Oasis May 24th 4:50 pm Man Overboard?

What if the crewman never boarded the ship and they are searching for nothing.

You do know that they know who has boarded and who did not, right? Or are you just planning your first cruise now?

It's not that I'm a selfish person, I just figure, RCC should issue refunds in instances like this...I do have a heart and pray he is found and is ok.

The Coast Guard is more equipped to locate a man overboard than the largest cruise ship in the world.

I know the human life is a valuable thing. I value mine and my family daily.

My first cruise is in July. Sorry if I made anyone angry I was just giving my opinion

What if the crewman never boarded the ship and they are searching for nothing.

My POV is DON'T JUMP, you just ruined 6000 peoples vacation because you decided to jump overboard. If we had to change itinerary because of some DUMB ASS, I would be fuming.....And would demand a partial refund.

The cruise line also has the right to change its itinerary at any time. Since this is your first cruise, I suggest reading the terms of the cruise that you agreed to by purchasing it. You'll probably be surprised.

I'm sure that anyone who's desperate enough to jump off a cruiseship is thinking about how his actions will impact the other people's vacations. I'm sure whatever perceived pain he has in his life is merely an afterthought, and the admonishment to think about how his actions might affect those enjoying their drinks of the day would really prevent such a trajedy.

Who's the dumb ass?

It's not that I'm a selfish person, I just figure, RCC should issue refunds in instances like this...I do have a heart and pray he is found and is ok.

The Coast Guard is more equipped to locate a man overboard than the largest cruise ship in the world.

My first cruise is in July. Sorry if I made anyone angry I was just giving my opinion

I have noticed that it is easy for others to jump on someone when they say something that is not PC on these boards; however, I am sure that SunChar does not wish any harm to come to the person that is missing and if people were honest with themselves, they would admit that their first "gut reaction" to being told "we are skipping St. Thomas" after spending oodles of money on a cruise would be "d*mn". That is just basic human nature. Doesn't make anyone a bad or dumb or mean person, just means they are human.

Obviously, people are going to do what they are going to do and say what they are going to say, but I don't think there is any call to be hatin on SunChar because he/she said what was on his/her mind. Our energies would be better spent saying a prayer for him and his family that he is found safe :o

Although there is really no alternative but to return to the scene and search, there is no denying that this will greatly impact the cruise. The Eastern itinerary is only three ports to start with, one being Nassau. So now this will be a two-port cruise, and with one of them being Nassau, many would probably even call it a one-and-a-half port cruise.

The Coast Guard is definitely better equipped, but they cannot be on-site immediately. Even though it had been hours since the crew member went overboard, they were probably still among the closest ships to that spot. And with their time-stamped video and navigation records, they could return to that very spot where he was seen going over.

It's a very unfortunate situation for all involved.

Theron

Posters like SunChar are too ridiculous to waste responses on and yet here I sit typing one. I'm waiting for the day when the CC community unites in ignoring such inflammatory remarks, such as those made by this individual, and in doing so refrains from feeding the bottomless egos of these posters.

The pattern is obvious. The tactless poster horns in on a thread, posts some universally offensive comment, sits back and waits for a reaction. The community reacts in indignation and horror. The poster writes some lame explanation in an attempt to excuse what he or she has written, often calling upon a friend who will also try to justify the ridiculous post. Inevitably, the individual attempts some grovelling strategy to reclaim some status on the board.

This is the first time I have posted a response to an offensive post and it will be the last time. I will go back to shaking my head in wonder at the stupidity and/or narcissism of some people. Given the fact that I truly believe that they are motivated to get a rise out of everyone, I wish all of us would simply ignore these comments intended to incite, not inform.

I am NOT one of those people who feed off of others, I don't even know CatLady (But Thank you for understanding my POV)

I don't wish anyone harm.

My first cruise is in July and being a girl that has never even been out of the US, is looking forward to a vacation of a lifetime. I would be bummed if we had to miss a port because of such tragedy.

RCC being a multi- billion dollar company could afford to reimburse cruisers for tragedies like this.

You can say whatever you want about me, none of you even know me to judge me. Just because I put honest enough to put my 2sense in, I'm a horrible person, you can't tell me that you would not be dissappointed if you heard we were skipping port because of a tragedy.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=&date=7-3-2010&text=&ship=Oasis of the Seas

My first cruise is in July and being a girl that has never even been out of the US, is looking forward to a vacation of a lifetime. I would be bummed if we had to miss a port because of such tragedy.

We forgive you. Have a great cruise.

I am NOT one of those people who feed off of others, I don't even know CatLady (But Thank you for understanding my POV)

I don't wish anyone harm.

RCC being a multi- billion dollar company could afford to reimburse cruisers for tragedies like this.

You can say whatever you want about me, none of you even know me to judge me. Just because I put honest enough to put my 2sense in, I'm a horrible person, you can't tell me that you would not be dissappointed if you heard we were skipping port because of a tragedy.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=&date=7-3-2010&text=&ship=Oasis%20of%20the%20Seas

Again, since this is your first time leaving the US and going on a cruise, read your cruise contract so you won't be surprised that you can't get reimbursed for everything you think you'll be owed money for. Things in other parts of the world aren't like they are here. I'm not sure where you're stopping on your cruise, but I suggest you read up on them so you're not surprised.

It's one thing to be disappointed because you miss a port. It's quite another to call someone who took their own life a dumbass. If you come on a public message board and say something stupid, you bet you're going to be called out on it.

I would rather miss a port because of a tragedy than miss a port because the Captain can't dock the boat because it is to windy... that happened to me on my last cruise! However they did refund us for our excursion and they also routed us to another port for the following day....

I wouldn't get too excited about it. It's just a blogger who knows that Cruise Critic forums are often the source of live reports, and who has the skills needed to include his blog in the Google index process. :)

I hope we get some updated information soon. Anybody know one of those sites that shows the ship's course and speed? If we had that we would know if they are still looking or not.

Theron

Excited???? :(

Excited???? :(

I was responding to this post:

And this news site is reporting a man overboard.... based on this cruise critic thread! I guess cruise critic has some serious pull in the world of late breaking cruise news

My response was just to let them know that it is really not a big deal for a blogger to quote a post on cruise critic, and have that blog included in the Google index. Anyone can do that these days. There is no "serious pull", it's just someone who knows how to get their blog indexed.

Theron

Sorry I called selfish. You're right about the Coast Guard, but maybe the ship can get to him sooner. Also, can you imagine the public attack on the cruise line if they didnt' bother? Anyway I read on the main RCCL board that this is what they are offering passengers: "RCI is offering all guests the followin compensation. 1st and 2nd guests in each cabin receive a $400.00 Future Cruise Credit and each third and fourth person will recive a $100.00 credit"

I understand how you feel about missing a port. But, think what you are saying before you push the "send" button. What if you lost a family member and read your comments.

We also had this unfortunate incident on our Mediterranean cruise. Not one stop but two! Ended up staying in Athens for two days. Yuck, what a bore, especially the Greeks who were not friendly to us at all.

The reason RCI gave us for deleting Mykenos and Turkey...high seas. I and other psgrs felt it was becuz of also another RCI psgr. falling overboard 2 weeks before from ATH and Mykenos. MBNC, CNN, FOX you name it were waiting for us in Mykenos to interview the passengers on how we felt about RCI's security. Princess Cruise Lines followed us into every port. Now they sailed to Mykenos and Turkey but we did not. We found this out from Princess psgrs after meeting up with them in Naples. The news people were dissappointed. Good luck in getting a refund! Naught!!

Thoughts and prayers go out to this crewmember's family during this time.

When we were onboard in April, our waiter shared with us that he'd been on the ship since October (as part of the launch team) and still had a couple of months to go. Our HW - who also had been on the ship since October - had his contract extended another 3 months because another HW who had been due to come aboard learned she was pregnant. He was very upset.

Although we don't know the exact circumstances of this crewmember, I can only imagine the pressure as a part of the launch team - as they are supposed to be the best of the best. While it may be exciting the first few months, after 7 it can't be as fun.

It's heartbreaking to think what could have pushed this crewmember to this decision.

I hate to say it, but chances dont look good at all... Without a life jacket or some kind of flotation device it would be almost impossible to stay afloat for that long... Very sad story and i hope somehow a miracle occurs and they find this guy safe.

Sucks that the cruise now has to miss St. Thomas... I bet a lot of people are going to be very angry at Royal Caribbean over this. Just an overall bad situation.

Archived