Port or Starboard

Island Gem

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing NCL Crown to Bermuda later this year. A question for past cruisers on this ship, which side does it dock, port or starboard? It stops in Hamilton, St. Georges and Kings Wharf and I just wanted to know which side will offer the better views. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

In Hamilton and St. Georges the ships that I have been on or the ones that I have seen there (this includes RCCL, Princess, Celebrity and NCL all dock with the starboard side (right side) facing the port. I don't know about King'sf Wharf/Royal Naval Dockyard.

I don't like to disagree with the prior post but unless things have changed since 2002, in every port I have visited, and there are many (NYC 4x, San Juan 3x, St.Thomas 4x, St. Maarten (only docked at the new pier once, other times was tendered in), Barbados, St. Lucia, Aruba, Curacao, St, Kitts, Bermuda 3x, Virgin Gorda and I am probably forgetting a few, we always docked at the pier with the starboard side (right side of ship), facing the bow (front of ship), facing the port or land. Port side in the left side, not the side of the ship facing the actual port. As I said things may have changed or perhaps there were other factors involved to cause a ship to dock port side facing terra firma such as the weather. I guess I will find out again in June since the wife insisted we change to a port side stateroom for the first time in seven cruises. Since I let her have her way, I hope we do dock port side facing Front Street in Hamilton, I love that view.

I have sailed to Bermuda 10+ times on several cruise lines and docked in St George, Hamilton and Dockyard. All of my ships always had the right side (starboard) side of the ship facing the town, street or pier. I you are on a ship that docks with the left side (port) facing the town, it must be a fluke resultant from some unique circumstance.

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto the previous three posts. We have always docked in St. George with the port side to the dock. As previously stated, the ship comes through the cut, turns around in the harbor and docks so it can go straight out the cut when departing. In Hamilton we always docked with the starboard side facing front street where it can be noisy when people come out of the bars late at night. As I recall King's Wharf, we docked with the starboard side to the dock.

Archived