Cabin Option on Eurodam

diablob

We have been in 4043 on the Zuiderdam and Eurodam and liked it so much we have booked it for 3 cruises in a row. The balconies are deeper than most other balconies in similar categories. The only difference with your cabin is that it is on the other side of the ship and has a steel railing rather than a plexiglass railing.

Here are pictures of 4043 on the Eurodam: http://travel.webshots.com/album/570527028Occqzx

This picture shows the difference between the steel and plexiglass railings (it shows 4041 and 4043 on the Eurodam):

2889069070102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

Based on Boytjie's pictures and the Eurodam's deck plans, it appears that 4042 has the solid steel railing versus the plexiglass one starting at 4044 and beyond. I personally would pay the extra money for the plexiglass railing. You can see the ocean when you're sitting down, and it feels much more "open."

Others who have sailed with the steel railing with no problems, please feel free to rebute what I have said. But for the money, I'd prefer being able to see the ocean when I'm sailing it.

JMHO.

That certainly is an interesting photo. It seems that a person could easily step from one balcony to another. True?

I would go for the plexiglass for the view.

The partition between balconies can be opened by the cabin steward when requested and both sides agree. We had 4 in a row open.

The partition between balconies can be opened by the cabin steward when requested and both sides agree. We had 4 in a row open.

Yes, I knew that was an option and just hoped it wasn't a fixed situation. I really don't want to know strangers that well.

Should I bring a bottle of Windex for the plexiglass?

I have to agree with others here -- if you can afford to pay the extra -- pay it and get a cabin with a balcony that has the plexiglass. It is so much nicer to be able to sit and watch the ocean and ports.

We did not spend a lot of time sitting on the balcony looking at the ocean so it won't make a huge difference to me. We had the cabin with the plexiglass railing and our friends were next door with the steel railing. They never commented on it being a major issue either.

Yes, I knew that was an option and just hoped it wasn't a fixed situation. I really don't want to know strangers that well.

Should I bring a bottle of Windex for the plexiglass?

I don't think any balconies are permanently open between cabins. :)

Once again: it's a ship, ship happens and the plexiglass will get sea water stains on it. They clean them but there may be times they don't get to it. I don't wish to see reports of people falling overboard trying to clean their balcony railings. It's not worth it. ;)

I had been concerned prior to going on my Eurodam cruise this past January because I had a steel railing. Everyone said how terrible it would be because you would not be able to see the water while sitting out on the balcony. I'm only 5'5 so not overly tall and I could see the water just fine (out near the horizon, not right up next to the ship obviously) while sitting. For me at least having the steel railing felt "safer" - as I often stand at the rail to watch as we are going into the port. As someone with a fear of heights, I don't know that I would actually like the plexi-glass. So as always, it has a lot to do with your individual preferences!

Archived