**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

Here's a big welcome to the newest Houstonian... Matt Leinart...:rolleyes:

Mary

HA! I hope his seat on the bench is nice and comfy, otherwise he'll be complaining again. Just another college big shot who can't find his way in the NFL...

So all you "No formal this trip" folks really have me intrigued. Meg and I have always done formal nights and really enjoy them, but like it was mentioned earlier, they've always been in the Caribbean where all we have otherwise is bathing suits and flip flops. Given all the other junk we'll be packing for Alaska, I'm thinking the no formal option may be the way to go. My concern is the specialty restaurants. We plan on doing them both. I've read some posts that say they are smart casual every night, whereas I've read others that say they go with the dress code of the dining room, so on formal night they are formal. So what is the real story?

So all you "No formal this trip" folks really have me intrigued. Meg and I have always done formal nights and really enjoy them, but like it was mentioned earlier, they've always been in the Caribbean where all we have otherwise is bathing suits and flip flops. Given all the other junk we'll be packing for Alaska, I'm thinking the no formal option may be the way to go. My concern is the specialty restaurants. We plan on doing them both. I've read some posts that say they are smart casual every night, whereas I've read others that say they go with the dress code of the dining room, so on formal night they are formal. So what is the real story?

deej - About 2 Alaskan sailings ago, we decided to stop lugging formal wear. Previously, we did the tux/gown routine and loved it. Now we pack smart casual for dinner and call it a day. My husband does bring a sport coat. We decided to focus on relaxation and enjoying the scenery.

I only have one recent Princess sailing. I was sailing solo and met a couple in the Crown Grill on formal night. I wore a pair of black slacks and a dressy top. Very similar to what Katherine describes except a pair of slacks instead of a skirt. The other woman was dressed similarly. Her husband wore slacks, a shirt and a sport coat. No tie. No problems. We did not feel out of place nor do I think we impacted the "experience" of others. Yes, we showered and primped before dinner. Sabatini's is a little more formal. It may be a different story there.

Others in the group may have differing opinions or have experienced something else on their cruises. The dress code states: When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. It does not include nor exclude the Specialty Restaurants... Interesting question.

Mary

The last few years I have noticed passengers are dressing a bit less formal....but still dressy. I pack one pair of dressy pants and one skirt along with a couple of tops to match and that's it. I think you could get along with the same in the specialty restaurants but I have not used them myself.

Other nights smart casual works.

Unexpected tropical storm coming into Texas south of the Houston area. Very rainy here today and for the next few days..

Here's a big welcome to the newest Houstonian... Matt Leinart...:rolleyes:

Mary

I missed this news story today and didn't know that Houston picked him up. Good luck with that :eek:

I missed this news story today and didn't know that Houston picked him up. Good luck with that :eek:

He has to be better than the current back-up for Schaub, but don't think being #2 is in his long-term plan. Then again, his talent and dedication may dictate what he is capable of.... somwhat like Brady Quinn?

I think he should rent a home! Keep his options open!

I wonder what he was initially guaranteed by Arizona?

Mary

Here's a discussion on the topic from the Princess boards... inconclusive...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1221755&highlight=sabatini+dress+code

Ahhh... Thanks for the photo. There's only a few weeks remaining for this season... THEN IT'S OUR TURN IN MAY!!! :D:D:D

Yes, I think the time is going to start flying by. It always does once summer is over.....

What are you planning for the ports?

Hi all, and hope everyone had a great weekend. Linda, you lucked out with your neighbors' help -- congrats to a great group of neighbors!

I did not know the Texans picked up Matt Leinart, but what a strange situation. The Texans PASSED on Vince Young initially, and now they pick up Leinart? For those who don't know, Vince is from Houston and a terrific hometown favorite, especially for Longhorn fans! However, Leinart has always been seen as a whiner by Houston fans. Hmmm, interesting reaction from the crowd. I can't wait to see it.

Mary, my son was at the UT-Rice game and said it was more like a scrimmage. I have always liked Mack Brown and his attitude of not running up the score, and that's what this was. They ran only one blitz and tried out ALL the strings (2nd, 3rd, etc.). However you gotta always respect Rice for fielding a team since most of them are engineering, science or pre-med students. I don't think any are PE majors!

Hi all, and hope everyone had a great weekend. Linda, you lucked out with your neighbors' help -- congrats to a great group of neighbors!

I did not know the Texans picked up Matt Leinart, but what a strange situation. The Texans PASSED on Vince Young initially, and now they pick up Leinart? For those who don't know, Vince is from Houston and a terrific hometown favorite, especially for Longhorn fans! However, Leinart has always been seen as a whiner by Houston fans. Hmmm, interesting reaction from the crowd. I can't wait to see it.

Mary, my son was at the UT-Rice game and said it was more like a scrimmage. I have always liked Mack Brown and his attitude of not running up the score, and that's what this was. They ran only one blitz and tried out ALL the strings (2nd, 3rd, etc.). However you gotta always respect Rice for fielding a team since most of them are engineering, science or pre-med students. I don't think any are PE majors!

Hi, Margie

Good info regarding UT. However, I think Garrett is unproven. Won't know what's up with him until later in the season. You know I'm a fan... hope all is well!

I just think the Texans needed a back-up for Schaub and Leinart was the available. He won't be here long.

I do admire the student athletes at Rice, Stanford, etc. Nope, not PE majors!

Mary

Yes, I think the time is going to start flying by. It always does once summer is over.....

Who knows? I think our major plans will be in Vancouver (float plane to Victoria) and Seattle (Boeing tour). Tom wants to cycle in Skagway. He may go alone. I know we won't plan anything for Ketchican due to timing. That leaves Juneau... And the short stop in Victoria.

Mary

Same here, we have plans for Juneau and Skagway, but I think the rest will just be at our leisure. Between two nights in Vancouver, those stops, and a night in Seattle, I'll definitely walk away feeling satisfied. Not to mention that the excursions in Skagway and Juneau aren't exactly cheap:eek:

Same here, we have plans for Juneau and Skagway, but I think the rest will just be at our leisure. Between two nights in Vancouver, those stops, and a night in Seattle, I'll definitely walk away feeling satisfied. Not to mention that the excursions in Skagway and Juneau aren't exactly cheap:eek:

The float plane trip from Vancouver to Victoria is VERY expensive. Wish we had a longer port stop in Victoria... would make the excursion unnecessary...:(

Mary

Jan, we usually do early traditional too but thought we would try anytime on this cruise. I hope we like it :)

Speacialty dining at lunch would be nice. Do they post that information in the Patter?

I am not sure about the patter... I just remember someone at dinner commenting on the great quality and pricing value offered @ lunch at Sabatini's earlier in the day.

I thought I might try to reserve a specialty lunch when we first board for a sea day... hope to get specifics then.

As for early traditional it usually depends on the ship and how many dining rooms get seated. We have seen it mostly on the larger capacity ships. I do not remember that option on the Ocean Princess.

Jan

Sorry for being away so long, but we have now booked our hotel and flights. We are staying at the Pan Pacific and they informed us that you are right at the dock. Our flights are also booked and we were able to keep them under $500 a piece so that was good. Hope everyone is fine and Mary I am very sorry for your loss. Things are looking up for this cruise my wife can not wait. I will try to be better in staying in touch..

GO GATORS......:)

Sorry for being away so long, but we have now booked our hotel and flights. We are staying at the Pan Pacific and they informed us that you are right at the dock. Our flights are also booked and we were able to keep them under $500 a piece so that was good. Hope everyone is fine and Mary I am very sorry for your loss. Things are looking up for this cruise my wife can not wait. I will try to be better in staying in touch..

Hello!

One question... Where's your Gator avitar?

Mary

Good to see you posting again :)

The Pan Pacific in Vancouver is right across the street from Canada Place so you only have a short walk to the ship :D

Good to see you posting again :)

The Pan Pacific in Vancouver is right across the street from Canada Place so you only have a short walk to the ship :D

gatorpwr... The Pan Pacific is a great hotel to watch ships sail in and out of the harbor. If you're up early, you can watch arrival of the Golden. Very exciting!

Mary

Today is a sad day for me. I lost my baby Belle..an 18 year old Siamese-mix cat.. to kidney failure.

There are no words to explain how much we loved her and how much we will miss her.

Mary

Oh Mary! You're right there are no words to explain the loss. I am so sorry :(

I lost one dobie girl in February 07 and another in November 08 and not a day goes by that I don't think of them......

A big hug comes your way!!!

Archived