raising the price of drinks

jj1975

I am sure some will say "but the cost of cruising is less now than it was ten years ago!"

I wonder about that...

I took my family of four on a 7 day cruise on the Elation during the peak time of late June. I think it was around $2700 for our OV. Drinks were maybe half the cost they are now, pics were either $14 or $16, don't remember which. Along with the captains party and repeaters party, there was the rum swizzle.We had the real baked alaska, cherries jubilee parade, real headlining acts, fresh oj,filet mignon, pizza with real cheese...heck, we even had our mdr waiter assigned to us for breakfast/lunch!

The quality of food and service was much higher than it is now.

I am sure some will say "but the cost of cruising is less now than it was ten years ago!"

I wonder about that...

I took my family of four on a 7 day cruise on the Elation during the peak time of late June. I think it was around $2700 for our OV. Drinks were maybe half the cost they are now, pics were either $14 or $16, don't remember which. Along with the captains party and repeaters party, there was the rum swizzle.We had the real baked alaska, cherries jubilee parade, real headlining acts, fresh oj,filet mignon, pizza with real cheese...heck, we even had our mdr waiter assigned to us for breakfast/lunch!

The quality of food and service was much higher than it is now.

What year was this?

What year was this?

It was 6/99.There were lots of other things too.They had a camp carnival table next to the gangway-all kids got a helium balloon and a goody bag which had a coloring book.

The chocolate left on the pillow was, I think, a repackaged Andes choc mint.That also was the last time I saw prime rib served at lido deck.When it's 10:00pm and you want a snack, why not snag a slice of prime rib?

Out on the pool deck, there was always a band playing too.

Lobster tails really did look like lobster too.

The tradition was to get dressed up on 1st formal night,get hammered on whiskey sours at the captains party, get a formal pic then eat lobster and their yummy mushroom risotto.Oh, those were the days!

Since they stopped the captain's party, we have done two CCL cruises with spouse and I sober in both formal pics. Our smiles don't look as good!

We are platinum but even with perks, our overall cruise experience was better before Cahill took over, hence next months cruise on the Legend which may be our last for awhile, at least with ccl. If ccl doesn't want our money, I am sure someone else will.I am fortunate to have started cruising when cruising was still exciting.

It was 6/99.There were lots of other things too.They had a camp carnival table next to the gangway-all kids got a helium balloon and a goody bag which had a coloring book.

The chocolate left on the pillow was, I think, a repackaged Andes choc mint.That also was the last time I saw prime rib served at lido deck.When it's 10:00pm and you want a snack, why not snag a slice of prime rib?

Out on the pool deck, there was always a band playing too.

Lobster tails really did look like lobster too.

The tradition was to get dressed up on 1st formal night,get hammered on whiskey sours at the captains party, get a formal pic then eat lobster and their yummy mushroom risotto.Oh, those were the days!

Since they stopped the captain's party, we have done two CCL cruises with spouse and I sober in both formal pics. Our smiles don't look as good!

We are platinum but even with perks, our overall cruise experience was better before Cahill took over, hence next months cruise on the Legend which may be our last for awhile, at least with ccl. If ccl doesn't want our money, I am sure someone else will.I am fortunate to have started cruising when cruising was still exciting.

Thanks for your response. I was just curious as my first Carnival cruise was in 2003. The food offerings in the main diningroom were definitely better then than now. Back then, we still had the Gala Buffet (this was on the Paradise), as well as a few other things. I miss the pool deck bands (2009 on the Freedom was the 1st time we did not have a true "band" on the pool deck). We do miss the Captain's party the way it was. Anyhow, this October we will be Platinum. Even though, the food may not be as good as it was, I still feel that Carnival gives us a good value for our money(we are budget travellers, and one of my travel companions qualifies us for the interline rate). We cruise basically to do nothing; we like to relax in a lounge chair all day, basically. In port, we are beach bums. Thanks for your perspective.

Thanks for your response. I was just curious as my first Carnival cruise was in 2003. The food offerings in the main diningroom were definitely better then than now. Back then, we still had the Gala Buffet (this was on the Paradise), as well as a few other things. I miss the pool deck bands (2009 on the Freedom was the 1st time we did not have a true "band" on the pool deck). We do miss the Captain's party the way it was. Anyhow, this October we will be Platinum. Even though, the food may not be as good as it was, I still feel that Carnival gives us a good value for our money(we are budget travellers, and one of my travel companions qualifies us for the interline rate). We cruise basically to do nothing; we like to relax in a lounge chair all day, basically. In port, we are beach bums. Thanks for your perspective.

We are the ultimate in budget cruisers- I do lots of clever things to get points for fre hotels and flights, we often get inside rooms so that we can cruise 3 or 4 x a year. But...the value is not the same. Gala buffet? They use to have some sort of buffet every night around 11:00pm, that petered down to just the mexican buffet.

I really, really wish that CCL would have a cocktail party for platinum people on first elegant night.Doing that would be a way of giving back what we once had.

I gave up two cruises this past year for a new granddaughter! So many things have changed in that short time...Elegant night...now who came up with that name, and why?? Were they trying to tell us that "formal" wasnt cutting it, that we had to look more elegant?? LOL...

I have to agree that the onboard experience has gone nothing but down hill since then. What hooked me is no longer there. We have 2 booked under ES and then I think I'm doing an AI next year instead.

I have to agree that the onboard experience has gone nothing but down hill since then. What hooked me is no longer there. We have 2 booked under ES and then I think I'm doing an AI next year instead.

I honestly don't feel like the lines have changed for the worse since we have started cruising (early 2000's for me and DW, 90's with my parents). I don't find the food that differenent. No gala buffet, and certainly entertainment has changed, I guess I just don't care that much about that stuff. I think the MDR food is BETTER lately, rooms are larger now than when I first cruised, and service seems on par. AND prices have not really gone up, even to keep up with inflation.......

I honestly don't feel like the lines have changed for the worse since we have started cruising (early 2000's for me and DW, 90's with my parents). I don't find the food that differenent. No gala buffet, and certainly entertainment has changed, I guess I just don't care that much about that stuff. I think the MDR food is BETTER lately, rooms are larger now than when I first cruised, and service seems on par. AND prices have not really gone up, even to keep up with inflation.......

I miss the Gala Buffett, enjoyed seeing all the cool things they did and taking the kids. I really, really miss the live band ( not 1-2 people) on the Lido deck. Even the Lido deck entertainment has gone down. We are now religated to Hairy checst and an Ice Sculpture.

The food has gone down hill. It may be getting better lately but still has a long way to go. I've never had a problem with the cabins. The wait staff and stewards seem over worked and that connection you used to make with them is not there anymore either. I havent seen that since 07. While all of this has gone down, drink prices have skyrocketed.

New cruisers don't know what they are missing because they never had it.. As someone stated ( on another thread I believe) since new management has taken over at Carnival it has steadily gone down hill.

It's just differences people notice depending on what their expectations are. I will be cruising on a new ship for us in August so we will see if there is any difference there.

I miss the Gala Buffett, enjoyed seeing all the cool things they did and taking the kids. I really, really miss the live band ( not 1-2 people) on the Lido deck. Even the Lido deck entertainment has gone down. We are now religated to Hairy checst and an Ice Sculpture.

The food has gone down hill. It may be getting better lately but still has a long way to go. I've never had a problem with the cabins. The wait staff and stewards seem over worked and that connection you used to make with them is not there anymore either. I havent seen that since 07. While all of this has gone down, drink prices have skyrocketed.

New cruisers don't know what they are missing because they never had it.. As someone stated ( on another thread I believe) since new management has taken over at Carnival it has steadily gone down hill.

It's just differences people notice depending on what their expectations are. I will be cruising on a new ship for us in August so we will see if there is any difference there.

Your certainly right, it all dpends what your expectations are and what is important to you. I would go so far as to say I dislike most shows on board, but thats just because I find that stuff boring. On the ship or not, it's just not my thing, so since I rarely go to these I can't comment on the quality. I do, however, eat allot. Food still seems fine to me, not gormet, but again if that is what you are expecting you may be disappointed.

I love anytime dining. I do not care about 'connecting' to a certain waiter, or steward, or bar tender. They are always very nice, but I'm not there to make freinds, and would just assume the steward does not come by to hang out and shoot the beeze. Maybe just the cold, antisocial outlook of my generation.......

I agree completely! We didn't even start cruising until 2006, but the service and entertainment after our last 2007 cruise started downhill. Right about the time "Uncle Bob" stepped down. The stuff that hooked us was the same as you - the LIVE entertainment (not 1 or 2 guys with a glorified karaoke machine,) the great service (haven't had truly exceptional service since then - mostly I feel sorry for the waiters as they are too busy to do their jobs really well) and the same with the stewards. Food I think is still good but with slightly less selection, for example the side dishes are the same for every entree each night so if you don't like the sides you are out of luck.

I love to be on a ship at sea, though, so thus far I keep going back and hoping it will improve if they get enough comment cards! We stil have a wonderful time, I just hate to see a company I love and believe in heading down a path that I think will cost them in the long run.

Maybe Carnival needs to send their readers to these threads. Everytime I cruise they get less than great marks. I judge on what I have received in the past and everytime it is lacking. And thats what I write.. Maybe someday enough and they will take heed..:rolleyes:

I have gone on many CCL cruises. I agree with most that service has come down and food choices are not the same.

On our last cruise - Oct 2009 - 5 nights - things were better than Oct 208.

I enjoy live music at the pool and this time there were 3 acts (band of 5 performers, 2 performers, and a solo act) The duo had a stage full of people dancing and played 15 mins over their time slot - overall 3 hrs of live music.

Our waiter was excellent - first night he told us he would bring seconds, thirds or whatever we wanted and he did. Food was good, not great.

I don't miss the gala buffet as I never ate what they had.

The capitan's party was nice in that the entire ship had specials, though they should be 1/2 off

The farewell party was great.

Drink prices are too high.

CCL is about $800 per person cheaper than RCL

What I paid for this cruise, I could get 2 nights at a resort

I have taken this particular cruise, same ship, same itinerary, same time, same cabin location, and the price in 2009 was less than 2005.

CCL has changed their target audience over the last few years. It is more affordable to more people, but cost in fare is offset by higher costs for extras - drinks, excusions, pictues, etc.

When budgeting for cruise, the cost has to include tips, extras with the fare. Sometimes the extras are more than the fare.

New cruisers don't know what they are missing because they never had it..

That's a key point. Should it take 30 minutes for the waiter to approach your table and take your order? If you get your meal about the time they start flashing the lights (the cue for dancing waiters) is that normal?

From my experience, that's unacceptable and a sign of poor service. We are platinum and from our past experiences, have gotten much better. A newbie may not know. On our last three cruises, we have had horribly slow mdr service, even had to make a comment to the maitre'd.

Some don't recognize the downgrades or care. My mother in law has only sailed CCL and will never try any other line because, as she sees it, why bother?

We'll be on the Legend next month, then, six days after getting off, will be on the Golden Princess for Alaska. I still like Princess a lot, our favorite line- I even like waiting in line at the made to order belgium waffle bar- yum!

My prediction is that CCL will continue to cut corners, lose loyal cruise customers and pick up more 1st time cruisers to replace them, making for a good bottom line.

For those who say it is still a good deal, they can drive to the dock and do the same cruise over and over, well, that doesn't apply to a lot of people.

1) Some of us live far away from ports and have to fly

2) Doing the same ship/intenry will get old for some of us.

There are a lot of different vacation options beyond a CCL cruise. Basically the price of a CCL cruise should be compared to the cost of a hotel room and the cost of food at or away from a hotel (like from area restarants). Hotel/food on your own option can cost less plus, cost of alcohol much less.For maybe a $1.50 more than CCL charges for a bottle of Bud, I can a six pack of microbrew.

Over in Roatan, beer gos for about $2 a bottle at the resorts. I'd rather spend a week there than a week on a CCL ship. Better see what airfare costs for that one!

Archived