Booking Vatican

ronnie64

I am ready to book online for the Vatican tours. I have 2 college students who both have college ID's. Is this sufficient to get the reduced admission price? Do you have to have an "International Student Card"? Does anyone have any experience with college students and getting discounts in general in Italy--Accademia, Pompeii, Colloseo, Venice?

Would appreciate any help!

I had the same disappointment with our daughter and ticket prices. I wonder if we do the same pricing scheme at the Smithsonian where US residents could get a discount :mad:. Some sites do offer discounted tickets based on age. My understanding is that is not EU only. I will let you know if that is true in August!

Kirk

On the Vatican Museum website, they show the rules for ticket prices. The following is for General Admission and indicates, "Students aged not more than 26 years on presentation of a valid International Student Card, a student identity document or other documentation stating their registration to a university or institution of higher education." Full details here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Biglietto.html

The Guided Tour page shows regular and reduced tariffs and does indicate, "Children aged between 6 years and 18 years and students aged not more than 26 years are able to purchase the reduced ticket directly at the cash desk on the day of the tour on presentation of a student identity card." ... so it appears that students of any nationality qualify.

Kirk ... the Smithsonian Museums in Washington have always been free when we've visited.

Kirk ... the Smithsonian Museums in Washington have always been free when we've visited.

I know but I find it a little irritating that there is a difference for non-EU visitors. My point is that, to my knowledge, in the US when you do encounter an entrance fee, your country of origin is irrelevant.

Kirk

I am finding this all a little frustrating. I do have an 18 year old who will be entering college in the fall and she has her college ID already. Should I risk getting the reduced price advanced ticket? Is 18 years still considered "between" 6 and 18? My 19 year old also has an ID. What I don't want to happen is to buy these tickets and then have them tell me "Sorry you have to buy another full price one and too bad about your lost euros for the other ones you purchased"! Has this ever happened to anyone?

You're welcome Ronnie, but if it is the Vatican Guided Tour tickets that you want, I would specify that on the TA thread, since there is also General Admission ticket, and on the website, it does give specifics about who qualifies for the reduced entry fee for General Admission (in the link I posted above.)

I think everyone is making assumptions about EU residents. The policy says

"Students aged not more than 26 years on presentation of a valid International Student Card, a student identity document or other documentation stating their registration to a university or institution of higher education." Full details here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...Biglietto.html"

I'm pretty sure any university student can get an International student ID card. I got one 15 years ago when I traveled in Europe as a US College student.

I'm going to follow up on my own post:

I just went the International Student ID website and you can easily get one of these IDs in the US. Go here:

http://www.isic.org/student-card/buy-an-isic.aspx

and put in your local city and you should be able to get an ID.

This wiki site gives more details on cost ($22 in US) and the ID provides you with extra insurance protection. At a savings of $8 EURO for the Vatican entrance, you are half way to making up the cost of the ID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Student_Identity_Card

So the Vatican doesn't discriminate against non-EU college students, it just requires a standard ID card as proof of identity. (Which makes sense since a university ID can easily be faked these days).

I guess you are still waiting for an answer?

Here's a link to another thread on Tripadvisor (this one is on the Rome Forum) ... response #2 has some helpful info, including an email address, if you want to verify with the Vatican Museums:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2721392-Booking_the_Vatican_tour_for_students-Rome_Lazio.html

I finally e-mailed the vatican. My questions are below followed by their response. So I will be taking my daughters regular college ID and their drivers license and saving the $25 for a ISIC(International Student Identity Card). It seems in Greece there is also reduced admissions for college students with either ISIC or University ID.

Hello!

We are visiting the Vatican this sumer and I want to clarify documentation required to get the reduced student admission. Two of my daughters have student ID cards from their universities. Is this acceptable or MUST they have an "International Sudent Card" to receive this discount? I wish to purchase advanced tickets and don't want to get the wrong ticket. Please advise.

Also I have a daughter who is now 18 years old? Does this also qualify for the reduced admission?

Good morning.

A valid student' ID with a photo and date of birth will be fine.Until 18yo (please bring an ID or a copy of it) a reduced ticket is granted.

Kindest Regards

Archived