Maui and Kauai parking - with pictures!

Jenbo57

Just got off the POA yesterday. I know a lot of people on these boards have many questions/concerns re: parking at the overnight ports, so I paid special attention to the parking, and even took pictures.

Here you go...

Maui -- the lot closest to the ship (first picture) is small, and I image it fills up fast. No worries, we liked the "overflow" lot much better, and it's steps from the main lot. The only thing we noticed was that a lot of people double parked (as you'll see in the second and third photos) if they got back and the lot was full. People, if you do that, please be careful! I saw at least one car that was blocked by an inconsiderate driver who parked in front of them without leaving enough room for them to pull out of the lot!

869044249_tRcWN-M.jpg

Sign pointing to overflow parking along the seawall.

869044641_ddxtL-M.jpg

869045032_UgLwW-M.jpg

869045424_uLwft-M.jpg

Kauai -- Found out a couple of interesting things about parking; let your conscience be your guide on this one!

We bought our parking pass from JJ's Broiler for $10.00, having been directed there by a woman at a visitor's kiosk out front of the mall. The gentleman who owns JJ's owns the entire mall; the owner of Kauai Car and Scooter Rental leases the back parking lot from him and charges $20.00 for cruise ship parking. So basically, we got a deal! The owner of the rental car/scooter place was surprised that we'd been able to purchase parking from JJ's; but he did say that they'll sometimes do it as a courtesy for someone who's eaten lunch or dinner there. We hadn't eaten there; all we did was ask to buy a parking pass, and they sold us one.

The mall/parking lot is an easy three block walk to the ship. There was a sign saying that there is a shuttle that runs between Anchor Cove and the ship; however, I never saw the shuttle and I don't know how frequently it runs.

This is the back side of the mall (the side facing the ship), and you're looking at the cruise ship parking lot.

869045818_tDVsT-M.jpg

Hope this helps to put some minds to rest! Seriously, parking should NOT be a major concern for you if you're renting cars; it's a breeze!!!

Thank you so much for the photos and the info on purchasing the parking pass from JJ's Broiler. Do you park in the same lot whether you purchase from JJs or from Kauai Car and Scooter Rental?

I hope you had a great cruise!!! We board on the Saturday!! YAHOO!!!

vbmom - Yes, the same lot.

crzyred - You're welcome. I'm a very visual person; it always helps me if I know what I'm looking for. ;)

The cruise was great; we rented cars in all ports and I think we saw everything we possibly could in the time we had. And Kilauea put on an awesome show for us during the sail-by, so we couldn't ask for more. Enjoy!

Thanks for the pics! Very thoughtful of you.

So parking is no problem, now we just need to get our heads around driving on the opposite side of the road to what we are used too!

Kauai -- Found out a couple of interesting things about parking; let your conscience be your guide on this one!

We bought our parking pass from JJ's Broiler for $10.00, having been directed there by a woman at a visitor's kiosk out front of the mall. The gentleman who owns JJ's owns the entire mall; the owner of Kauai Car and Scooter Rental leases the back parking lot from him and charges $20.00 for cruise ship parking. So basically, we got a deal! The owner of the rental car/scooter place was surprised that we'd been able to purchase parking from JJ's; but he did say that they'll sometimes do it as a courtesy for someone who's eaten lunch or dinner there. We hadn't eaten there; all we did was ask to buy a parking pass, and they sold us one.

For the Kauai parking, around what time did you get to the parking lot? Did you buy your pass in the morning and return later or did you just buy your pass in the evening when you were ready to overnight park?

I am not sure what you mean about your conscience being your guide. It doesn't sound like anything improper was done, or am I missing something?

We were there one month ago and had a bit of a different experience. Maybe it is because we arrived back so late. On Maui we had to park at the third parking area. Still not a big deal but a little longer walk. On Kaui we arrived at the very parking lot in your picture. We saw a sign that said "cruise ship parking" No one was there taking money or directing traffic and we just pulled in and parked. Maybe since we were out so late they had quit taking money?

We were there one month ago and had a bit of a different experience. Maybe it is because we arrived back so late. On Maui we had to park at the third parking area. Still not a big deal but a little longer walk. On Kaui we arrived at the very parking lot in your picture. We saw a sign that said "cruise ship parking" No one was there taking money or directing traffic and we just pulled in and parked. Maybe since we were out so late they had quit taking money?

Sorry if you answered this in another thread but how late did you arrive at the parking lot in Kauai?

Thanks in advance!

For the Kauai parking, around what time did you get to the parking lot? Did you buy your pass in the morning and return later or did you just buy your pass in the evening when you were ready to overnight park?

We bought our pass mid-day, after seeing Waimea Canyon and before heading to Princeville/Hanalei Bay. We got back to the lot at about 6:45, and there were at least a dozen spots left.

Also, there are two or three free spots on the street, alongside the mall/parking area. (Personally, I'm not a fan of street parking if I can park in a lot instead, especially with a rental car.)

I am not sure what you mean about your conscience being your guide. It doesn't sound like anything improper was done, or am I missing something?

Not improper, but the person paying the lease on the parking lot would probably appreciate it if people bought their parking passes from him! He was quite surprised that we were able to get one from JJ's; I don't doubt that he'll try to stop that practice, which seems fair to me.

Free parking...sweet! There was somebody sitting in a folding chair taking money when we got back (we'd pre-paid earlier in the day). Maybe they're only out there until Kauai Car & Scooter Rental closes at the end of the day?

Sorry if you answered this in another thread but how late did you arrive at the parking lot in Kauai?

Thanks in advance!

No problem. I remember watching the sunset at Kilauea and then heading back. I don't remember stoppong any where else so I would guess it was somewhere between 8:30 and 9:30. There were plenty of spots to park in also.

• 3 months later...
I have a question:

If no one was there and the lot was full where do you park? And if the lot is full and it is not late does someone help you find another place to park or are you on your own to drive around town and find something?

Someone else needs to answer about Maui because I don't plan to keep my car overnight and haven't done any research on it.

In Kauai, if the lot is full, you're on your own so make sure you buy a parking pass right after you pick up your rental car so you won't be stuck if all the passes are sold out when you return in the evening.

I have a question:

If no one was there and the lot was full where do you park? And if the lot is full and it is not late does someone help you find another place to park or are you on your own to drive around town and find something?

I returned about 7:00 p.m and was able to get a parking spot along the seawall. However, if it was full, I had read many times that you drive up to the fenced in pier area by the cruiseship. There are guards there who will direct you to where to park. You may have to walk a few blocks back to the ship, but I haven't read of anyone who couldnt' find a place to park in Maui.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually live on Kauai and am considering buying my pass before the cruise and having a friend leave my car in the lot for me the morning we arrive so I do not have to bother anyone. When we leave on Friday I will actually park at the airport for one night to pick up saturday morning.

THANKS for the tips on the Maui parking. I had not figured that out. It is nice to see the port has parking for passengers. Do you just show your ship card at the port entry to get in?

Archived