Fantastic Time on the Splendor Except for the Norovirus

afcj1

I was on the May 2 sailing of the Splendor and it was great:) I met the nicest people at our meet & greet and we all stayed close throughout the cruise.

The staff was fantastic, the food great and the cruisers on board were the best. It was my 1st solo and since I met a very nice lady (hi ya Shelley) also cruising by herself, we ended up doing a lot together. I was in a 1A with portholes and it was bigger then my new friends 4A. The adult comedy show was pretty good and the place to hang is the adult pool, aft. I loved the Splendor and would cruise her again in a hearbeat.

Unfortunately, the worst part was when I came down with Noro:mad: Thankfully, it was the last day. I woke up at around 3AM feeling nauseous and at 7AM, the "fun" started. By 9:30 I was taken by wheelchair to the infirmiry and was given a shot of phergen, given immodiam and phenergen tablets and told that I was quarantined to my room. By 3PM I was worse, so back down I went and was given IV fluids and a stronger nausea medication. They also did blood work. I asked about the fee and was advised that no fee applies to upper GI issues. I have to say that the medical staff was the best:) They were extremely professional and caring. Room service brought me my dinner...3 cans of ginger ale, a bottle of water, a bowl of jello, white toast and chicken broth;) Like I wanted to eat:eek: Oh and I was able to watch all of the movies I wanted @ N/C. This is really crummy stuff and I'm still experiencing some issues. The moral to this story...use lots of hand sanitizer.

Oh man.....that would be the WORST!

Glad you are recovering and I am very sorry that your were effected :(. But - I at least it was the last day and NOT the first one :eek: ;)!

I know...if it had to happen, at least it was on the last day. It made for a very long trip home, but my saltines saved me:D

Did they actually say it was norvirus or upper gi stuff????? How many other people were affected on the ship??? what has your doctor said???

Sailing on splendor soon and little concerned that it has this issue.

BG

Did they actually say it was norvirus or upper gi stuff????? How many other people were affected on the ship??? what has your doctor said???

BG

Aren't they the same thing???

No--a test would have to be performed to confirm it was norvirus--I do not think the ship had time to do analysis on samples--they usually have to send them off the ship..

BG

I feel your pain. I was on the Dream April 17-24 and came down with Norovirus my 2nd day. I have immune issues so when I get sick it is bad. I was sick the entire cruise, spent time getting fluids and meds from the infirmiry, and ended up in the hospital for 3 days when I got home I was that dehydrated. It was awful. Everyone else ended up having a wonderful cruise.

No--a test would have to be performed to confirm it was norvirus--I do not think the ship had time to do an analysis of samples--they usually have to send them off the ship.

BG

No--a test would have to be performed to confirm it was norvirus--I do not think the ship had time to analysis samples--they usually have to send them off the ship??

BG

From the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

Norovirus: Q&Aspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifViral Gastroenteritis > Norovirus > Q&A

What are noroviruses?

Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause gastroenteritis (GAS-tro-en-ter-I-tis) in people. Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach and intestines. The term norovirus is the official name for this group of viruses; however, several other names were used previously for noroviruses:

• Norwalk-like viruses (NLVs),
  • caliciviruses (because they belong to the virus family Caliciviridae), and
  • small round structured viruses.

Viruses are very different from bacteria and parasites, some of which can cause illnesses similar to norovirus infection. Like all viral infections, noroviruses are not affected by treatment with antibiotics and cannot grow outside of a person’s body.

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people also have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness is self-limiting, with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, diarrhea is more common in children and vomiting is more common in adults.

to_top.gif

What is the name of the illness caused by noroviruses?

Illness caused by norovirus infection has several names:

• stomach flu – this “stomach flu” is not related to the flu (or influenza), which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus;
  • viral gastroenteritis – this is the most common name for illness caused by norovirus. Gastroenteritis refers to an inflammation of the stomach and intestines;
  • acute gastroenteritis;
  • non-bacterial gastroenteritis;
  • food poisoning (although there are other causes of food poisoning); and
  • calicivirus infection.

How serious is norovirus disease?

People may feel very sick and vomit many times a day, but most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness. However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea. These persons can become dehydrated (lose too much water from their body) and may need special medical attention. During norovirus infection, this problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and people with other illness. (For more information see Is there a treatment for norovirus infection?)

How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways:

• by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,
  • by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and
  • by having direct contact with another person who is infected (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout such environments.

to_top.gif

When do symptoms appear?

Symptoms of norovirus illness usually begin about 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but they can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Are noroviruses contagious?

Noroviruses are very contagious and can spread easily from person to person. Both stool and vomit are infectious. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea.

How long are people contagious?

People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. The virus may be shed (discharged from the body through vomit or stool) for 2 weeks or more after recovery, although it is unclear whether the virus shed during this time is infectious. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.

Who gets norovirus infection?

Anyone can become infected with noroviruses. There are many different strains of norovirus, which makes it difficult for a person’s body to develop long-lasting immunity. Therefore, norovirus illness can recur throughout a person’s lifetime. In addition, because of differences in genetic factors, some people are more likely to become infected with noroviruses and develop more severe illness than others.

Is there a treatment for norovirus infection?

There is no vaccine to prevent norovirus infection. And there is no drug to treat people who are infected with the virus. Antibiotic drugs will not help if you have norovirus infection. This is because they fight against bacteria not viruses.

Norovirus illness is usually brief in people who are otherwise healthy. But, the infection can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. This can lead to dehydration (loss of too much water from the body). During norovirus infection, young children, the elderly, and people with other illnesses are most at risk for dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration in adults and children include a decrease in urination, a dry mouth and throat, and feeling dizzy when standing up. A dehydrated child may also cry with few or no tears and be unusually sleepy or fussy.

Dehydration can lead to other serious problems. And severe dehydration may require hospitalization for treatment with intravenous (IV) fluids. Thus it is important to prevent dehydration during norovirus illness. The best way to protect against dehydration is to drink plenty of liquids. The most helpful fluids for this purpose are oral rehydration fluids (ORF)*. Other drinks that do not contain caffeine or alcohol can also help with mild dehydration. However, these drinks may not replace important nutrients and minerals lost due to vomiting and diarrhea.

Severe dehydration can be serious. If you think you or someone you are caring for is severely dehydrated, contact your healthcare provider.

*Several products with ingredients similar to those in ORFs can be used to prevent or treat mild dehydration. These products—called oral rehydration solutions—are sold as pre-mixed fluids. Following is a list of some oral rehydration solutions commonly available in U.S. food and drug stores: Infalyte, Kao Lectrolyte, Naturalyte, Oralyte, and Pedialyte. If you are unsure about which product to use or how to use these pre-mixed fluids, contact your healthcare provider.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?

You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

• Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.
  • Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.
  • Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
  • Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
  • Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.

Persons who are infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for at least 2-3 days after they recover from their illness (see food handler Q&A). Food that may have been contaminated by an ill person should be disposed of properly.

From the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

Norovirus: Q&Aspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifViral Gastroenteritis > Norovirus > Q&A

What are noroviruses?

Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause gastroenteritis (GAS-tro-en-ter-I-tis) in people. Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach and intestines. The term norovirus is the official name for this group of viruses; however, several other names were used previously for noroviruses:

• Norwalk-like viruses (NLVs),
  • caliciviruses (because they belong to the virus family Caliciviridae), and
  • small round structured viruses.

Viruses are very different from bacteria and parasites, some of which can cause illnesses similar to norovirus infection. Like all viral infections, noroviruses are not affected by treatment with antibiotics and cannot grow outside of a person’s body.

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people also have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness is self-limiting, with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, diarrhea is more common in children and vomiting is more common in adults.

to_top.gif

What is the name of the illness caused by noroviruses?

Illness caused by norovirus infection has several names:

• stomach flu – this “stomach flu” is not related to the flu (or influenza), which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus;
  • viral gastroenteritis – this is the most common name for illness caused by norovirus. Gastroenteritis refers to an inflammation of the stomach and intestines;
  • acute gastroenteritis;
  • non-bacterial gastroenteritis;
  • food poisoning (although there are other causes of food poisoning); and
  • calicivirus infection.

How serious is norovirus disease?

People may feel very sick and vomit many times a day, but most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness. However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea. These persons can become dehydrated (lose too much water from their body) and may need special medical attention. During norovirus infection, this problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and people with other illness. (For more information see Is there a treatment for norovirus infection?)

How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways:

• by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,
  • by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth, and
  • by having direct contact with another person who is infected (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout such environments.

to_top.gif

When do symptoms appear?

Symptoms of norovirus illness usually begin about 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but they can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Are noroviruses contagious?

Noroviruses are very contagious and can spread easily from person to person. Both stool and vomit are infectious. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea.

How long are people contagious?

People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. The virus may be shed (discharged from the body through vomit or stool) for 2 weeks or more after recovery, although it is unclear whether the virus shed during this time is infectious. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.

Who gets norovirus infection?

Anyone can become infected with noroviruses. There are many different strains of norovirus, which makes it difficult for a person’s body to develop long-lasting immunity. Therefore, norovirus illness can recur throughout a person’s lifetime. In addition, because of differences in genetic factors, some people are more likely to become infected with noroviruses and develop more severe illness than others.

Is there a treatment for norovirus infection?

There is no vaccine to prevent norovirus infection. And there is no drug to treat people who are infected with the virus. Antibiotic drugs will not help if you have norovirus infection. This is because they fight against bacteria not viruses.

Norovirus illness is usually brief in people who are otherwise healthy. But, the infection can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. This can lead to dehydration (loss of too much water from the body). During norovirus infection, young children, the elderly, and people with other illnesses are most at risk for dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration in adults and children include a decrease in urination, a dry mouth and throat, and feeling dizzy when standing up. A dehydrated child may also cry with few or no tears and be unusually sleepy or fussy.

Dehydration can lead to other serious problems. And severe dehydration may require hospitalization for treatment with intravenous (IV) fluids. Thus it is important to prevent dehydration during norovirus illness. The best way to protect against dehydration is to drink plenty of liquids. The most helpful fluids for this purpose are oral rehydration fluids (ORF)*. Other drinks that do not contain caffeine or alcohol can also help with mild dehydration. However, these drinks may not replace important nutrients and minerals lost due to vomiting and diarrhea.

Severe dehydration can be serious. If you think you or someone you are caring for is severely dehydrated, contact your healthcare provider.

*Several products with ingredients similar to those in ORFs can be used to prevent or treat mild dehydration. These products—called oral rehydration solutions—are sold as pre-mixed fluids. Following is a list of some oral rehydration solutions commonly available in U.S. food and drug stores: Infalyte, Kao Lectrolyte, Naturalyte, Oralyte, and Pedialyte. If you are unsure about which product to use or how to use these pre-mixed fluids, contact your healthcare provider.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?

You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

• Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.
  • Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.
  • Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
  • Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
  • Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.

Persons who are infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for at least 2-3 days after they recover from their illness (see food handler Q&A). Food that may have been contaminated by an ill person should be disposed of properly.

So--every experienced cruiser has read that--however the final determination is done by an analysis in the lab--which is usually off of the ship.

BG

So--every experienced cruiser has read that--however the final determination is done by an analysis in the lab--which is usually off of the ship.

BG

First time I've read it.......guess I don't quilify as experienced......Thanks for the info happy!

We went on our first cruise in March of 2006, my nephew was getting married on the beaches of St Thomas when we docked there. The night before we sailed we were watching the news and it came across that the ship we were going on had an epidemic of norovirus.. We thought great, but what can we do now. They spent extra time cleaning the ship before we were allowed to board. Our first full day was at sea, the next day we docked and my parents said they were staying on the ship as my mom wasn't feeling well. When we got back on, we got in the elevator and my parents were there.. Guess what, my mom had it and they were quantined to their room. My nephew wasn't to get married until Thursday so they were hoping she would be better by then. My Wednesday, my dad had also come down with it, so being the stubborn person he is, when they called to see how he was feeling he lied.. He wasn't going to miss his grandsons wedding. Although they still weren't feeling well, they were able to go to the wedding, but had an awful experience on their first and last cruise. There were over 20 of us on that cruise and they were the only ones that got sick. But truly not a good experience for them. I have since been on two other cruises and have not had a bad experience. As the saying goes "it happens". Thankfully they were able to attend the wedding, but literally spent most of the cruise in their cabin. They were very glad they had a balcony so they were able to be away from each other when they were not feeling well.

We went on our first cruise in March of 2006, my nephew was getting married on the beaches of St Thomas when we docked there. The night before we sailed we were watching the news and it came across that the ship we were going on had an epidemic of norovirus.. We thought great, but what can we do now. They spent extra time cleaning the ship before we were allowed to board. Our first full day was at sea, the next day we docked and my parents said they were staying on the ship as my mom wasn't feeling well. When we got back on, we got in the elevator and my parents were there.. Guess what, my mom had it and they were quantined to their room. My nephew wasn't to get married until Thursday so they were hoping she would be better by then. My Wednesday, my dad had also come down with it, so being the stubborn person he is, when they called to see how he was feeling he lied.. He wasn't going to miss his grandsons wedding. Although they still weren't feeling well, they were able to go to the wedding, but had an awful experience on their first and last cruise. There were over 20 of us on that cruise and they were the only ones that got sick. But truly not a good experience for them. I have since been on two other cruises and have not had a bad experience. As the saying goes "it happens". Thankfully they were able to attend the wedding, but literally spent most of the cruise in their cabin. They were very glad they had a balcony so they were able to be away from each other when they were not feeling well.

Yep...unfortunately with that many people - it tends to spread quickly, too! :eek:

BG

Well, I'll put it this way...the infirmiry completed CDC paperwork, my room service tray had a red biohazard plastic bag as its place mat and my room steward was wearing a mask when I left on Sunday AM. My SIL is a pediatrician and thought there was no question as to what I had, as did my primary care, who I went to on Monday.

I see that you're on the Splendor next week, so have a great time:) She's really a great ship.

Well, I'll put it this way...the infirmiry completed CDC paperwork, my room service tray had a red biohazard plastic bag as its place mat and my room steward was wearing a mask when I left on Sunday AM. My SIL is a pediatrician and thought there was no question as to what I had, as did my primary care, who I went to on Monday.

I see that you're on the Splendor next week, so have a great time:) She's really a great ship.

Thanks for the information--i hope you are feeling better----

BG

BG

Wash your hands regularly and try not to touch your face or mouth. Other than that, don't worry too much. Noro gets bad press on ships because they have to report it - you could just as easily pick it up from your child, at the grocery store, visiting a relative in a nursing home, church, work - pretty much anywhere people congregate. It spread a little faster in a confined environment like a ship, school or nursing home but if you aren't worried about getting it while you are on land, then just take basic precautions and don't worry about it on the ship.

I had it a few years ago (not on a ship - parents picked it up at my aunt's nursing home and then I visited the next week) and it was truly awful. Part of why it spreads so quickly is the virus can live on surfaces a long time. My parents had been over it a week when I visited. The day after I got home I had it. Good news is, for most with a healthy immune system it's over in about 24-48 hours.

BG

As a Nurse I can tell you there is just as much Noro off cruise ships than on. It happens at ANY gathering of alot of people and often food is the vector for transmission although surface contamination is also a problem. On ships it can spread between the passengers rapidly which is the reason for the isolation of passengers who show symptoms. It is a virus that almost all adults and children have had many times. It is NOT a "cruiseship" specific problem although that gets the most news, especially on slow news days. The good thing is it is a rather fragile virus and easily killed by cleaning. Hand sanitizer and washing you hands works well, although as human as we are, we will continue to get various Noro viruses throughout our lives whether we cruise or not. Yes it can been dangerous to some people who get complications, but for most, it is just a "bug". People can die of a common cold, if they get complications as well.

Archived