UV Filter for Canon SX20

I have a Canon SX20 and would like to get a UV filter for it. Went to the camera shop and they did not have any that fit. Went to Canon's website and there are none. Does anyone know if there is one out there that is compatible>

Thanks, Annieeee

I have a Canon SX20 and would like to get a UV filter for it. Went to the camera shop and they did not have any that fit. Went to Canon's website and there are none. Does anyone know if there is one out there that is compatible>

Thanks, Annieeee

Do you *need* a UV filter for the Canon PowerShot SX20?

Typically, when folks talk about UV filters, they're usually referring to UV filters for their dSLR lenses. I'm not sure that many people use UV filters for their bridge cameras, such as your Canon PowerShot SX20. That's probably why it's so hard to find a UV filter for your camera.

Plus, among dSLR users, there's a HUGE debate about whether UV filters are worthwhile. For sure, UV filters are no longer needed in *digital* photography to block UV light from getting into the *digital* camera. Digital camera sensors are not as sensitive to the effects of UV light as film. For dSLR owners, the only reason to get a UV filter would be to protect the front of the lens from minor scratches, sprays of water, blowing sand, etc.

The potential downside to placing a UV filter in front of your lens would be that it may affect the image quality of your photo, especially the cheap UV filters.

Anyway, if your heart is set on getting a UV filter for your camera, try doing a quick Google search, and you can buy the UV filter online. (here's the link to the search I did) Looks like you can get a UV filter for your camera for about $30-$40.

Hope that helps.

Here's a link to an adapter for your camera at LensMate's site:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sx20sx10sx1.php

They make a bayonet mount that attaches to the hood mount on the front of the lens.

I'll second the previous advice...don't worry about a UV filter. If you use an adapter mount for anything, use it for a polarizer but note that this kind of mount can vignette (dark or blocked corners) at wide angles.

Dave

They make a bayonet mount that attaches to the hood mount on the front of the lens.

I'll second the previous advice...don't worry about a UV filter. If you use an adapter mount for anything, use it for a polarizer but note that this kind of mount can vignette (dark or blocked corners) at wide angles.

Dave

I got the adapter that Dave references here for my Canon SX1 and it works very well. Keep in mind that with the adapter in place, you can not use the lenses hood. The only filter I have used with the SX1 is a polarized filter.

Dave

I've got the Janco from Amazon for my SX20 along with a Bower UV, PL and ND fliter set. I don't get any vignetting from this set or the adapter.

FYI the SX20 is 52MM the step up takes it to 58MM. I leave the UV filter on all the time. It offers nothing but protection from scratches, dust etc. I change out the PL and ND as needed.

Archived