianTwoSome - we are in Atlantic Canada so have made friends with Aeroplan. I haven't quite figured out the AirMiles cards, I've had one at times but it never got anywhere. I switched my credit card to collect different points that are easier to use than the Aeroplan but can be converted back if I run short of Aeroplan points. We do use them if we join DH when he travels for conferences. Sometimes airfare to Florida can be quite cheap, sometimes not.

I am somewhat limited in travel times - currently DH can't take vacation from Jan-mid August other than the end of April. He's trying to get that changed, as we would like to travel more in the summer as the kids are getting older. Mack - only Canadian Thanksgiving in October and Nov 11 are definite school holidays, the teacher PD days are not predictable.

VillaHappy - yes shopping with the kids is always a chore. DD wanted us to buy her her own smaller jam, when we have the same larger version in the fridge. I do involve them in some travel decisions. They are experienced travellers now. I wrote down about 10 destinations, some close, some further, some in potential conference locations so they would all have different time frames. I let the kids tick off their choices, just to get an idea of what they were interested in.

I do like travel planning and do quite a bit of research in advance.

We have 2 kids currently 7 and 10 and we don't live anywhere near a port, so whether we fly to Newark or somewhere in Florida we have to add that in there and I understand it is cheaper to sail from Florida. We are looking at the Caribbean but maybe not until 2012, need some time to save. We could sail when rates go down in late August/early September but I am a little nervous about going in the height of storm season. Other options are late April when rates go down after Easter. When do you travel with your kids?

As far as cruise lines, I know Carnival seems to offer better rates. What other cruise lines offer good rates but are still fun for kids. I'm also wondering about cabins. Have any of you stayed in a 4 berth inner room with your kids? Are there any other options you have tried that don't cost much more or do the room sized vary between cruise lines? I know Carnival has limited porthole rooms and limited views, that are similar in price to an inner and slightly larger. Has anyone tried these.

What length of cruise do you recommend. Also wondering if there is any advantage to booking shorter back to back cruise rather than one 7 or 8 day cruise.

Hello ,

Have you tried MSC cruises? the italian cruiseline that brings 1 or 2 ships to the Caribbean during the summer. It sails out of Florida using teh MSC Poesia. They have only brand new ships (1-3 years old), and two KIDS ARE FREE!!! when they travel with 2 paying adults. So, they naturally cater to children on these ships. They are a different product where you are likely to find a more international mix of passengers, and not predominately American. We just booked an 11 day cruise with MSC in the Eastern Mediterranean and my 3 year-old only had to pay $55 for port fees! You can try checking out their itineraries at their website for the USA: http://www.msccruisesusa.com

It is worth a try.

1. Hurricane season - last 6 months, so don't worry about it. The ship will go around the storm.

2. Always sailed in a inside cabin with 2 kids, and never had a problem. Save a ton of money, and get to spend it on fun excursions.

3. Short cruises, are usually smaller ships, and not as much "kid" space. I have been on both, living in Florida makes it easier. I would go on a bigger, 7 day cruise, before two back to backs on a smaller ship.

4. Carnival has a great kid's program, and is good for younger kids. RC is better for older teens.

5. I aways focused on my total budget, and than checked to see what fit into that budget.

If you are in Atlantic Canada, think of sailing out of New York. That should save you some $$$. Also, I usually find our 'specials' myself online but watch the travel section of the major newspaper near you. We have gotten our best trips that way which include airfare (Europe, Hawaii, etc.). Don't worry too much about the cabin type as long as it sleeps 4. No one will spend much time there.

If you can cruise during the summer months (up to Sept.) you may want to check out NCL cruising out of Boston going to Bermuda. NCL has obstructed view cabins (category G) that are larger than insides, but close to the same price as the insides. NCL originated free style dining which means you do not pre-plan what time you will eat. Our child prefers the buffet so that time away from kid's club is minimized. Another good thing about NCL free style is the very relaxed dining clothes requirements. So no formal clothes needed to purchase or pack onto an airplane.

I have looked at NCL since DD is quite interested in the Epic but the prices work out quite high. The main requirement for her is a waterslide which eliminates some lines. DS wants a bowling alley but he may have to do without. DH wants to see daylight, which is why I've been looking at the porthole and obstructed view cabins. Going from Boston or NYC doesn't save us much other than there is a daily direct flight to Newark with Continental.

When planning a cruise we first pick the week we can go. This is based on all of our schedules. If you want to avoid higher prices go in Sept, Oct, early Nov, early Dec, Jan or Feb. Don't worry about hurricane season. You can never predict the weather. Do consider kids school schedule, especially if they are in sports or struggle academically.

After we pick the week we search all cruises that fit in that week. We pick the cruise based on timing, itinerary and price (notice I did not say cruise lines because that really doesn't matter to us). I then use an on-line agency that has different travel agent give quotes on that cruise. I always get the cruises a couple of hundred $ cheaper than the advertised rates. The length of the cruise depends on what fits our schedule. We have found 5 day cruises nomally fit the best with travel time in our schedule.

After we have the cruise picked we start either watching for airfare sales or car rental deals. I always build in enough time to drive or fly in the day before depending on what deals I can find. Sometimes I can find a great deal on plane tickets and we fly and sometimes I can't so we drive.

I then keep an eye on the prices for fare drops to get OBC or upgrades. We also purchase everything (cruise, airline tickets, food, gas, clothes, hotel rooms, etc) on our credit card and use the reward $ for vacation spending money.

I also become a member of Hilton Honors because we like staying at Embassy Suites on vacations. Embassy Suites offer cooked to order breakfasts and complimentary drinks and snacks in the evening, plus the rooms are suites. Using the Hilton Honors discount makes this very affordable with extras for a family of four.

• 7 months later...

If budget is the biggest factor, with two kids I definitely recommend MSC. If you can travel off-season, you can cruise for almost nothing. Up to two kids in the same stateroom as two paying adults are free! All you have to pay are taxes (on our upcoming 11 night cruise each of my two children is paying $45 in taxes). We did a fall 7 night Med cruise for around $1300 total with an oceanview room (cat 5) and are doing an upcoming winter 11 night Med for $1875 total for all four of us with a balcony room (cat 8)! If you're willing to take an interior room it's even more inexpensive. MSC is a line that is not for everyone, but for us the savings are totally worth it - we can spend the money we save on excellent shore excursions and great wine and still save hundreds or thousands of dollars over other lines.

Thanks for the info.

HAL is missing the all important water slide. I went on the HAL board, and there were several cranky, anti-kid posters there.

Hi- We have cruised HAL pre and post kids. In general people are more inclined to negative comments on the boards, but many would never be tacky enough to say anything in person (I often think it is a pack mentality). On Hal the vast majority of passengers and staff were very friendly to my daughter. Please don't make that your decision point, especially if HAL is offering 3/4th passengers free except for taxes and port fees.

Other alternatives not mentioned is MSC/Costa- often have kids sail free and occasionally offer an alternative deal where you buy one cabin at full price and the second is half off. They aren't necessarily 'American' lines, but some posters report that they have a great cruise experience and prefer them (there are slight cultural differences, but good or bad depends on your viewpoint). I think they would be well worth trying as I have priced out a 7 day cruise that came out less than a four day cruise on another line.

Archived