Kids dining on Celebrity Mercury

akgardner1

We are leaving in 2 weeks for Mexican Riviera 10 night cruise. I am curious if anyone has comments on eating in the formal dining room with 3 young kids (1 1/2, 4 and 5yrs.)? Any tips and do the kids camp area offer any "kids pizza nights" on any of the formal dinner nights? Also is there a kids pool? Thank you.

Only your two oldest will be allowed to join in the kid's program, as the age limit is 3. Here's a part of this from Celebrity's website. As you will see, the formal night pizza parties are only held during the Holidays, which means Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

"On formal evenings, the Celebrity Youth Program hosts a, "Parent's Night Out" in which children participate in a Pizza Party, evening activities, and complimentary Slumber Party, while their parents enjoy a romantic evening of fine dining and world class entertainment. Please note this service is only available during holiday sailings."

The kids program only opens for evening programs at 7pm, and they don't provide dinners for them in the club. Kids are in the main dining room all the time, so don't worry about that. The only problem might be if your kids aren't able to handle 90 minutes sitting at the table, because that's generally how long it takes for dinner on the ship.

The only pool children cannot go into is the Thalassotherapy pool, but they do not allow diapers or pull ups in any of the pools, so all children have to be toilet trained before they can go into the pools.

Thanks Darcie. On the Celebrity website virtual tour there is a picture of a children's pool off the back of the kids club area on the Vista deck. Do you know if this pool exists on the Mercury? If so, I am hoping our 1 1/2 year old who is not potty trained can play in this pool with a swim diaper on.

my kids were 10 and 14, and my nephew was 2. The waiters couldn't have been more accomodating! They brought the kids their food right away, didn't make them wait, they brought them whatever (and I mean whatever) they wanted...steak and fries, ice cream, you name it...and they knew the attention span of a 2 year old was short, so they even rushed our orders because we asked them to since we didn't want a 2 hour meal.

They were the best, they made it very easy for us, and even remembered what drinks, etc. all the kids wanted and brought them without asking after the first night!

The pool does exist, but I remember that it was either open only while in port or only while at sea - I can't remember which now, and the bad thing is you have to go through the kids playroom to get to it, and you can't even bring your toddler into that room without the staff freaking out - they don't want non-potty trained kids in the kids area and they mean i,t HOWEVER, the Mercury has very shallow overflow areas next to the main pool, almost like little toddler pools, I don't even know what their real purpose is, but parents were using them as splash pools - they worked great for that. My nephew played in them for hours just filling up and dumping water from the plastic cups we asked for at the bar. Also, the kids playroom will let you sign out a "toy chest" filled with toys, books,, puzzles, shovel and pail, just don't lose anything, they'll charge you an arm and a leg for it - we found out the hard way.

Have fun, I absolutely loved Celebrity and the Mercury.

thank you so much for the information. I will definately check out the overflow area at the big pool for a splashing around option for our 21 month old, I was so worried she would see the pool and not even be able to get near any water. Do you have any suggestions for hotel pools at any of the ports that were great for families to hang out for a few hours? Any info. is so helpful.

The kid's pool is on the Mercury on the Vista deck, but, as others have said, no diapers or even swim diapers in any of the pools. When we were on the Galaxy, they even had signs saying no diapers or swim diapers in any of the pools. With outbreaks of the Norwalk virus on ships, they will be extra careful of that.

Be careful if you're going to go to any hotels in Mexico. Don't let the little ones drink anything containing ice. No matter what they say, the water in Mexico can be very bad for kids and I don't think you want to be fighting Montezuma's Revenge with the kiddies. Some hotels will let you use their facilities for a per person charge, usually around $20 to $30 per person, so it's not cheap. Some resorts won't allow diapered babies in pools. Stick to bottled water or juice boxes.

Mexico won't allow you to take any food off the ship. They have become really strict about this and they have people standing right off the gangway checking bags for any kind of food. When we were recently in Progreso and Cozumel the cruise director kept coming over the loudspeaker announcing no food is to be taken off the ship.

Our ports on the Mercury were Grand Caymen, Progreso, Cozumel and Key West, and we did use hotel pools for free at 2 of the ports.

This is what I do for every cruise. I never "sneak" into a hotel to use their pool. Prior to leaving, I email some resorts, tell them I'd like to have lunch at their hotel and ask if I could also use the pool. You'd be surprised by how many hotels are happy to accomodate you if you have lunch or drinks there. I print out the response and bring it with me just in case. Do a search and look for some hotels at your ports, and start emailing.

Also, I've never been to a resort yet that didn't allow swim-diapers. In fact, they usually post a sign saying "non-potty trained children must WEAR swim diapers!"

I know we brought milk, juice, snacks, off the ship for the kids. It's when you get back on the ship that they're concerned and will check or ask that you don't bring anything onboard from port that isn't sealed or isn't fresh (we bought hot sauces, vanilla, etc, no problem).

We are leaving in 2 weeks for Mexican Riviera 10 night cruise. I am curious if anyone has comments on eating in the formal dining room with 3 young kids (1 1/2, 4 and 5yrs.)? Any tips and do the kids camp area offer any "kids pizza nights" on any of the formal dinner nights? Also is there a kids pool? Thank you.

There were 5 kids eligible for the FF on our cruise, plus 3 toddlers.

We just got off Galaxy with a 1 1/2 & 3 1/2 year old. My daughter LOVED the fun factory, as did the older children on the cruise.

You might consider late seating. The Fun Factory opens at 7, main dinner starts at 6. On sea days, they provided dinner as long as you signed up by 5pm. On port days, there was an hourly charge for dinner service in the Fun Factory.

I wish we would've done late seating--we would have fed the kids, taken the 3 1/2 year old to the FF, taken the 1 1/2 year old to the dining room in his stroller sleeping or used the in cabin babysitting and had a relaxing dinner. We did use the in cabin babysitting 3 nights.

On Galaxy, the kids pool was right outside the FF, it was small and the water was cold (we were in the Caribbean). I didn't look for the splash pool areas, we didn't need them. The 1 day my daughter did use the kids pool, there was no problem taking the 1 1/2 year old too. He couldn't get in, but he could reach the surface of the water and played with the water toys.

What type of cabin do you have? We also brought our own DVD player (bought one for $45) so we could play movies. Make sure you bring the longest extension cord you can find!!

Let me know if you have other questions!

When I was on a cruise that stopped in Progreso and Cozumel last November, they were really strict with taking food off the ship. Even as we swiped our key cards when getting off the ship, the security guys asked if we had any food in our bags because the Mexican authorities would inspect bags and take food away. I guess packaged stuff is OK, but don't take the lunch boxes that some ships make for passengers---you know the ones that have sandwiches and fruit in them. And don't take any fresh fruit or baked goods either.

Thanks for the tips. By the way, where did you find a DVD player for $45! That is a sreaming deal. I just bought Gamboy Adavance for my 4 and 5 1/2 year olds and they now have videos to buy for them. I bought a few for the kids to watch in the room for some down time. The extension cord is a good idea so they can watch a DVD player on the bed.

We have a FO on the Panorama deck, directly underneath the FF. We are excited to check out the FF. What type of things do they have there for the kids to do? What times are they open during the day?

We have early seating and are planning on taking the two older kids to the FF at 7pm and maybe taking our 21 month old to a show in the stroller. Do you think this is possible? Did you try to see any shows with your 1 1/2 old?

What type of food did your baby eat at dinner? How long were you typically in the dining room for dinner?

We are so excited but a little nervous to be traveling with 3 young kids on a cruise, I know they will have a great time and create lot's of memories with both set of grandparents that are coming with us.

There were 5 kids eligible for the FF on our cruise, plus 3 toddlers.

The 1 day my daughter did use the kids pool, there was no problem taking the 1 1/2 year old too. He couldn't get in, but he could reach the surface of the water and played with the water toys.

What type of cabin do you have? We also brought our own DVD player (bought one for $45) so we could play movies. Make sure you bring the longest extension cord you can find!!

Let me know if you have other questions!

Did the staff allow your 1 1/2 year old out at the FF pool or did you just go through and out there on your own? - I'll be on the Infinity and will have a 2 year old and I can't believe they won't let them even play in the FF or pool- with me there- even if she's potty trained! :( Sound like your 1 1/2 year old did fine??

Thanks for the tips. By the way, where did you find a DVD player for $45! That is a sreaming deal. I just bought Gamboy Adavance for my 4 and 5 1/2 year olds and they now have videos to buy for them. I bought a few for the kids to watch in the room for some down time. The extension cord is a good idea so they can watch a DVD player on the bed.

We have a FO on the Panorama deck, directly underneath the FF. We are excited to check out the FF. What type of things do they have there for the kids to do? What times are they open during the day?

We have early seating and are planning on taking the two older kids to the FF at 7pm and maybe taking our 21 month old to a show in the stroller. Do you think this is possible? Did you try to see any shows with your 1 1/2 old?

What type of food did your baby eat at dinner? How long were you typically in the dining room for dinner?

We are so excited but a little nervous to be traveling with 3 young kids on a cruise, I know they will have a great time and create lot's of memories with both set of grandparents that are coming with us.

I am not sure about the DVD player, DH bought it before Christmas. It only holds one dvd at a time. Our 3 1/2 year old still takes naps, and she napped HARD after playing in the FF in the am.

Our dinners took a LONG time, the first few nights we didn't get dessert until after 8pm. I'm not sure your kids will have eaten by 7, all of the entrees are cooked to order and usually weren't available until 7. But, hopefully you will have a great wait staff and this won't be an issue.

Grace was always anxious to get to the FF, but she's younger than yours are. So, she couldn't have cared about dinner!

Conner ate whatever I thought was good.....chicken fingers, steak, mac & cheese (it was really good), lots of ice cream and mini marshmallows from the ice cream station at the buffet. I also asked for extra steamed veggies. They have a children's menu, but they can eat anything that is available.

I can't remember if Conner saw any shows, they weren't very good. One night they had marionettes and our 3 1/2 year old loved that. For some reason, Conner took his nap about 11am, so by dinner he was done! At home, he naps about 1, so this was difficult.

Cruising with kids is sooo great for Moms----no cooking, no cleaning, no laundry! :) All of the staff and passengers were great (regardless of the the "anti-breeders" on the Celebrity board! We also had 1 set of grandparents and aunt and uncle with us.

The FF had computer stations, one 8 year old played on those. They had a ball pit (little balls to jump in), hula hoops, balls for outside on the sports deck. They had a TON of activities, and each day had a theme. One day it was pirates, dinosaurs, Sponge Bob (DD too young for this one!), etc. They had a science activity each day. Lots of art supplies, books, board games, a tv for movies. There are small tables and chairs to do different activities.

They also had family bingo and karaoke. Be sure to go, they were a blast! (You can bring the little one too and grandparents too) They gave good prizes at the bingo!! ;)

Most days they were open from 9am-10pm for free. On sea days, you had to get your kids for lunch but dinner was free as long as you signed up by 5, they ate at 6. They are open each night from 10-1am for a fee, I think $6 per child per hour.

On port days, you had to pay for lunch and dinner, again I think $6 per child per hour.

I have a master's degree in early childhood education and can't say enough great things about the FF on Galaxy. My daughter was frightened by the noon announcement by the captain, and they would hold her and take her outside by the kiddie pool during that time if I wasn't there. I started to make sure I was at FF in time for that. Then I would leave again after it was over. They also have to do a muster station practice (lifeboat drill) with the children and that I think was the beginning of the fear. But, again, Jen was great with DD, making is as unscary as it could be.

We also used the in cabin babysitting for the 2nd & 3rd formal nights and one other night.

Did the staff allow your 1 1/2 year old out at the FF pool or did you just go through and out there on your own? - I'll be on the Infinity and will have a 2 year old and I can't believe they won't let them even play in the FF or pool- with me there- even if she's potty trained! :( Sound like your 1 1/2 year old did fine??

They knew our 1 1/2 year old were with us and going to the pool. Now, there were no other children using the pool (or going to) and our 1 1/2 year old DID NOT get in the pool. He stood at the side and played with the water toys.

Anyway, the water was really cold and it is sea water, not fresh. We were on a cruise to the Panama Canal, and the water in port was warm enough to swim in, but on the ship it was cold. Also, on Galaxy, the kid pool is completely covered, so no sun to warm the water. I guess IMO the kid pool is over-rated.

The only other time (if there was one) that the 1 1/2 year old was in FF, we were dropping off or picking up our older daughter.

Go with the assumption that your child under 3 won't get to go to the FF. But, depending on how many kids are on the ship, maybe they will let your child try it out.

Could you wait to cruise until your child is 3?

Archived