We took the bus to Paynes Beach

JJPacer

We took the blue bus to Paynes Beach. It is an easy walk to the bus terminal. Walk straight out of the port gate and keep walking straight. About a 10 min. walk. The terminal is on the left side of the road. If you ever have to cross a road on foot in Barbados, try to cross at a cross walk. The triffic is terrible and they drive very fast. Remember they drive on the left side of the road, so look to your left. You have to allow more time to cross the street, because of the speed of the vehicles. We bought our tokens at the terminal. You have to buy their tokens ahead of time. They do not take US$, or BD$. Only the bus token. The bus was clean, safe, and the driver dropped us off where we asked him to. The people at the bus station were helpful in showing us which bus we needed to take. The only negative is the bus is not air conditioned. It was hot.

We took the bus back from Paynes to the cruise terminal. A yellow bus stopped and told us to hop on. The yellow bus takes BD$. We said we only had blue bus token. He said that was OK. So we got on. This bus was very crowded, not air conditioned, and the driver drove like a mad man. Very fast, slamming on the brakes, crossing into oncoming traffic lanes to pass vehicles, etc. Very loud rap type music blaring. There was a 2nd man who stood in the door of the bus, calling to people on the street to see if they wanted to board the bus. My impression was that they were trying to take passengers away from the blue bus. I am not sure if the yellow bus always takes blue bus tokens or not. The yellow bus terminal is right next to the blue bus terminal, so we got off there and walked back to the pier. The Barbados drivers do respect the cross walks. Use them as much as possible. It's much safer crossing the street.

We decided to take a cab to Rockley, because it was so hot. The cab was $20.00 US. The beach is beautiful. We walked on the boardwalk. We did not walk to the Coconut Hotel, since it was so hot. We enjoyed the beach. It was rush hour when we wanted to return to the ship. We waited about 20 min. for a bus to return to the ship, but none came. We decided to take a taxi back, as we didn't want to be late.

There is a hotel there, so there's probably food in the hotel. We didn't look for food, as it was our first stop in the morning. There were chairs to rent. I don't know how much, because we just snorkeled out to the turtles, and when we returned we left. I didn't see anywhere where you can rent snorkel equipment at the beach, unless the hotel has something you can rent. You can bring your own. If you just bring the mask and snorkel, it doesn't take up much room in your luggage. The prices in Barbados are reasonable. We didn't eat there, but it would not be terribly expensive. A CC group member bought some snorkiel gear in Barbados to use on other islands.

We took the blue bus to Paynes Beach. It is an easy walk to the bus terminal. Walk straight out of the port gate and keep walking straight. About a 10 min. walk. The terminal is on the left side of the road. If you ever have to cross a road on foot in Barbados, try to cross at a cross walk. The triffic is terrible and they drive very fast. Remember they drive on the left side of the road, so look to your left. You have to allow more time to cross the street, because of the speed of the vehicles. We bought our tokens at the terminal. You have to buy their tokens ahead of time. They do not take US$, or BD$. Only the bus token. The bus was clean, safe, and the driver dropped us off where we asked him to. The people at the bus station were helpful in showing us which bus we needed to take. The only negative is the bus is not air conditioned. It was hot.

We took the bus back from Paynes to the cruise terminal. A yellow bus stopped and told us to hop on. The yellow bus takes BD$. We said we only had blue bus token. He said that was OK. So we got on. This bus was very crowded, not air conditioned, and the driver drove like a mad man. Very fast, slamming on the brakes, crossing into oncoming traffic lanes to pass vehicles, etc. Very loud rap type music blaring. There was a 2nd man who stood in the door of the bus, calling to people on the street to see if they wanted to board the bus. My impression was that they were trying to take passengers away from the blue bus. I am not sure if the yellow bus always takes blue bus tokens or not. The yellow bus terminal is right next to the blue bus terminal, so we got off there and walked back to the pier. The Barbados drivers do respect the cross walks. Use them as much as possible. It's much safer crossing the street.

We decided to take a cab to Rockley, because it was so hot. The cab was $20.00 US. The beach is beautiful. We walked on the boardwalk. We did not walk to the Coconut Hotel, since it was so hot. We enjoyed the beach. It was rush hour when we wanted to return to the ship. We waited about 20 min. for a bus to return to the ship, but none came. We decided to take a taxi back, as we didn't want to be late.

JJPacer, I'm just curious to which beach you preferred (between Paynes or Rockley) ?

JJPacer, thanks for your reply. I have been to Paynes beach and liked it there but never to Rockley. Judging by Aplmac's beautiful photos I would have to agree that Rockley's beach looks nicer. Aplmac I noticed you live on the island, would you say this beach (Rockley) is one of the prettiest on Barbados ?

Judging by Aplmac's beautiful photos I would have to agree that Rockley's beach looks nicer.

Aplmac I noticed you live on the island,

would you say this beach (Rockley) is one of the prettiest on Barbados ?

Rockley may be only about 1/3 mile long but yes it's a pretty beach.

Rockley-017.jpg

Crane is also scenic to look at from up on top the cliff..

Crane-030.jpg

but swimming there can be difficult: big breakers tend to pound on the beach.

So many of our beaches are nice: it's a beach island!

When you live here most of your life

it all gets to be kinda ho-hum, unfortunately.

When we arrived at Paynes Beach, there were 2 or 3 catermans out feeding the turtles. So the turtles were easy to find. It is quite a long swim. You have to be a strong swimmer to make it. Pics didn't turn out well. Visiblity was poor. We didn't see anything else. No coral or other fish. I swam about 1/2 way, and one of the catemerans started it's engine, and pulled out, not too far in front of me. Scared me! There are also wave runners rented from the beach, and you have to watch out for those as well.

If your itinerary takes you to Bonaire, wait and snorkel there. You will see lots of tutles, coral, and an abundence of fish. The visibility if much better.

We were at Paynes same day as JJPacer - were on the same cruise. We did enjoy seeing the turtles but as for all around snorkeling this does not compare to many other places in the Caribbean. We did see one ray.

Had a nice morning, but with it checked off the list probably will not go back.

Rockley may be only about 1/3 mile long but yes it's a pretty beach.

Rockley-017.jpg

Crane is also scenic to look at from up on top the cliff..

Crane-030.jpg

but swimming there can be difficult: big breakers tend to pound on the beach.

So many of our beaches are nice: it's a beach island!

When you live here most of your life

it all gets to be kinda ho-hum, unfortunately.

Aplmac,

I see that you are from Barbados.

May I pick your brain for tour suggestions?

We have been to your island a few years ago on Carnival, now we are visiting again via RCI.

We just want to visit Harrison's Cave and find a beach to snorkel and swim with the turtles.

First, is this possible on our 9 hour visit? We want to spend about 2 - 3 hours at a beach.

How would we do this? Hire a private tour op ? Any suggestions?

Would there be any time left to see other things?

Thanks very much,

Mitch.........

We just want to visit Harrison's Cave

and find a beach to snorkel and swim with the turtles.

First, is this possible on our 9 hour visit? ===> Yes.

We want to spend about 2 - 3 hours at a beach.

How would we do this? Hire a private tour op ? Any suggestions?

Would there be any time left to see other things? ===> Yes, should be.

Harrison's Cave is right in the central highlands of the island.

Do the Caves first and then get yourself to either Holetown beach

HtownBay-413.jpg

..or to Paynes Bay

Jski-1265.jpg

..both of which are what? 3-4 miles West of the Caves?

That transit should take no more than 15-20 mins. tops

unless you stop somewhere en route like Earthworks Pottery or some such.

If you get going early (-off the ship by 0900 hrs.)

you should find yourself with considerable spare time after Caves and turtles/beach time.

If anything will cut your day short, it'll be too much rum punch in the heat and humidity (if it's that kinda day). :D

How to do it?

Walk out of the cruise terminal, heading out..follow the crowd heading towards Bridgetown.

Pick a civilized taxi driver OUTside the Port's gatehouse and do a deal.

Most of those guys are OK, informative and willing to do whatever you want to do for your day ashore.

It's all the same driving to them. :cool:

Aplmac,

thanks so much for the suggestions.

We usually like to have a tour op booked prior to arrival.

I will talk it over with my group and see what they say.

How are the 2 beaches that you mentioned? Any facilities there? Can we go on a glass bottom boat ride from there?

Thanks again,

Mitch......

• 3 weeks later...

About how long would it take to get to rockley beach from cruise ship dock by taxi? we have about 3 hrs before the beginning of our shipwreck snorkel... And is taxi transportation reliable, meaning will there be many available for our return trip to pier?

ty

About how long would it take to get to rockley beach from cruise ship dock by taxi?

we have about 3 hrs before the beginning of our shipwreck snorkel...

And is taxi transportation reliable, meaning will there be many available for our return trip to pier?

Bridgetown Port to Rockley Beach by taxi should be about 10-15 mins. (worst case:20)

depending on traffic thru/around Bridgetown.

There is a taxi stand at Accra Hotel(on Rockley Beach) just waiting to take you back to the Port.

Even in the peculiar eventuality that all the taxi guys are busy

you're right on the very busy South Coast Main Road, where transport abounds

-passing taxis, buses going straight into town,etc.

Archived