A Tale of Two Shippies

garigoun

A Tale of Two Shippies.

Hunker down me hearties an I’ll tell’ee a tale o’ privation and desperation on the high seas the likes o which you’ve never heard. ( Well you probably have but I likes a good intro to a tale I does).

We arrived at the Ocean Terminal at about 1130, now I’ve never embarked from here before, I’ve disembarked but then you don’t take much notice do you ‘cos you’re fed up and fractious. Anyway I prefer the Queen Elizabeth berth, more kind of welcoming and bustling and ‘days of yesteryear-ish’ the O.T. is just a people processing shed. There was a group of disconsolate looking wights surrounded by baggage standing by the first of the baggage chutes. No-one in authority, not a Hi-Vis jacket to be seen. And it was a cold morning, very chill. This was one occasion when those passengers who habitually dress as though attempting the North Face of the Eiger were definitely better off. We milled about for a bit looking up hopefully whenever anyone who looked as though he/she were working came out of the terminal. Eventually Senior Management sallied forth to make enquiries and returned with the information that the baggage door would be opening immediately and rough men with thews of oak would be on hand to hurl our beautiful luggage willy-nilly through the opening. The baggage door opened immediately. Just 6 inches. No rough men with thews of any consistency appeared, but a sinuous young chap with no apparent thews at all arrived and told us to go back to baggage shutter No. 2.

We grasped our luggage and turned as one. HOWEVER, by this time baggage shutter No.2 had gathered its own adherents who, when they saw us advancing with our rollalongs, to all the world like a Panzer division of the Wermacht, began to lager their own baggage around themselves. Dear reader no Indian-besieged settlers of the old West could have circled their wagons more quickly and effectively than these defenders of Shutter No. 2. The scene was set for a luggage battle of epic proportions. I was able, by dint of my boyish charm and a sharp elbow, to hand our kit to one of the oak-thewed ones who had miraculously appeared and, trusting to God and a couple of hastily pocketed one pound coins we left for the terminal.

There was it must be said a bit of hubbub in there. Those of you who have used this place will know that there is an escalator up to the check-in hall, well another of the sinuous and charming young men was at the foot of this escalator. His mission in life was to permit only about 10 or 12 people onto the escalator at any one time. I asked why. He said that the queue at the top was so long it extended to the top of the escalator and if too many people were allowed on they would be projected into the back of those queueing and some kind of domino effect would ensue. We eventually got on and lo and behold he was so right. There was an enormous queue and this was just the priority boarding passengers. Believe me there were a lot of disgruntled people in that queue. I witnessed one bedecked and bedizened beldame, who was walking along asking, ‘Are you sure this is the priority line?’ ‘Are you in the priority line?’ ‘This can’t possibly be the priority line’ actually stamp her foot in temper when directed to the end of the line by one of the Cunard ladies. Her cries of ‘but I’m diamond, I’m diamond’ echoed faintly behind as she made the trek to the back. The situation was exacerbated by the amount of carry-on that was being humped about of which I have spoken before. The folks in front of us waited until it was their turn next to enquire what would happen if their bags didn’t fit through the scanner. 'Well then', they were told, 'you will have to check them in outside'. Ructions ensued. They insisted on trying their luck which resulted in a further hold up at security as the hapless staff attempted to push them through. Taking up both scanners in an attempt to speed things up. I never did find out what happened as they were busily unpacking their cases when we were waved on.

Also there was some problem with the machine which issues the ship cards. Our check in lady (How she kept smiling in the face of the griping and downright bad manners that was going on I do not know.) had to go to some three stations along to get cards. A further complication was that there were some 400 pax from the QV who were transferring to the QM” and who all had priority status for boarding. Now of course it is irritating to have to wait but shouting and screaming does not help. The staff are just as anxious to get the job running smoothly as the passengers are, after all they are the ones taking all the flak. It took us approximately 1 hour 20 mins to get processed and onto the ship, no big deal, worse was to happen, they don’t do hot beef sandwiches at the Chef’s Galley any more BOO HISS. The pax who did not have priority boarding (incidentally, ALL the checkin desks were working on priority when we were there) did have a bad time, people on our table waited almost 3 hours to get on board and this was fairly common. Personally I think it was one of those occasions when a series of small glitches have a cascade effect resulting in chaos. Once again as in all cases where delays occur anywhere and for whatever reason lack of communication is by far the biggest bone of contention.

The rest of the trip to NYC was its usual blissful interlude.

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to include the RCCI part of the voyage on the Cunard site.

Gari

Part Two.

Once aboard and settled in, as I said, the usual blissful interlude began. We had a delightful Cabin attendant from Latvia who had the sunniest disposition I’ve ever encountered. She seemed to be always singing wherever she went. Now there has been some chat about wearing or not wearing one’s loyalty pin and whether it makes a difference or not. As I never wear mine I am not in a position to judge but I did remark on that thread that I had never ever been recognised or greeted by name on any trip that I have done with Cunard and perhaps I should start wearing it. Well I didn’t but on the first evening I had to eat my words. Sashaying into the Commodore Club for our customary nightcap, one of the waitresses (Julia) we had met before immediately put down her tray and came over and greeted us both by name very warmly indeed. We enquired after her workmate and were told she was on leave but were introduced to her new partner and found a seat. We placed our order with the new girl (Lena from Belorus) and settled back. The drinks came with ice which we hadn’t ordered but what the hell, life’s too short to make a fuss, it’s only a drink.

Julia passing by noticed we had ice and asked if we changed our preference. We said no but it didn’t matter for once – not so - she immediately removed them and brought them back sans ice and we could see her explain to Lena that we never have ice. We never got ice again. Being of a slightly cynical nature I must admit to being very surprised at the amount of pleasure it gave me that we were thus recognised and greeted and treated so warmly. We were lucky each evening in the Commodore Club as it was never too busy and we always got a seat. In fact many of the people we spoke to subsequently on the RCCI ship never actually found it.

There is little else to say about the ship, those of you who have been on it will know all about it and those of you who are anticipating this pleasure will be better served by reading Peppern’s excellent and meticulous room by room description of the vessel and Patwell’s more evocative and emotional responses to her journey on this Queen. I can’t find the actual whereabouts of these two superb reviews but someone will post them again I’m sure.

Didn’t do any shows, have no complaints about the food but then, I’m no foodie, it’s just fuel to me I’m afraid. Signed the CC log book. Missed the CC get together ‘cos I had a post Martini nap.

Disembarkation. Went self help but was caught on the hop a little. Had presumed it would be about 7am as usual but it was actually 6.35 when we were called off. So we made a break for the border scattering small children and walking frames in our wake.

Sauntered through immigration, 5 people waiting for cabs, well not actually waiting as there were cabs arriving non stop. So we were in Manhattan by 7-45 and get this, get this, something that has never ever happened to us before, we went to the hotel, the Carleton on Maddison to drop our luggage and they checked us in! At a quarter to eight in the morning! Not only that but the charming smiley girl on the desk upgraded us. We had a lovely room, (I’m having problems posting pix but I’ll keep trying). Huge wall mounted plasma TV. a waste as we never turned it on but it was there anyway Large bathroom, robes, and as my wife was, for some feminine reason or other, inordinately pleased to discover, Molton Browne smellies. Elegant lobby, nice restaurant, comfy bar for the all important night cap and great location. Well it was for us, first timers would like to be more in the action I suppose roundabout Times Square area. The weather was great, v. windy on the first day but then the temperature soared. Had a wonderful 5 nights then it was Hey Ho for the Amtrak and Miami............

Gari

Wonderful reading. Please tell us the rest. It is all a part of your QM2 crossing afterall. :)

I agree - it's all part of the whole experience and people often post to ask for comparisons etc with other companies.

Thank Gari, we all enjoy reading your posts and I am sure it made you feel quite special to be recognised for all the right reasons. ;)

Part the Third.

NYC to Miami Fa.

You know, travel agents have a lot to answer for. They baby us far too much. They lead us by the hand or maybe even by the nose (depends on the agent) and consequently there exists an enormous tranche of the people who travel for pleasure and leisure who have completely forgotten how to think for themselves so that when something does not go exactly according to Hoyle the immediate reaction is to stamp and scream and hold their breath until blue in the face. There will come a time I am sure when people will not be able to travel from the lavatory to the wash basin without a Power Point presentation on their PDA or laptop (regarding laptops - more anon) to guide them. And while it is true that the organisation of this multi-layered trip was on occasion a little lax in respect of information regarding Amtrak surely anyone who has had the wit to accumulate enough of the folding stuff to afford this trip could work out one or two things for themselves and with only the tiniest of efforts ensure, as far as possible a heart-attack free journey.

Picture this. Noo Yoik 2010. Blazing hot.

You are entering on an overnight journey on a strange rail network from a station you wot not of except in song. Your information from the TA has been scant. Do you:

A) Try to find out as much as you can before you go?

B) On arrival in NYC scope out the station well before hand?

C) Make diligent enquiries at said station to ascertain the correct procedure?

D) Arrange your arrival at said station in time to carry out the necessary admin tasks?

OR

E) None of the above.

Instead arrive at the last moment with no idea what to do.

Struggle down the escalator with your enormous luggage because you don’t know that there is a lift just round the corner and you haven’t told your cab driver to drop you at the entrance that is a mere 3 yards from it because you don’t know that either.

Run around like a dog at a fair clutching a bit of paper and accosting everyone who is wearing anything which may possible be classed as uniform. (A couple of Pizza delivery boys were astonished to be asked where the train to Miami left from. The fact that they were from Mogadishu didn’t help either)

Find out you should have checked in your 17 enormous suitcases and it is now too late. Have a complete dicky-fit when you see the 6x4 roomette in which you are to spend the next 30+ hours and proceed to curse all travel agents their heirs and progeny even unto fifth generation that they be afflicted with boils and buboes in intimate parts of their damned and blasted anatomy.

All completely true I do assure you. (well maybe the pizza guys were from Brooklyn, the accents are remarkably similiar) [People of a Brooklyn persuasion, that was an English type joke, stay calm, particularly if you have access to firearms]

One person quite blithely told me that she was furious because she hadn’t received any info from her TA and she had to phone up THE EVENING BEFORE THEY LEFT HOME.

Travel Agents of the world hearken unto me – stop doing this. Send people their tickets and tell them to get on with it. The infantilisation of the Western adult is already far advanced, don’t contribute. Just SAY NO to hand holding.

Travellers of the Western world – GROW UP, start taking responsibility for your life or I see a time when all tourists will be walking along holding hands wearing bright coloured jackets and baseball caps of the same colour carrying packed lunches and saying are we there yet and asking where the restrooms are. Let’s face it the only reason we use TA’s is because they can get a better deal (usually) than we can.

Enough already. The train journey was terrific, I must confess though that it was the train journey that influenced us to choose this holiday so perhaps I am not a disinterested party. The roomette was dinky but surprisingly comfortable but then we only had two small shoulder bags with our kit in. Anything else and we would definitely have been cramped. It was a bit like the movies, this great silver tube stretching along the platform, the uniformed conductor, people hurrying, shouting to each other all it needed was a bit of steam hissing up from the tracks and possibly Celia Johnson with a bit of grit in her eye and the picture would have been perfect. (Ok I mixed my genres there – so sue me). We left exactly on time and rolled out of NYC to the sound of our sleeping car attendant introducing his self to each room and explaining all the gadgets and enquiring as to our coffee or tea preferences. He was a delight, unfailingly cheerful and funny. The two waitresses in the dining car were straight from Central Casting. Ladies of a certain age, one ample and one skinny, abrasive, wisecracking, hair like steel, bossy as hell but amusing with it and both with New York accents which if amplified could have been used to fell timber. Although they had an air about them which said ‘Don’t mess with me buster or you’ll find yourself sitting on your suitcase at the next whistlestop looking at our retreating lights and wondering just what the hell happened.’ The food was edible – just, the wine was in those Little Jo bottles with a choice of white or red – dont’ ask. I lay awake most of the night in the top bunk with the curtains drawn back watching the occasional lights blur past and listening to the whistle, well horn really, being blown. Heaven.

Apparently it has to be sounded several times before a railway crossing and our driver was meticulous in his observance of this rule and there are a lot of railroad crossings believe me. Hear that lonesome whistle wail.............

We stopped in Jacksonville I think it was and all got off to stretch our legs and my world was complete when the new conductor yelled ‘AAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL ABOAAARD to get us back on. Wonderful stuff. There was a shower at the end of each sleeper car surprisingly roomy. The attendant said he would put fresh towels in for anyone who wanted to use it. There was a toilet and a washbasin in each roomette but I guess the toilet was for emergencies only, well it was in our case , we used the one’s in the other coaches. OK OK too much information, just setting the scene is all. God I’m even talking Amurrican now. Arrived in Miami on time a really small station actually and got a cab to our hotel....................

Gari

Absolutely loving the story - thank you so much for sharing! I must admit to having a bit of a giggle at the chaos surrounding some of your fellow passengers at the train station. I've never taken the train in the US (am from the part of the country where trains are but a mere memory), and have always been curious about what it's like.

...All completely true I do assure you. (well maybe the pizza guys were from Brooklyn, the accents are remarkably similiar) [People of a Brooklyn persuasion, that was an English type joke, stay calm, particularly if you have access to firearms]...

No worries. "People of a Brooklyn persuasion" no doubt appreciate your

"English type joke."

Thank you for your posting; it was very interesting.

Regards,

Salacia of "Brooklyn Presuasion"

I have never done such a long rail journey in the USA but always took/take the train from NYC to Philadelphia or Washington DC. They are great, dining cars and all that stuff from the movies. LOving your report Gari as usual.

I have never done such a long rail journey in the USA but always took/take the train from NYC to Philadelphia or Washington DC. They are great, dining cars and all that stuff from the movies. LOving your report Gari as usual.

Ahoy Cap'n, thanks for your comments. Yes, the train was a very nice experience. Leaving Washington DC we were on the right side of the train to catch a sight of the dome of the Capitol and a good view of the Obelisk. My only regret was that they don't do a 'Club Car' any more that would have been the icing on the cake. I'm definitely going to research some further journeys by train in the U.S. we both enjoyed it so much.

Gari

Gari, I have been waiting for your report on the Amtrak portion of your journey and you did not disappoint! We do "no-fly" trips to England and the train parts are all part of the fun. My DH is 6ft 7ins and he always takes the top bunk in the Roomette. We both love to hear the whistle all night long too! We are looking forward to our next adventure in 2011 EB on the Jewel of the Seas and WB on QM2. Please tell us about the Royal Caribbean TA. Cathy

Ahoy Cap'n, thanks for your comments. Yes, the train was a very nice experience. Leaving Washington DC we were on the right side of the train to catch a sight of the dome of the Capitol and a good view of the Obelisk. My only regret was that they don't do a 'Club Car' any more that would have been the icing on the cake. I'm definitely going to research some further journeys by train in the U.S. we both enjoyed it so much.

Gari

We have done the Sunset Limited (New Orleans to LA but we got off in Arizona) and had a good time. It has/had a bar car for sure. If you totally ignore the schedule, then all was ok. Good food, good drink, good passengers. Have also done some of the shorter lines out West. On the Verde Valley Railway in Arizona, you can rent the caboose for your party. includes a bar and appetizers as well as your own private viewing veranda off the rear. :eek:

J.

Take the train that goes to Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks. I think the "Orient Express" company does those, andd they have beautiful trains. I had wanted to do that when my friends from Germany came over but we decided to go south and do different national parks, so we drove ourselves.

Gari...as always your wondrful writing entertains and amuses like no other can. Please do continue....it's just marvelous fun following your adventure.

By the by...I rather resemble those folks in the train station when I come to your country...speak gently of us...we do get so confused too.:rolleyes:

And thank you for your kind words about my review...very generous coming from one who writes as exceptionally well as you do.

Now carry on..some of us are waiting! ;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Great stuff, Gari! Leaving on time from NYC and arriving on time in Miami is quite amazing! Are you sure it was not "on time" just a day late? Does not sound like the Amtrak we know. Quite a surprise, actually. Loving the report and hope you just keep writing well past the end, such a joy it is to read.

Michael

What a wonderful story so far! Welcome home.

By the way, short Amtrak journeys do have a club car of sorts. Long distance trains going through scenic areas during daylight hours often have an observation car with club seating.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your journey.

Archived