Snorkeling at 7 Mile Beach

outdoordb

Any decent snorkeling at 7 mile beach ? Or don’t waste my time. Wife does not snorkel

Not really...Pretty sandy. But just south of 7MB there are some areas that have decent snorleing.. Cheesburger Reef next to the Burger King as you go out of Georgetwon toward 7MB has reefs just a few yeards off shore. Locals feed the fishes here so they come up to you. Also a couple of wrecks in GT, the Cali and another, can't recall the name. Then just south of GT is Eden Rock. Lots of divers like this spot.

The spots with the best snorkelling have no real beach. The spots with the best beach have no real snorkelling.

Paradise Restaurant (Eden Rock pt.1) has chairs and umbrellas in the restaurant area where your wife could wait for you, or she could pop across the street to the downtown area and shop if she's interested in that type of thing. Most of the other good snorkel spots are about the same, a restaurant or bar where she could sit and wait, but she likely wouldn't want to swim because the water is fairly deep and the shoreline is all rock (ironshore).

A snorkel excursion might be a good option, say by catamaran or larger boat, so that she could see the sites and have fun, but then just stay on the boat and enjoy the sun at the snorkel stops.

A good spot for decent snorkeling and a nice, picturesque beach for non-snorkelers is Smith Cove just SE of the the tender area in George Town. Long walk (+/- 1.5 miles, not recommended) or quick cab or bus ride. No concessions, but restrooms/shower rinse and picnic tables.

I visited Cemetery Beach last week and really enjoyed the snorkeling there. It was a treat for me to not have to swim out very far before we started seeing lots of fish and reef. There are some spots within 10 yards off shore and then some deeper ones about 150-200 yds out. It may not be the best snorkeling in the world, but it is some of the best I have ever experienced so close to shore.

A city bus ride there is only $2.50 pp each way.

Cemetery beach has no facilities thought , right ?

Correct. There was a sign saying "Food and Drinks" but I saw no one selling them anywhere. There were prob 12-15 people there when we were there, but everyone was very spread out. You will definitely want to stop by a convenience store and pick up some drinks and snacks before you head down there and bring your own snorkel gear.

The 3 of us in our party loved it. The beach was rocky and steep in some places, but it gets deep fairly quickly in those areas so you can just swim over the rocks...it may not have been the perfect beach for the family, but it was great for casual snorkelers like us!

Any decent snorkeling at 7 mile beach ? Or don’t waste my time. Wife does not snorkel

Check the Cayman in a Nut Shell thread or check their website for their beach break. Fabulous sandy beach, shade, lounges, umbrellas and tables at the restaurant, and a decent little reef to the right you can easily swim to. Paradise with food and drinks, too. Hmmmm.

• 1 month later...

The beach in front of the Marriott is very nice, plus there is some snorkeling to be had there. They have made an artificial reef in the water, and my husband snorkeled there every day on our last vacation. Not the best snorkeling, but he did see fish and squid.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a number of years, but we stayed at Treasure Island resort there on 7 mile, and it had some fantastic snorkeling. I've snokeled and dove all over the Caribbean and I was surprised at how good the snorkeling was right off the beach with a bisquit in my hand.

Of course this was before hurricane Ivan in 2004.

Hope you find a good spot.;)

Archived