**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

Katherine, how is your new baby doing?

She is wonderful, thanks for asking! We spent all weekend with her, getting her to be more comfortable with her home environment (and our other dog, a 100lb Berner). She did really well and after the long weekend, we find that she is pretty much potty trained now! We also taught her how to walk with a leash. She did great with that too. Soooo pleased.

The acid test was today, when I had to leave her with DH in her gated off area while I went to work. DH says she did great and slept a lot of the day and then played quietly in her area the rest of the time. By the time the girls got home, she was ready to get out and play with them and then go for a walk.

We are very pleased with the way she's doing. I hope she keeps it up. We'll be ready to teach her some basic commands in the next week or two from the way things are going. She is still not understanding her name or "come." But she sure is cute as can be!

Katherine

Wow, she is doing great! I just love puppies and wish I didn't work so far from home :D When I raised my first dobie I worked just a few miles away and could come home at lunch and let her out of the crate. I had time to walk her for about 45 minutes before heading back to work - plus she was never left in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time. She was so precious.....

My male dobie who is now 4 is really the most loving one that I have ever had. So even after 2 rescues I have had great dog experiences!

Hi, everyone

Hope you are all doing well.

Katherine, the puppy is adorable. I'm sure she's spoiled by now. Glad your girls liked cruising. But, what's not to like!!!

Linda, I'm having college football withdrawal. I certainly had time on my hands today. Where did Margie decide to move?

Still no word on DH's potential business conflict with this cruise. Guess we'll know for sure before final payment is due!

Enjoy the holidays!

Mary

Hi, everyone

Linda, I'm having college football withdrawal. I certainly had time on my hands today. Where did Margie decide to move?

Still no word on DH's potential business conflict with this cruise. Guess we'll know for sure before final payment is due!

Enjoy the holidays!

Mary

Mary, I haven't got withdrawals yet but I'm close. Thankfully I have a bowl game yet and the Red Wings and Wolverine hockey to watch :D

I haven't heard the details about Margie's move yet but she is still in the Houston area. She actually is back to work until July 2011 so it looks like we have a conflict with this cruise date now :( We will have to make a decision soon ourselves!

I can't believe I am off to Atlanta for Christmas - just a week from tomorrow :eek: Where did 2010 go anyway:confused:

Mary, I haven't got withdrawals yet but I'm close. Thankfully I have a bowl game yet and the Red Wings and Wolverine hockey to watch :D

I haven't heard the details about Margie's move yet but she is still in the Houston area. She actually is back to work until July 2011 so it looks like we have a conflict with this cruise date now :( We will have to make a decision soon ourselves!

I can't believe I am off to Atlanta for Christmas - just a week from tomorrow :eek: Where did 2010 go anyway:confused:

:(:( In today's economy, work responsibilities take a front seat to cruising! We'll see what the new year brings.

I agree, where did 2010 go?

Mary

Well, sadly we have decided that this cruise won't work out for us now. We're going to have to cancel and wait for our Hawaii cruise. Sometimes work just gets in the way of having fun - but we have to do it!

It would have been great to meet all of you and hopefully we still will on some future Princess sailing :)

Have a wonderful holiday season and I may stop by from time to time to say HI :D

Well, sadly we have decided that this cruise won't work out for us now. We're going to have to cancel and wait for our Hawaii cruise. Sometimes work just gets in the way of having fun - but we have to do it!

It would have been great to meet all of you and hopefully we still will on some future Princess sailing :)

Have a wonderful holiday season and I may stop by from time to time to say HI :D

Linda (and Margie)

I looked forward to meeting you, but totally understand. Maybe we'll run into each other in the future.

We potentially have a conflict but will wait until final payment to make a decision. In the meantime, we're planning an Antarctic cruise for next December. :D

Have a Merry Christmas and travel safely.

Mary

Linda (and Margie)

I looked forward to meeting you, but totally understand. Maybe we'll run into each other in the future.

We potentially have a conflict but will wait until final payment to make a decision. In the meantime, we're planning an Antarctic cruise for next December. :D

Have a Merry Christmas and travel safely.

Mary

Thanks Mary. We were looking forward to meeting you too!

Antarctica - next December. I hope you have a smoother ride than the one I just saw a video of :eek:

Thanks Mary. We were looking forward to meeting you too!

Antarctica - next December. I hope you have a smoother ride than the one I just saw a video of :eek:

So true, so true....:eek: We've always wanted to go to Antarctica before we're only able to do a sail-by. This is the opportunity, so we'll be rock'n....

Mary

This picture makes me long for another dog - we lost our Papillion three years ago. We just travel too much now to get another dog.

The cruise date is getting closer.....half of my Christmas requests are for clothing and boots/shoes for the cruise, LOL.

OMG, she is just too cute!!!! I know you just love her already :D

Thanks for posting the picture. It is great to put a face to a your posts :)

HI all,

We are back from the Sapphire Princess 4 night Mexico Sampler cruise and my first sailing on this ship. All I can say is WOW, she is in incredible shape!! I mean brand new looking (despite the torrential rain all weekend). I just loved the cruise, although it was short and wet. Our cabin stewart was just amazing. Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly and the lounges/public spaces were just gorgeous. The entertainment was also excellent and they did a good job catering to all the various age groups.

The only thing I found lacking was the food in the main dining rooms and room service. I just got back from the Mariner last month and I was so disappointed to see that there was so much less to select from. Most of the dishes didn't appeal to me (and I am not a food snob by any means). The room service food was just downright gross. I really, really hope they improve in the next 6 months because we are scheduled to sail her in May, September and the following April! I did leave it on the survey. Not sure how much they listen though.

The buffet by the way was excellent so it was a great backup. Unlike RCCL, it was 24 hours which is really fantastic.

Anyway, our cruise was fantastic and I am very happy that we have such a beautiful ship on the West Coast permanently!

Oh, and today we had the treat of docking right next to the Golden Princess in San Pedro. It was nice to see the 2 ships side by side. We'll be on both ships in May -- yipeeee. So now that this cruise is over, I can finally focus on the Alaska trip. I need to look at shore excursions. Hope everyone is having a happy holiday.

Katherine

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have Alaska on my mind today! I have been under the weather so I am just sitting on the couch, doing research for our upcoming cruise. I actually planned our excursions today! YIPEEEEE. So excited. I have to say the Princess website is amazingly easy to navigate for shore excursions. No deposit needed, can be cancelled up to 24h before the excursion, videos of the excursions, wow!

Anyway, here is what we are doing (note that we have 2 elderly parents with us who are NOT adventurous and a 6 and 11 year old who ARE plus DH and I who are in between)...

1) Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest -- booked over Harv and Marv and Orca Adventures because my parents said they wanted a larger ship with a comfortable interior. The pix looked great for that.

2) Skagway: rented a minivan for all of us to drive to the Yukon.

3) Ketchikan: Bering Sea Fishermen's Tour. This is not something I would have booked until I saw the video. It looked like a blast! Also, since we are only in port for 4 hours, I really wanted to book through Princess so as to not risk missing the ship.

4) Victoria: booked the double decker bus tour but may just skip it. We wanted something short and sweet because it looks like the sun sets at 9pm. We don't get in till 7 or so. Silly that this port is from 7-12pm! They are offering the Burchard garden tour from 8-11pm (in the dark???).

Anyway, I am VERY excited about this cruise and am really looking forward to the excursions we have planned!

Just booked yesterday. I've been to Alaska once before and can't wait to get back.

4) Victoria: booked the double decker bus tour but may just skip it. We wanted something short and sweet because it looks like the sun sets at 9pm. We don't get in till 7 or so. Silly that this port is from 7-12pm! They are offering the Burchard garden tour from 8-11pm (in the dark???).

Just booked yesterday. I've been to Alaska once before and can't wait to get back.

Hurraaay! Welcome. In the spirit of continued planning, I spent all of the night reading about binoculars and went ahead and ordered a pair from Zen Ray based on all of the +++ comments on CC. I can't wait to get them and try them out! :)

Katherine

No problem going at night to see Buchart Gardens....they say it is beautiful with special lighting....

I'm flying in May 12th - just to be safe. :) I liked Victoria last time and wanted more time in port. So a day and a half should help.

My last Alaskan trip was in May as well and consisted of 2 days in Seattle plus the 7 day round trip followed by another day in Seattle. I think I saw 1 cloud in 10 days - sorry to jinx it!

Woo hoo, booked our excursions yesterday - everything except Victoria. There is a debate going between Buchart Gardens and the High Tea at the Fairmont. Although I am just as inclined to do nothing....

Does anyone need a hotel for the night before in Vancouver? We had a cancellation in our group.

Hi all,

Just back from the Disney Wonder 2n cruise to nowhere. Really glad we got on the ship to check it out because we are booked on the 8n for Xmas 2011. I have to say, I really did not like the ship. First off, the buffet was only open 2 hours!!! From noon to 2. The rest of the time you had to eat the deep fried stuff by the pool grill ALL DAY or do the sit down dinner in an 80s looking, cafeteria style restaurant that was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. I was so disappointed! My family felt gross after only 2n of being on the ship and came home craving veggies and salad today! I can't imagine doing the 8n cruise and eating the same stuff. Fried chicken tenders, hot dogs, brots and hamburgers! That's what they fed us from 2 on! Even room service was the same stuff. UGH. I am so bummed. I need to find an Xmas cruise now...

So happy to be on the Golden to Alaska! I can't wait to be back on Princess where at least they have fresh fruit and a great salad bar to help offset the foods. Oh, and grilled fish. YUMMM.

Katherine

Hi all, just booked this cruise! I'm Steve and my better half is Val. We live in the Seattle area so do Alaska more than we should but this itinerary was pretty easy for us so had to do it...Wish we didn't have to wait 'till May but it will give me plenty of time to over plan :)

Any "MUST DO" things for someone spending a day and a half in BC before the cruise?

Hi all, just booked this cruise! I'm Steve and my better half is Val. We live in the Seattle area so do Alaska more than we should but this itinerary was pretty easy for us so had to do it...Wish we didn't have to wait 'till May but it will give me plenty of time to over plan :)

LOL about overplanning! I am the same way. Taking my mom and Aunt on this cruise (their first) so they are freaking out about everything. They want to know exactly what we are doing at what moment of the day. ARGH! Welcome to the roll call. Since you are so close to Alaska, do you have any suggestions for a first timer?

Katherine

Any "MUST DO" things for someone spending a day and a half in BC before the cruise?

My favorite things to do in Vancouver area...walk around Stanley Park and the waterfront, the Olympic torch is next to the pier and kinda cool to see. lunch in Gastown, a trip to Wistler if you can pull it off in so little time, you may want to save that for when you can spend a couple days, Capilano suspension bridge is nice if you dodn't mind heights but it's a little bit of a drive. Vancouver is the most diverse city I've ever been too so people watching at a street-side bar is interesting in itself. We are probably going up a day before just to relax and walk the park, anyone got a good deal on hotels yet?

Archived