Costa Rica to Barbados thro Panama

corbes

Has anyone done the Costa Rica - Barbados cruise through the Panama on Windstar. I'm booked for an upcoming cruise and just wondering if anyone has good hints on shore excursions, what the windstar hotels were like pre/post cruise and any other hints! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you book your air through Windstar or on your own? What are the travel times like and what carriers? What are the departure/arrival cities in the US? So far we're booked through Windstar but as we have time (November for us) we can change our plans if we wish to.

Jackie

Hi jackie, we did book our flights and hotels through windstar, via LAX. The carrier is with American from LAX to Dallas Fort Worth, a couple of hours layover then onto San Jose Costa Rica. On the way back we are flying American again, from Bridgetown to Miami and then from Miami to LAX again. Good idea to book the hotel through Windstar in San Jose Costa Rica, because then it includes the transfer which looks to take 2 hours by bus from Puerto Caldera. Corbes

This is our dream trip. Seeing the Canal from on board a WindStar ship and winding up in Barbados.

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to report in with a trip review.

This is our dream trip. Seeing the Canal from on board a WindStar ship and winding up in Barbados.

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to report in with a trip review.

So what's stopping you from joining one of us? Cabins are still available.

I'm quite excited. I went through the Pananma canal about 10 years ago on a big cruise ship. In the same lock as our monster were three sailing ships, tied together. I envied them. Come November I'll be in their place, only in luxury.

Jackie

• 4 weeks later...

We are Windstar veterans but have never been to Costa Rica. Our Christmas 2005 Costa Rica/Panama Canal trip will be our 5th trip on Windstar and we are REALLY excited about it!

We are also looking for the same sorts of information about the ports, hotels in the area of either port (Caldera and Limon) for pre or post cruise stays, etc. We have frequent flyer tickets to San Jose on hold on American through LAX one way and through Dallas returning. (We live in Chicago) We are hoping to find accommodations somewhere nice to stay through New Years but realize we should have booked that earlier.

Is anyone else on the Christmas sailing Dec 17th?

Patty-

We're on the Windstar Dec 27th sailing. Limon doesn't have much in the way of hotels. We board there and do the canal to the Pacific. we have decided to stay the night in San Jose pre cruise, and head for the ship day of sailing.

The InterContinental in San Jose is the "official"hotel. We self booked it for a significant savings over the Windstar pricing.

Don't know if this will help, but I hope we'll get a trip report when you reurn!

Beth

Thanks Beth ... and Happy Anniversary. I read your earlier posting too!

We are also thinking of booking the first night in San Jose at the Intercontinental. I did check with the hotel and did not get a better price than with Windstar though when you consider transfers. Windstar was 320 total room and transfers for 2 people ($150 for transfers alone) The room was $145 plus additonal $29 for the second person with no transfer...so seems about the same to me. Am I missing a good deal?

I agree that my research shows no hotels near Limon. I kind of wish we also had the reverse itinerary like you do but Christmas Day going through the Canal really appealed to us and worked better with our work schedules.

Thanks for your response!

They do seem about equal- we may be hiring a private driver for at least one direction, if not both. It seems we need to visit a college or university in Costa Rica to get our high school children an excused absence. :rolleyes:

I won't know if I need to do this until late in the fall, so I booked the hotel and frequent flyer tickets, and am not working on the transfers yet.

Beth

• 3 weeks later...

Inquiring minds want to know how your cruise was? How was the canal? How were the ABC islands? How was the ship? How were the flights there and back? How were the pre and post hotels (if you stayed pre and post)? Was the ship sold-out? How was 14 days aboard her? Did you use their laundry services? How was the weather? Were there opportunities to snorkle?

Beth (Pudgesmom), did I cover all the questions you have? We need to interrogate Corbes.

Jackie

We sailed Costa Rica - Costa Rica on the WindSong but would LOVE the trip you're making. Maybe one day. [we just got off the Surf, so it's back to saving sheckels for the next one]

When we went, Windstar was running a special Pre-or-Post 2-day at the Intercontinental (beautiful) in San Jose. It was wonderful AND it was dirt cheap: $99/day for the both of us. That's $198 TOTAL. You might beat a bit on Windstar en masse to roll back the prices.

The trip from San Jose was indeed a 2-hour drive, but once past the airport, it was a very pretty and comfortable 2-hours. Coming out of the hills into the bay is one of the most breathtaking vista ever painted. [well, that just goosepimpled me]

Let us hear all about it when you get back, please.

Hello Patty, Jackie, et al....We are also on the Wind Star 12/17.

We are using FF Miles from Ft Lauderdale and will be spending 1 nite @ the Costa Rica Marriott in San Jose. The pix from the web site looked great.

I was ready to confirm the room @ $155 when I noticed a box to check for AAA members. The rate dropped to $147...and it includes a shutle from the airport to the hotel.

One thing I want to mention regarding the transfer to the ship on Sat.(12/17). Wind Star will not allow us to come back to the airport and use their transportation. We had to book World Wide Shore Services which makes it's pick-up @ the Real Intercontinental.

Howard

You will love this hotel. It is just fabulous -- the pix do not do it justice! There are a couple of great restaurants, at least one swimming pool, gorgeous gardens, etc. The drive from the airport is about 20 minutes, and goes through some "iffy" areas -- don't be concerned! It's a great property and you will love your stay there.

• 2 weeks later...
We are using FF Miles from Ft Lauderdale and will be spending 1 nite @ the Costa Rica Marriott in San Jose. The pix from the web site looked great.

A super hotel, stayed there the 1st and last nights of a 10-day vacation in Costa Rica.

A great choice if you're willing to do a 1-way car rental San Jose to Limon (or otherwise arrange transportation) would be to stay at another awesome place near Jaco. It's called Villa Caletas (www.hotelvillacaletas.com). Simply incredible. If you can afford a "suite-superior" then you get your very own, very private infinity-pool in your "villa". Breathtaking!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Patty, Jackie, et al....We are also on the Wind Star 12/17.

Howard,

Glad to hear we will have company on the Star over the holidays! We look forward to meeting you!

We are meeting friends from the UK in San Jose that we met on the Surf last Christmas and they will be sailing with us too.

Archived