Rough seas or not

lynsteve

We are thinking of doing a cruise next June 2011 and were wondering if the Med gets a rough sea. We intend to sail ex Barcelona to France,Italy and back to Barcelona. The ship would be 130,000, we did the ROTS which was just over 70 around Australia and that was ok in rough seas.

stevo

Can does not mean will. Generally the Med is smooth in the summer, but stuff happens. We had 7-10 seas off of Greece in October one year. It had been smooth in the morning when the Holland ship put off her tenders, but you should have seen those suckers bobbing in the afternoon. Our ship arriving as we did mid day skiped the port call.

Exactly - can does not mean will! I wouldn't have wanted to be on it in any size vessel on Saturday - it was horrendous - mind you we even had whitecaps on our swimming pool!

The Mediterrenean is big anough to have big storms, which can affect any ship any size. Sometimes it doesn´t matter if it´s summer or winter time. Of course in winter, there´s more likely to happen. In Summer and sailing on a big ship the chances are quite minimum, or at least to have a big storm.

There are some "problematic" areas like the Gulf of Leon (South of France), Adriatic, and the Aegean in Autumn. Around Menorca Island tends to be a little bit complicated sometimes.

In any case, it´s a very reliable sea, compared to others.

We are thinking of doing a cruise next June 2011 and were wondering if the Med gets a rough sea. We intend to sail ex Barcelona to France,Italy and back to Barcelona. The ship would be 130,000, we did the ROTS which was just over 70 around Australia and that was ok in rough seas.

stevo

Steve, I have sailed these routes many times. In general we have had good weather and seas in the Med but like anywhere around the world whe you sail you never know if you will encouter rough seas or not.

So, my recommendation to everyone is to always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. By that if the seas are a concern I recommend selecting a cabin on a lower deck and one that is more mid ship and bringing a few sea sickness remedies with you.

More than likely you will be fine but you just can't know for sure.

Keith

Archived