ATT does not understand cruising

citygirl

just got off the phone with ATT trying to add the right features to use my phone for mostly texting but also calling from ship and western carib ports and they just don't seem to be able to tell me how much it is to text from ship OR ports, luckliy I assume its 2.49 p/m to CALL from ship and if I spend 5.99 to add intl dialing that will reduce the call p/m charges in port does anyone have REAL text charge answers

Texting from the ship is cheap no matter who is the carrier.

ATT: Q. What is the pricing for using text messaging while roaming?

A. There are no additional charges for sending and receiving text messaging while roaming in the United States. If roaming internationally (where available), text messages sent are $0.50 each and do not pull from message buckets. Text messages received while roaming internationally are billed at normal rate.

Got the same info on the texting when we cruised (50 cents per text). We paid the $5.99 to allow international calling. The cost per minute varies by port. It is the same as the U.S. in Puerto Rico. The charge onboard the ship is set by X for the use of its satellite system.

Iwould call ATT again and talk to a different rep. Have handy the list of ports you will be visiting as there will be a different rate for each. Take notes; there is a lot of information.

Good luck.

I have a pre-paid cell and it's been calling/receiving from everywhere......even when crossing the Atlantic on a repo.............the only place we've not been able to call "out" was Mexico. I just went into a call center, called my Mother and asked her to call me.........and the incoming call connected perfectly. It's the same rate as when at home cuz the prepaid phones use any towers/one rate.

I have an ATT Blackberry, with International calling features and texting. Calling from the ship, at sea, is $2.49 a minute. Texting is $.05 to receive and $.50 to send texts. In port, it's totally different, depening on the port. From most ports in the Caribbean, the cost is anywhere from $.99 a minute to $2.69. Of course, it's different if you're in Europe as you'll be going through various providers there like Vodaphone. You should not incur any extra charges if you call from St Thomas or San Juan. But, here's a caution that I learned the hard way. Do not use your phone for surfing the internet while on the ship or in the ports. The download charges are HUGE---my first cruise I came home to a bill of over $600 because I didn't know about download charges.

Texting is one thing, calling will no doubt be very expensive if you do so from the ship.

Very true... I had an emergency phone call to my brother from the ship and the ten minute phone call was about 75-80 dollars. :eek:

Avoid using the phone in the cabin for ship-to-shore calls at all costs. They are very expensive. When hurricane Ivan came through a few years ago, two of my businesses were being evacuated while I was on an Alaska cruise. I spent over $600 in phone calls to coordinate everything and provide my critical employees a place to evacuate to. This was before Cellular At Sea existed.

As far as infomation for AT&T, call international care center at +1-916-843-4685. You can see AT&T international rates at this link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

Archived