Naples, Herculaneum AND pompeii? ?

s0nya

Hello! I was wondering if it's possible to get from pompeii to herculaneum using public transport, and if so what is the best way to do this? We have quite a bit of time at the naples port so we thought it might be good to see both.

Also if anyone can help with getting from naples to pompeii, and from herculaneum back to naples. We would rather not deal with cabs, so hopefully a train or bus. and we don't mind walking a good amount!

Thanks!

The Circumvesuviana train runs between Naples and Sorrento. The stop for Herculaneum is Ercolano, and the stop for Pompeii is Pompei Scavi.

Here's a recent thread which should be helpful; note post #11: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1186258

I found Rick Steves Italy book to be a good source of info on this area, including detailed info on the Circumvesuviana train.

If you would like to locate other past threads on this topic, use the "Search This Forum" function and do a search of Circumvesuviana.

It would be quite easy using the train. Walk (or take a cab or bus) to the Porta Nolana Corso Garibaldi - Circumvesuviana Train station. It is about 1 mile from the port. From there the train stops as outlined already, Herculaneum stop is "Ercolano Scavi" and is about 20 minutes from Naples, the Pompeii stop is the "Pompei - Scavi Villa dei Misteri" stop, about another 10 minutes. Based on my research, Pompeii takes anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on the group and their level of interest. Herculaneum is smaller and less crowded. The train ticket you need, a Unico Campania or U-3 will take you to both. They cost 4.60 euros round trip. On your return you can get off at the main Naples station, the Garibaldi Stazione Centrale FS and than use the metro. My understanding is that the U-3 is good for the day on both the train and the metro.

We plan on doing what I described above and using the metro to go to the Archaeological Museum after our visit to Pompeii. We may or may not visit Herculaneum. If you try to do both, I would do Pompeii first as you will probably beat the tours from the ship there if you go first thing.

As others pointed out, a search on either Pompeii or Herculaneum will reveal some great detailed posts by fellow CC'ers. ;)

Good Luck!

The train ticket you need, a Unico Campania or U-3 will take you to both. They cost 4.60 euros round trip. On your return you can get off at the main Naples station, the Garibaldi Stazione Centrale FS and than use the metro. My understanding is that the U-3 is good for the day on both the train and the metro.

Kirk has it almost exactly.

The ticket is a UnicoCampania U3, but you must specify that you want the full day (Gionaliero) ticket, which costs Euro 4,70. On the weekends is it slightly less, Euro 3,80 and is called the Weekend Giornaliero. There is also a one-hour U3 ticket for Euro 2,40, but this is not what you want.

You can read more about the tickets here: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=biglietti&action=1

a few quick questions, on the other post that was linked in the thread, she says "Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station" but here it was posted to go to the "Porta Nolana Corso Garibaldi"

is this the same station?

Also, is there a specific train route I should be taking or is it just called 'circumvesuviana'? And should I be headed in the direction of sorrento to get to herc/pompeii?

Thanks!

Archived