quebec with family of 6

Hi,

Our family will be in Quebec May 30. We are a family of six from southern US. Ages of our children are 21, 17, 15 and 13. Three boys and the youngest, a girl. What activities do you recommend in Quebec for a family that likes history and nature? What restaurants do you recommend for that one day we are at port? Do we need to rent a car or can we walk?

In my own opinion, Quebec City is best enjoyed walking. Its probably the most beautiful city in North America hands down! An interesting way is to enjoy a tour is with a horse carriage. You can sometime have guides that are very knowledgable about the unique history of the city. Great place to have is also not very difficul at all. When I go there (saddely not often enough :( ) we just go to any restaurant where the menu looks interesting and honestly I don't remember to have not eaten badly. Might not have been fantastic, but never bad. Quite the contrary, must likely your going to pleasant surprise.

A car might however be needed if you want to venture outside of the city itself like going to "Ile D'Orléans" which is also quite very nice!

Enjoy this very nice city and have fun!

Your kids will love Quebec. They can tour the citadel (fortress), see the Plains of Abraham where the battle was that resulted in France losing almost all its North American territories to England. The boardwalk outside the Chateau Frontenac is wonderful and the kids will enjoy the funicular ride and the stairs between the upper and lower town. You can do this all on your own with a good guidebook.

There are lots of great restaurants. My favorite ones are fancy and pricey. Check in the lower town area and try to get off the main drags a bit for better deals. By law, menus are posted outside so you can get an idea before going in.

Hi,

Our family will be in Quebec May 30. We are a family of six from southern US. Ages of our children are 21, 17, 15 and 13. Three boys and the youngest, a girl. What activities do you recommend in Quebec for a family that likes history and nature? What restaurants do you recommend for that one day we are at port? Do we need to rent a car or can we walk?

As it is just a one-day port visit (Maasdam?), I recommend you stay in town and wander.

Museums/sites to consider:

-Go to the Plains of Abraham (officially Battlefields Park) and check out the canons;

-Musée de la civilisation: right opposite the cruise ship dock, has a permanent exhibit on the history of Québec as well as touring exhibits;

-Place Royale: the interpretation centre is very interesting, and lots of shops in historic buildings;

-Speaking of shopping, Petit-Champlain is a charming shopping arcade right up against the cliff;

-Musée du Fort presents a really cool sound-and-light show (I believe it alternates between French and English showings);

-At least wander through the Château Frontenac; I believe they also offer costumed tours;

-Nearby, I would recommend Aux Anciens Canadiens for lunch, but as previously stated, all restaurants have their menus displayed outside (by law), so you can just read menus until you find one you like. Other restaurant favourites of mine include Le Saint-Amour (favourite of Paul McCartney and Sting :D), and this little hole in the wall called Casse-Crêpe Breton, serving lovely crêpes as well as other fare. If you want a view of the city, head up to

L'Astral, the revolving rooftop restaurant at the Loews Le Concorde.

Archived