Need Help for the last couple of pounds!!!

I think I've hit a wall...I'm 41, 6'2 and was hitting the 235 pound range...I've played basketball for over 30 years and it's taken a toll on my knees and now with the added weight, I sound like a box of rice krispies when I walk a set of stairs...So, I started with the treadmill, started swimming again and have been doing close to 400 pushups over the course of a week...I'm now down to 220 but when I was consistently losing about a pound a week, I'm stalled...Ideal for me would be around 210-215...Leaving for the Liberty July 4 and would like to get back on the court again...

Anybody have any advice...I haven't gone crazy with the food although yes it is a weakness...Trying to burn more than I eat but for some reason this last bit has ben the toughest...Thanks for the help gang

Change up your workout a bit... perhaps get outside and ride a bike or a day of yard-work, pulling, hauling... don't get discouraged. Sometimes we need to shock our system with a different routine. Our muscles need new movement to respond to. It sounds as though you are doing great with your health regimen! ...and heck, think of the upcoming reward... running on the ship and a frosty beverage pool-side.

I think I've hit a wall...I'm 41, 6'2 and was hitting the 235 pound range...I've played basketball for over 30 years and it's taken a toll on my knees and now with the added weight, I sound like a box of rice krispies when I walk a set of stairs...So, I started with the treadmill, started swimming again and have been doing close to 400 pushups over the course of a week...I'm now down to 220 but when I was consistently losing about a pound a week, I'm stalled...Ideal for me would be around 210-215...Leaving for the Liberty July 4 and would like to get back on the court again...

Anybody have any advice...I haven't gone crazy with the food although yes it is a weakness...Trying to burn more than I eat but for some reason this last bit has ben the toughest...Thanks for the help gang

You've probably thought of this, but the elliptical is a little easier on your knees than the treadmill. I'm older than you, but have used a treadmill for quite a few years and just recently switched to the elliptical and it is kinder to my one knee and hip that sometimes bothered me when using the treadmill. The problem is that it doesn't use the same muscles as walking outside, so I do try to do that as well. You've done so well. Keep up the good work.

Judy

Hi Judy,

Thanks for that...Basic routine for the treadmil is a steady incline for an hour at around 4 mph to build up the quad muscles and take some of the strain off my knee...I've noticed a difference in them when I can go pain free for a couple of days but then will tweak it and have to be careful...

Hit 219 last Saturday so that was a milestone, found it more motivating now...We're leaving in a month so hoping for another 5-6 pounds

Thanks for the tips

Weight lifting along with cardio is great for weight loss. I know this because I have a personal trainer. To drop a few quick pounds try eliminating dairy, breads, sugar, salt and sodas from your diet for a week or so.

Does your workout routine include any lifting?

4 days of an hour each on a steady incline on treadmill

At least 3 days in the pool 1/2 hour each alternating between crawl and backstroke

100-110 pushups per day in sets 5 days a week

I know you're gonna hate me for sayin this but I'm too lazy for lifting...Got no weights and I'm past the whole goin to the gym thing..

Write down everything you eat and cut your calories down to between 1600-2000/day. This works for my husband who is about your size. He loses between 2-4 lbs when he restricts his calories to this level. If you need help counting calories, check out www.my-caloriecounter.com

That's awesome, thanks for the site...Biggest weakness for me is the pop...Not a coffee drinker or a smoker but I love my 710 ml Pepsi's on a hot day...Everyone's told me if I cut those out alone, the drop in sugar is huge but I can't give them up (addicted)

That's awesome, thanks for the site...Biggest weakness for me is the pop...Not a coffee drinker or a smoker but I love my 710 ml Pepsi's on a hot day...Everyone's told me if I cut those out alone, the drop in sugar is huge but I can't give them up (addicted)

Have you tried Coke Zero? My DH resisted diet drinks for a long time but found a few he likes -- Diet Big Red, Diet Mountain Dew and Coke Zero

4 days of an hour each on a steady incline on treadmill

At least 3 days in the pool 1/2 hour each alternating between crawl and backstroke

100-110 pushups per day in sets 5 days a week

I know you're gonna hate me for sayin this but I'm too lazy for lifting...Got no weights and I'm past the whole goin to the gym thing..

LOL! Don't hate you at all! I do a lot of lifting and it is not amongst my favorites but it really does help burn when combined with cardio. Sounds like you are doing quite a bit of work already! Anothr trick my trainer told me was to do intervals on the treadmill going from walking for one minute to jogging for one minute for 20 minutes straight.

I'll try that but gotta watch the knees with the jogging...It's funny, you go for years playing a sport that doesn't give you any trouble and then you hit a certain age or weight and bam, you got a problem...Thanks for all the tips...Hit 218 this week so it's comin' down but damn those lays dill pickle chips can be good...Only took a handful though

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks for the tips everyone gave...Varied the workouts, went from just front crawl in the pool to interval of front, back, and side stroke and varied the treadmill to incorprate some running and I'm down to 214.5 from 235...Feel great and the knees are rounding back into form...Should be back on the court by the time we board the Liberty July 4th...Thanks everyone!!

Archived