Roatan Hill after leaving ship

veryhappy2cruz

I have read numerous sites that there is a large hill to climb to meet your excursion. I have some mobility problems, i.e. bad knees/hips, and will this be an issue for me. How steep is the hill, and how long? Is there any way a taxi can come and greet us so we miss this hill? What do other handicapped people do, ....I do not want to miss this island.

Go to this thread for some pictures and videos (post #12) of the hill.

Also bear in mind that to get to the pier area from the dock, you have a somewhat steep climb to make and it is a bit uphill to the entrance. I've heard that they will allow independent tour operators to come down and pick up guests if needed. You might want to ask your tour operator about that.

I have read numerous sites that there is a large hill to climb to meet your excursion. I have some mobility problems, i.e. bad knees/hips, and will this be an issue for me. How steep is the hill, and how long? Is there any way a taxi can come and greet us so we miss this hill? What do other handicapped people do, ....I do not want to miss this island.

What cruise line? If you aren't on a Carnival product you won't have a hill to climb. (Princess, HAL, Carnival, Costa)

It sounds like you're talking about the hill at Mahogany Bay (there are 2 ports at Roatan). The walk is about the length of a football field, a bit steep - both up and down a hill, and, when we were there in March, without a sidewalk.

The hill is only in play if you're planning on taking an excursion with an independent tour operator. Ship operated tours and taxis are available from within the gate.

We saw someone with mobility issues take a cab from inside the gate up the hill and to their indepedent tour operator. As others have mentioned, you might be able to see if an independent tour operator can get access to pick you up within the gate. (Indepedent tours can drop you off within the gate.)

Here's one of my pictures that may help give perspective. The taxis and cruise ship excursions are available at the 2 story red roof building in the center of the picture. You can see an opening in the trees on the left side of the picture --- the independent tours are available on the other side of the hill.

Hope this helps!

4430381073_59c4aaea85_b.jpg

Adventuregrrl,

Thanks for the photo and info on the Hill Will be going up it in Dec.

See that you are from the Dc. area so are we Upper Marlboro by The air base Watching the air show from our deck of our trailer.

Paul

211 days to go Carnival Glory

Go to this thread for some pictures and videos (post #12) of the hill.

Also bear in mind that to get to the pier area from the dock, you have a somewhat steep climb to make and it is a bit uphill to the entrance. I've heard that they will allow independent tour operators to come down and pick up guests if needed. You might want to ask your tour operator about that.

sorry, Just noticed the link to the hill at mahogany Bay thread didn't appear.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124231&highlight=mahogany+bay

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the hill that they are talking about is just outside of the port. Carnival decided that they didn't want the vendors that are outside of Carnival's excursion/tour packages coming into the port to pick up their guests. It is a large hill, but it is not very steep at all. You can see it once you pass through the port and if you need assistance you may be able to request help when you get to where the taxis pick you up...I'm not positive on that though.

If you are able to walk a quarter mile or less than that unassisted then I think you should be fine. BUT it is extremely hot there, so make sure you have some water in your system! ;)

• 1 month later...

Please be advised that Carnival Cruise Lines owns the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center and has made it particularly challenging for cruise patrons to meet their Independent Tour Operators. Carnival does NOT provide any type of signage indicating where the Independent Tour buses are located, nor do they offer any assistance at Customer Service or from any of the staff at Mahogany Bay. This is information was received from an Independent Tour Operator on how to get to their tour bus.

With that in mind, please follow these directions to find the Independent Tour area.

* As you walk up the ramp from the Duty Free store you will see a pavilion with a large open breeze-way in the center of the complex.

* Walk through this breeze-way and you will see the taxi parking lot on your left. 

* Once there follow the road to the left and up a hill, through the gates to get outside the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center.

* There is an Independent Tour Parking Lot Shuttle Service at the gate, but they may not always be there.

* Walk down the hill, at the bottom of the hill on the right hand side you will find the Independent Tour Parking Lot. 

* It is a 10-15 minute walk (slightly less than a quarter mile) from the exit of the Duty Free Shop at the dock to the Independent Tour Parking Lot outside the gate.

Hope this helps those of you who are thinking about booking an Independent Tour Operator on Roatan.

What cruise line? If you aren't on a Carnival product you won't have a hill to climb. (Princess, HAL, Carnival, Costa)

Correct. Then you would most likely be docked at the old pier in Coxen Hole. Otherwise, yep you will have a hill to climb. However, if you are docking in Mahogany Bay ask your tour guide if they can find a way to make special accomodations for you since you have mobility issues.

Thanks to Cindyz for the suggestions about reaching the independent operators. We will be there in July on the Legend. It seems most convenient to spend the day at Mahogany Bay, but will we be missing out on better sights or snorkeling if we don't go to the other beaches? Thanks. :)

Thanks to Cindyz for the suggestions about reaching the independent operators. We will be there in July on the Legend. It seems most convenient to spend the day at Mahogany Bay, but will we be missing out on better sights or snorkeling if we don't go to the other beaches? Thanks. :)

Yes you will!! The island is very scenic, hilly and wonderful outlooks and vistas. The snorkeling is a gazillion times better on West End/West Bay beaches than at Mahogany Bay. The water at MB gets churned up by the ships propellers and the bottom is more silty than reef like. You can snorkel there but it's not that "Caribbean beach" scenic like other spots. For many folks though, MB is a nice option to do a little beach time and shop without the hassle of taxis and excursions and vendors hawking their wares, which you get at West Bay beaches.

Archived