Island vs. Sea Princess for Panama Canal

TrojanJulez

Hello!

I am trying to decide between two full-transit Panama Canal cruises, both from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale. We could book the Island Princess for 15 days or the Sea Princess for 16 days. The itineraries are nearly identical, but the 16-day Sea Princess cruise includes an additional port of San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. I know that longer is always better (:)), but what about differences between the two ships?

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Hello!

I am trying to decide between two full-transit Panama Canal cruises, both from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale. We could book the Island Princess for 15 days or the Sea Princess for 16 days. The itineraries are nearly identical, but the 16-day Sea Princess cruise includes an additional port of San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. I know that longer is always better (:)), but what about differences between the two ships?

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Well, the Island Princess is about 13,000 tons bigger than the Sea Princess, but carries about 20 less passengers, so you'll have a better space ratio... 45 vs 39.5. I've been on both classes of ships and have to say that I like the Island/Coral twins better. You can definitely see the evolution from the Sun class to the Coral class... they just made the ships better than what went before.

The Island/Coral twins are larger vessels and have more space than the Sea does.

As Panamax vessels they are uniquely designed to be the largest vessels to transit the existing Panama Canal right of way. Interior wise, the Island is super in as much as while there are greater numbers of pax, the layout of the interior design of the vessel provides for a layout in which you are not overwhelmed by all the pax onboard.

Much depends on whether you are focussed on ports of call and/or accumulation of days for Captain's Circle purposes. Either way, you can be assured that your full transit through the "Big Ditch" will be memorable because with Princess you can always Escape Completely.

Heading SFO/FLL I would recommend a stateroom on the port side as it would be slightly cooler during and after the transit. Your stateroom will not affect the views as I would suggest the best place to view the transit are through the forward companionway doors on Baja and Caribe decks or aft on Aloha or Promenade as well as on Lido and Sun Decks.

Ciao for now!!!

Well, the Island Princess is about 13,000 tons bigger than the Sea Princess, but carries about 20 less passengers, so you'll have a better space ratio... 45 vs 39.5. I've been on both classes of ships and have to say that I like the Island/Coral twins better. You can definitely see the evolution from the Sun class to the Coral class... they just made the ships better than what went before.

My bad... the Coral/Island sisters carry 20 more passengers than the Sun-class...

I have been on both classes and I much prefer the Island Princess. Better layout, ammenities, etc. Not sure exactly when you are planning to go, but the Island Princess is going into drydock in Sept and will be getting MUTS as well. The only big difference is that on the Island there is no dedicated disco as opposed tot he Sun Class ships.

Tim

I have been on the Sea P and the Coral (sister ship to the Island). While both are very nice, I prefer the libraray of the Coral as there were grat chairs to relax in with a good sea view, and I much prefer the balcony. If you are going down the balcony route, I'd recommend one on caribe deck - twice as large on the Island / Coral as those on the Sea and are half shaded and half exposed.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

Did a full transit on the Island this past March from Acapulco to Ft Lauderdale and thoroughly enjoyed this ship. Just becareful if you pick the Island and want a balcony, make sure you do not have a cabin that is close to a bumpout section that will impede your view when on your balcony. I had TA's offer us midship cabins and it was I who mentioned to them about the bumpout.

Archived