Diamond Questions

ds521

Can anyone tell me if we'll be able to bring booze onboard at the port if it's in our checked baggage and not the carry on? Also, are there midnight buffets on the Diamond? We're newbies - have sailed with RCCL 7 times, Carnival once - what can we expect from Princess that will be different from what we're used to?

You can carry on wine with no problem. If you are sailing out of Los Angeles there is nowhere within walking distance of the ship to buy alcohol that I knew of. Some people said they carried on bottles in their carry on bags - out of sight. If you put it in your checked luggage try plastic or only take clear liquids just in case. There are others on this board who have more experience and I'm hopeful that they will chime in to help you out.

We were on the Diamond last week, and it's true there is no where to buy alcohol near the pier. We brought a couple of bottles of wine from home. Princess does allow this but discourages bringing hard liquor aboard, but they do allow you to order bottles of liquor from room service. We did that, and the price was less than we pay at home. You can see a list of what they carry on their website. There are no regular midnight buffets on any of the Princess ships, but the Horizon Court and room service are both available 24 hrs. There is also a champagne waterfall event in the atrium at about 11:30 on the second formal night.

We brought 12 bottles of wine bubble wrapped in a suitcase. I also brought the largest bottle of Skyy vodka and bubble wrapped it, and all of it got to our cabin safe. I purchased the vodka where we live for $22.99 on sale, and DH did not drink it all. We had 1 bottle of red wine left and I gave that to our room steward at the end of the cruise. You can order juice in the monring from room service. After breakfast is done, you have to purchase the juice from the bar. There's no lemonade or punch dispensers anywhere on the Diamond. When you arrive in Puerto Vallarta, there's a WalMart and Sam's Club within walking distance of the ship. You can purchase alcohol mix there and bring it aboard. There are liquor stores about 6 blocks away on Pacific Street if you want to take a nice walk. In PV, there's a bar where you get off the ship. BIG margaritas for $6.00, and good food (that's where the ship's crew like to eat and drink). We sat there and had 3 margaritas and chatted with a few crew members. Needless to say, the margaritas snuck up on me! :eek:

Archived