New list of banned items onboard

southwestie

Does anyone know if the new list of banned items by Carnival will apply to Cunard and what the list is exactly.

I read it could be ,

Laptops

power strips

camera chargers

phone chargers

curling tongs and hairdryers

flat irons

most itmes over 700 w which is a high watts

Maybe someone knows the answer

Laptops

power strips

camera chargers

phone chargers

flat irons

most items over 700 w which is a high watts

If Cunard decided to ban the items noted above we for one could definitely not sail with them again. Laptops - essential item for DH who has to be able to log into work at all times. No camera charger??!!!!, no way would i resort to using the excuse of a hairdryer that is provided on the ship, phone chargers, whatever next....................

I hope that the above is just a bad rumour!

Does anyone know if the new list of banned items by Carnival will apply to Cunard and what the list is exactly.

I read it could be ,

Laptops

power strips

camera chargers

phone chargers

flat irons

most itmes over 700 w which is a high watts

Maybe someone knows the answer

Rob, this particular "scare" appears to have started with some badly worded list of "banned" items from Carnival that they later revised. There has been a lot of discussion of the topic over on the Carnival board where there are two stickies on the subject. Our very own Host Mach has posted the revised list of banned items and other concerns. It seems that Carnival have been confiscating certain electrical items that were in poor or unsafe condition, but that most of these items are not specifically banned.

Host Mach's post with probably the best info is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24439610&postcount=398

I think it would be a good idea if Laura or someone were to provide a sticky on this board to reassure people on this, and to clarify whether or not the list applies to Cunard. From a quick scan through the revised list though it all appears to be mostly common sense and doesn't make a great deal of difference to the status quo.

J

Yes Your right, I hope Laura can put up something to let us know, I dont what I would do with a power strip or to be able th charge my phone at the end of a voyage and I use my laptop everyday as well, Iron and hairdryers are fine no problem there.

Can you post the list from carnival on here - is that allowed .

Paraphrasing a certain quote, 'they can have my laptop when they pry it from my cold, dead hands'!

The only way I can justify the time taken for a crossing is if I get two or three hours of writing done a day - if I couldn't then I wouldn't be able to travel in that way.

I also use an ebook - am I to be stopped from reading because I can't charge it up?

I'll bet they let the official photographer charge up their camera equipment :rolleyes:

Can't see any of that happening - whilst I agree that there should be checks of electrical equipment to ensure that it is not dangerous (e.g., wiring, etc.) there could be no justification for banning the items.

Rob, this particular "scare" appears to have started with some badly worded list of "banned" items from Carnival that they later revised. There has been a lot of discussion of the topic over on the Carnival board where there are two stickies on the subject. Our very own Host Mach has posted the revised list of banned items and other concerns. It seems that Carnival have been confiscating certain electrical items that were in poor or unsafe condition, but that most of these items are not specifically banned.

Host Mach's post with probably the best info is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24439610&postcount=398

I think it would be a good idea if Laura or someone were to provide a sticky on this board to reassure people on this, and to clarify whether or not the list applies to Cunard. From a quick scan through the revised list though it all appears to be mostly common sense and doesn't make a great deal of difference to the status quo.

J

Many thanks for posting that link, that is fine so much better.

It just means I have to leave my bike at home and the handcuffs too, cant bring back my caught fish either,

Well I am sure I live without my surfboard, I only ever fell off it anyway, the segway I can leave at home this time, but no taser, that could be hard

Pander to my ignorance here - is a Segway one of those bizarre looking two wheeled things that look as though it would be very easy to fall off them?

J

No taser, handcuffs, brass knuckles or surfboard, and I can only bring a three inch knife? What am I supposed to do for fun on board, go to a lecture? :D

Or possibly, in your role as Mad Scientist, give a lecture :D Now - would that constitute a busman's holiday or a shipman's holiday.

J

Pander to my ignorance here - is a Segway one of those bizarre looking two wheeled things that look as though it would be very easy to fall off them?

J

Yes it is, all too easy I would say, but I wont get the chance now if I have too leave it behind, They think if we have one on board we would not use the tours???

Or possibly, in your role as Mad Scientist, give a lecture :D Now - would that constitute a busman's holiday or a shipman's holiday.

J

It is quite enjoyable going along and watching something else that someone has had to put all of the effort into :D But I'm one of those annoying people who asks questions so I have to restrain myself at times!

As to Segways, I like them and they are remarkably stable - however, I have seen some quite spectacular crashes on them! I've rused one around Epcot at Disneyworld, and they have Segway trips around Cardiff Bay. However, not the sort of thing to be used in the confines of a ship methinks.

The worrying thing is whether they had to bring this rule in because someone actually turned up with one on a ship one day and decided to use it - would have loved to have seen that :eek:

The worrying thing is whether they had to bring this rule in because someone actually turned up with one on a ship one day and decided to use it - would have loved to have seen that :eek:

There's an ad for Virgin Holidays currently airing on TV that shows a whole pop group (I think that's the correct term!) on board a cruise ship of some description and all of them "mounted" on these Segway things. I predict some problems for Carnival now :D

J

Yes it is, all too easy I would say, but I wont get the chance now if I have too leave it behind, They think if we have one on board we would not use the tours???

Time to dig the Sinclair C5 out from under the heap of junk in the garage methinks :eek::D

J

How funny if we all turned up with a C5, they are not on the list.

I always find these lists a little bizarre

Firstly, the devil in me is tempted to bring something not on the list ("but your list didn't say that I COULDN'T bring my hot air balloon'):D

Secondly, I'm not sure I want to be on a trip where the passengers need to be explicitly told to leave their knuckle dusters at home :eek:

Secondly, I'm not sure I want to be on a trip where the passengers need to be explicitly told to leave their knuckle dusters at home :eek:

One of my very first trips on anything that could possibly be construed as a real ship was on the old Royal Ulsterman of Burns and Laird from Glasgow to Belfast on the first night of the Glasgow Fair Holiday. This was back in the 1960s and, as I recall, knuckle dusters were an essential part of the formal night dress code! :eek:

J

One of my very first trips on anything that could possibly be construed as a real ship was on the old Royal Ulsterman of Burns and Laird from Glasgow to Belfast on the first night of the Glasgow Fair Holiday. This was back in the 1960s and, as I recall, knuckle dusters were an essential part of the formal night dress code! :eek:

J

As long as your knuckle duster matched the rest of your ensemble for formal night I'm sure you looked very dapper :D I can see it in the daily programme now - 'Gentlemen are reminded that only highly polished brass knuckle dusters are to be worn on formal night'.

I always find these lists a little bizarre

Firstly, the devil in me is tempted to bring something not on the list ("but your list didn't say that I COULDN'T bring my hot air balloon'):D

Well I dont know, I have met a few people where they could come in handy and brass ones would at least look good, Hot air baloon, hard thing to pack Id have thought

It is quite enjoyable going along and watching something else that someone has had to put all of the effort into :D But I'm one of those annoying people who asks questions so I have to restrain myself at times!

As to Segways, I like them and they are remarkably stable - however, I have seen some quite spectacular crashes on them! I've rused one around Epcot at Disneyworld, and they have Segway trips around Cardiff Bay. However, not the sort of thing to be used in the confines of a ship methinks.

Sometimes segways are a mobility device for people with certain motor disabilities who are not well served by wheelchairs. They are stable once you know how to use them. they are a fun tour choice and the tour operators precede the tours with a mandatory safety class. At least in the US. Can't speak to island ports.

A powerstrip would be handy for charging multiple phones,camera and a laptop, given that there is only one 110 outlet in the stateroom. We used to have to unplug the TV to charge things and are planning to take a surge protector power strip next time. i don't see any safety issue, since these are all low voltage items and the power strip adds its own layer of safety.

Archived