Puerto Limon to San Jose

Gatormomma

What is drawing you to ride a bus to San Jose? I don't know what bus tour to which you refer but the last thing I would do when visiting Costa Rica is get on a bus to San Jose. Not that there is anything wrong with San Jose but in a country known for it's well preserved nature why take a long trip to a normal Central American city?

What is drawing you to ride a bus to San Jose? I don't know what bus tour to which you refer but the last thing I would do when visiting Costa Rica is get on a bus to San Jose. Not that there is anything wrong with San Jose but in a country known for it's well preserved nature why take a long trip to a normal Central American city?

This is our 2nd trip to Costa Rica - the first time was all "bananas" and I thought the 2 hour ride would bring me away from the touristy area.

Where is the tour going in San Jose? Is there something specific that sounds interesting to you?

I'm afraid that any tour provided by a cruise line is going to be somewhat touristy. If you want something more local you could find a driver/taxi and have them take you wherever you want. My wife likes to visit local markets and supermarkets. She can't do serious shopping but she always comes home with some new spice or package that we cannot read. :D I like to find a nice cafe' and have a beer. After slowing down for a minute the waitress and those at other tables will open up and give you an insight into the local feel.

• 1 month later...

There are some nice churches with beautiful architecture inside and outside and the Gold museum in and around San Jose that might be interesting if you are looking for a city tour. Lankaster Gardens is nice also. Otherwise, I didn't find San Jose too exciting. The roads are narrow and the traffic horrendous. Most [if not all] the buildings and homes are heavily gated. I just spent a week in Costa Rica and San Jose was not my favorite area overall. I enjoyed the scenery outside the city better, but you might enjoy the hustle and bustle.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to agree with the other poster: why? My DH and I took a "land" trip just last month, spent over 10 days in CR. We flew into San Jose and drove to Siquirres, which is off Hwy 32 about 30 km east of Limon. And then headed down the Caribbean, and eventually made our way to the Pacific side of the country.

Traffic is horrible. We didn't have any 'serious' issues driving across the country, but there were quite a few close calls as well as numerous accidents in our travels. If you are on a ship with a deadline, please don't take the chance you will miss your departure. There are constant rockslides. Accidents. Big rigs overturned on Hwy 32 - in the middle of the road nonetheless. It is NOT worth it.

Ken and I don't like touristy stuff either. That's why we did our own thing and rented a car, drove from coast to coast.

My suggestion: Pacaure River tour in Siquirres. Horseback riding there as well. Beautiful country. Or, if you prefer the beach, head down to Puerto Viejo area. Only an hour drive and the beaches are deserted. Seriously. The beaches in Puerto Viejo proper are not the best, but the ones just north (Playa Negra) and the ones south of the town are beautiful. The town is a typical touristy type place, but the beaches are quiet. No crazy people trying to sell you stuff. However, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT leave anything unattended, even for a minute. Someone must always stay with your belongings, and have them in view. Oh, and the Jaguar Rescue Center is located just south of the town. One of the best guided tours I have ever been on - Encar (owner) is fabulous with the animals and I was able to hold a baby sloth and hang out (!) with some baby monkeys. Well worth your time!!! Do not book with a cruiseline for this - you can just get a taxi cheap and pay when you get there. Negotiate the taxi fare PRIOR to getting into the taxi.

Restaurants I would highly recommend in Puerto Viejo - Sel & Sucre, El Dorado, and Miss Lydia's. They are not touristy. Also check out the reviews on TripAdvisor for all the Puerto Viejo stuff.

DH and I had such a wonderful time in the country. I would recommend doing San Jose when you have plenty of time. One leg of our trip, from Pacific Sur to San Jose was only supposed to take 3 hours because of the new road. Guess what. The road was closed (happens often in CR). The trip ended up taking us over 5 hours. Exhausting.

Have fun, be prepared, and enjoy the gorgeous scenery that CR offers!

• 1 month later...
Has anyone done the day long bus trip to San Jose -- either by private tour or cruise tour? What did you do? Would you do it again? We're going in March '11 on Celebrity Equinox. Thanks.

We are also going on the Equinox March 11'. When are you going? We actually leave FLL on Feburary 28th.

Archived