When to go to Hawaii

knarf

I am just now looking into a cruise to Hawaii-Fly to Hon. and then cruise the islands for 7 days. Would Oct. or Jan. be better if we want the nicest weather-little rain, lots of sun, no snow(oops I live in NW. Pa got carried away !! ) Is there a rainy season? Is there a "cooler" season ? Thanks for the help. Sincerely, Knarf (Frank backwards)

While visiting my great Aunt Pattie on Maui her whole life and 81 at the time the subject of weather came up. She asked, " How do you like the weather? This is the dead of winter and it's like this in the summer too." The temp. was 81 and sunny that day in Feb. and the tradewinds blew a nice light breeze. From that I would say anytime is a good time to visit paradise.

I would have to agree with Spleen...even though year-round the temps are in the 80's, January is a little more unpredictable. In October, the nights havent yet cooled off as much as they are now.

It would still not be a washout in Janauary....and it can rain in October, but my feeling is that it is a little warmer and drier in October.

Knarf

My sister in law has gone to Hawaii, usually Maui, every January for many years. They tend to get some rain, but not the whole time. We have been there in May, July and April and have had almost all sunny weather. The biggest factor on when to go seems to be when you want to get away from PA? Whalewatching tops from Dec-April. Cheaper in May and Sept

We've been to Hawaii together in February, March, September, November, and December. This year we're going in June (only time DD can join us)--we avoid summer usually. For work (some time ago), DH spent time in Hawaii during all months at some point. It's rained at least a little every trip. The weather in February was wonderful, but then again it was wonderful every trip. It was hottest in September. In fact, a bit too hot for my taste, but we found out it was a particularly hot late summer that year. So you just never know for sure. You are more likely to have drier and warmer weather in October. The water will also be warmer in October (usually the warmest water of the year).

Bottom line is that it will rain at least a bit somewhere on the islands while you are there. Some places get very little rain (like the Kohala coast on the Big Island); some get more than you can imagine (like Waimea Canyon on Kauai). Our experience has been that it does rain more from December through March. This is also when you are more likely to get Kona storms. Plus the north facing beaches are rough--Oahu north shore gets those killer waves in the winter. In fact, my first trip (during September) DH took me to Sunset Beach (famous in song and movies). The waves were, well, I said "you call those waves???" They couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 feet. We have better waves where we live. OTOH, we were on the Big Island during a Kona storm and the waves right in front of the condo where we were staying were quite large--no snorkeling that trip.

As for temps, it never really gets "cold" unless you go upcountry or to the summit of one of the volcanoes. We're going to Mauna Kea summit this time, so I'm bringing jeans, lined jacket, warm sweater, gloves, and hat. It will be the only time I need them. In fact, on our last two trips, one in March and one in November, we never even bothered to unroll our light jackets. You should bring an umbrella no matter when you go; they come in handy. A light sweater is a good idea too. I understand it's been a somewhat wetter winter than usual.

If I had to choose, I'd pick October.

beachchick

I like summer in Hawaii better than in winter. Except in Honolulu, tradewinds keep thing comfortable and flowers are all in bloom in summer. It's much drier than Carribean summer, so more comfortable. My favorite fruits, mangoes, pineapple and liches are in season, too. I find winter too wet, Kauai especially, and water bit chilly to stay in too long. It's windier and the night can be chilly. My favorite month is May, but October is nice, too. If you want to see whales, then February in the best month and Maui is the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived