Canada/New England weather OCT

We are doing the HAL Maasdam cruise Boston-Montreal on Oct 2, with 2 pre nights in Boston and 1 post night in Montreal.

Can anyone tell me what the temperature/weather will be like??

I know layering/rain jacket will be in order, but will we need heavy jacket, etc....

Not asking for detailed forecast, just what the weather usually is at that time of year.

Am travelling with 87 yr olds (from TX).

Thanks for help....

Last fall the weather was wonderful and we really only needed a windbreaker. Never know if its going to be the same though.

We must not have gone the same week you did, because last fall we froze. There was snow in 2 ports.

No one can say what the weather will be like. If you want to see the weather history at each port, go to wunderground.com and click on History Data and then enter the name of the city,state. Then as the time gets closer, look at the forecast. weather.com is helpful, too.

I would bring WINTER for the 87 YO. As we age tend to feel cold faster and the weather can change on a dime. You can always take off layers but a windbreaker and sweater probably would not be enough and you end up looking like the Michelan Man:D

A good waterproof microfiber outer jacket with hood (think Goretex or similar) and a separate fleece jacket for underneath should be plenty. Take a hat and gloves just in case. If you are doing a lot of walking (and you probably will) take thin silk or similar long underwear or lined wool pants.

Thanks all...just trying to get a feel for what the weather is going to be like in early Oct......seems like the same clothes as our Alaska cruise in early June a few years back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Especially for your elder person: gloves, hat/scarf and safe footwear. The rest you can fill in with layers if you don't have warm enough clothing. I know about the footwear issue as my late MIL refused to wear safe shoes and she was older than 87. My husband was on duty full time keeping her on her feet.

Slip and fall accidents sure do ruin a trip.

We were there last year in mid-October. We brought thermal clothing but ended up buying wool hats and scarves (which we still enjoy, so I guess no regrets there- there are some places up there that make wonderful wool products). It was never cold in the interior of the ship, but it was chilly outside. My recollection is 40's, but factor in more wind than usual.

October is a transition month and you can get just about anything. I have seen a dusting of snow in early October but we have also had lovely days that reach into the high 60's and low 70's. At any rate the mornings will be cool and crisp. I usually find a windbreaker is fine with a sweater under it in the mornngs----then you can peel off.

It will be warmer in Maine and NB then in Quebec City as that is more northerly. It will be very cold at sea even in the summer, but once on land you will find it very different. If we have a wet windy day it will just be plain miserable. You may want a touque for on deck at sea to keep your ears warm

We took the Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise last Sept/Oct and except for a very cold and wet day in Gaspe, the weather was quite pleasant. I wore a lightweight jacket with a jersey under it most of the time.

By October most of the fog has gone and we tend to have lovely sunny days. I know I am sounding contradictory but these are the Maritime Provinces and it is said that if you don't like the weather, wait around for 15 minutes and it will change.:)

I know someone mentioned long johns but unless you are planning some high altitude hiking, you will die in them and be looking for a spot where you can rip them off.

If there should happen to be some snow it won't stay on the ground more than a few hours at that time of year.

I guess I have you thoroughly confused but there is no easy answer re our weather.

PS---throw in one pair of shorts----it can happen. We spend the first week of Oct on the Maine coast most years and I often golf in shorts.

For late October you may want a quilted jacket but winter jackets aren't necessary until into November.

Archived