Suggestions: Not Big Shoppers, Don't Desire Stingray Crowds

Goobaroo

Hello!

We will be visiting Grand Cayman on Carnival Legend in September.

Would love your feedback and ideas for our visit which DO NOT include a visit to Stingray City.

We are not big shoppers, enjoy a little window shopping but would prefer something more authentic than jewelry stores and trinkets.

OUT: Stingray City cliche and crowds, Prada/Gucci scene, all-day sunbathing and book on the beach

IN: Snorkeling, local flavor, history, unique adventures, less crowded venues

Thanks!

We had basically the same requirements. Last year we did Carnival's "Best of Cayman Islands" excursion that went to the Turtle Farm and Hell. It wasn't adventurous at all, but we weren't looking to do much since it was January 1st and we had a late night the night before. If you just want to see some of the island by bus, see the turtles, get a picture or two at Hell, then this will work.

Next month we're doing Carnival's "Grand Cayman Kayak Safari". It sounds good, but since we haven't done it yet I can't give you a recommendation.

• 1 month later...

I agree that the bus tour that includes the turtle farm and the town of Hell is lazy and laid back. We've done this tour and we had our postcards ready to mail in Hell because we wanted our friends to get the postmark. We also mailed one to our home for a souvenior (that will arrive long after you arrive back home). We sampled lots of rum cakes and liquor in the shops and then went back to the ship where we had a couple of quiet uncrowded hours by the pool. Ahhh........can't wait. We have another cruise booked for next summer that will stop in Grand Caymen. We will skip the Turtle Farm (once is really enough), and just sample and buy booze and head back to the ship...our favorite destination anyway.:D

Look at cayman in a nutshell dot com we did the cayman in a nutshell tour but they have a tour that goes to the east end of the island from what I understand not very many people see. If we didn't have the kids with us this last time around we would have tried that one, something different.

Try heading up to Rum Point. Its on the North of the island, about 30 mins drive along the coast from Georgetown. Popular with locals and has a relaxed feel, no crowds and its a public beach with hammocks, benches etc. Few nice places to eat and drink (try a frozen mudslide). There is also a small water sports centre. If your timings are right you can get the boat back via the canal.

Try heading up to Rum Point. Its on the North of the island, about 30 mins drive along the coast from Georgetown. Popular with locals and has a relaxed feel, no crowds and its a public beach with hammocks, benches etc. Few nice places to eat and drink (try a frozen mudslide). There is also a small water sports centre. If your timings are right you can get the boat back via the canal.

Just a couple of clarifications on Rum Point...

It's about 45 minutes from town, and the only feasible way to get there and back when you're visiting the island via cruise ship is either with an excursion or by renting a car.

I'm not entirely sure what the OP is referring to about a boat back via the canal, but the water taxi / shuttle that I'm guessing they mean was discontinued a number of years ago.

If you're there during the day, there is one beach bar that serves food and drinks, a small gift shop and a watersports rental place. That's it...other than beach and neighbouring houses. :D

The facilities like the hammocks, lounge chairs, showers, washrooms, etc. are provided by the beach bar as a courtesy to their patrons. You don't have to order food or drinks, but they discourage you from bringing your own with you.

It's a nice beach, but can be very crowded if there are a lot of excursions there that day or if it's a weekend or holiday.

Hello!

We will be visiting Grand Cayman on Carnival Legend in September.

Would love your feedback and ideas for our visit which DO NOT include a visit to Stingray City.

We just returned from the Grand Cayman Islands and enjoyed our cruise on the Carnival Legend. I must share the experience we had in Grand Cayman. I do not like crowds either and we were a group of 6 people. I booked an excursion with GrandCaymanCruiseExcursions.com This is how it is advertised:

The Outrage Stingray City & Eco-Tour can be privately chartered as a half day private charter (4hrs, $400usd) or a full day private charter (6hrs $500usd) for up to 6 passengers in your private group. Both excursions will take you to explore our beautiful underwater world as well as our hidden mangrove eco-system.

Our group chose to book the $500 boat tour. We had only our group. We arrived at Stingray City about 30 minutes before any other boats. We took photos and fed the Stingrays and also found several conch shells which we photographed and then returned to the water. Next we went snorkeling (Alone) on the reef. Our guide John Michael was AWESOME! He then took us to a secluded beach and we walked around. Then he took us to a second beach and dove up about 30 starfish. We photographed those and walked another deserted beach. He then took us out in the mangroves and showed us jelly fish beds and explained the groves. On the way back to the pier he stopped and dove us up some sea urchins! My whole family said this was the most awesome experience they have ever had the opportunity to share! I would recommend John Michael to anyone. He also has a sailboat experience. He has a secured facility and the van is locked up with your stuff while you are out in the boat. Awesome, great fun!

• 1 month later...

Archived