Perfect Day in Santorini?

onevacationlover

We rented a car from Tony's Car Rental (55E for an auto with AC and full insurance) about a 5 minute walk from the cable car. Very good experience.

I did not find driving a problem at all. Roads were a bit curvy but had some shoulders and side guards. Parking was not an issue anywhere. There were 4 ships in port but no mega-ships so that may have made a difference.

We left Tony's about 10:30 and headed to the beach first. We took a look from above at Red Beach but did not want to make the hike down there. Very beautiful to see the red sand though. Then we went to the Perivolos section of Perissa where there is row after row of beach clubs on the black sand beach. We stopped at on called Pleasure Club and rented a thatched umbrella and 2 chaises for 7E. We ordered a light lunch and drinks from the menu and ate on the beach. Swimming there was refreshing. Beach a little rocky and very hot on the feet. But a very relaxing time after 3-4 days of ruins clambering.

On our way back to Oia we stopped at the Santos winery which is a large facility with a stunning view. We skipped the tour but sampled a couple wines and bought one to take home as well as some food items for gifts.

We made it to Oia by about 4:00 (we had to take a detour and ended up going a longer back road but that was OK) and drove down the hill to Ammoudi - a little fishing village (you can also walk down from Oia but it was a hike). Had another light lunch of grilled octopus at Katina a highly recommended fish restaurant on the water there. Was fantastic. Wish we had room to try some grilled fish there. There was a snorkeler spearing octopus or squid in the water right near where we were sitting. Drove back up to Oia and parked right by the bus terminal asked for directions at the tourist office and found the main passageway. We shopped for about 90 minutes and admired the spectacular views as we went. Almost every shop had a beautiful view from their balcony so shopping was not a chore. Would have liked to have more time to spend there but we decided to get back to the ship for the Greek night buffet and entertainment that was well underway when we returned at 8:30. We dropped off the car at Tony's a bit after 7, did a little more shopping in Fira to pick up some things we had seen in the morning and got the 8PM funicular down to the tender.

The only thing I would have done differently was to leave the ship a little sooner to get an earlier start and save time for a drink in Oia at the end of the day. Sunset was not spectacular that night as there was some haze, but there would not have been time to see it and make the trip back to Fira and catch the 9:30 tender.

Have a great time. Santorini is definitely a place I would like to go back to stay a couple days. The drive around the island added to our appreciation rather than just seeing Fira and Oia.

We rented a car from Tony's Car Rental (55E for an auto with AC and full insurance) about a 5 minute walk from the cable car. Very good experience.

I did not find driving a problem at all. Roads were a bit curvy but had some shoulders and side guards. Parking was not an issue anywhere. There were 4 ships in port but no mega-ships so that may have made a difference.

We left Tony's about 10:30 and headed to the beach first. We took a look from above at Red Beach but did not want to make the hike down there. Very beautiful to see the red sand though. Then we went to the Perivolos section of Perissa where there is row after row of beach clubs on the black sand beach. We stopped at on called Pleasure Club and rented a thatched umbrella and 2 chaises for 7E. We ordered a light lunch and drinks from the menu and ate on the beach. Swimming there was refreshing. Beach a little rocky and very hot on the feet. But a very relaxing time after 3-4 days of ruins clambering.

On our way back to Oia we stopped at the Santos winery which is a large facility with a stunning view. We skipped the tour but sampled a couple wines and bought one to take home as well as some food items for gifts.

We made it to Oia by about 4:00 (we had to take a detour and ended up going a longer back road but that was OK) and drove down the hill to Ammoudi - a little fishing village (you can also walk down from Oia but it was a hike). Had another light lunch of grilled octopus at Katina a highly recommended fish restaurant on the water there. Was fantastic. Wish we had room to try some grilled fish there. There was a snorkeler spearing octopus or squid in the water right near where we were sitting. Drove back up to Oia and parked right by the bus terminal asked for directions at the tourist office and found the main passageway. We shopped for about 90 minutes and admired the spectacular views as we went. Almost every shop had a beautiful view from their balcony so shopping was not a chore. Would have liked to have more time to spend there but we decided to get back to the ship for the Greek night buffet and entertainment that was well underway when we returned at 8:30. We dropped off the car at Tony's a bit after 7, did a little more shopping in Fira to pick up some things we had seen in the morning and got the 8PM funicular down to the tender.

The only thing I would have done differently was to leave the ship a little sooner to get an earlier start and save time for a drink in Oia at the end of the day. Sunset was not spectacular that night as there was some haze, but there would not have been time to see it and make the trip back to Fira and catch the 9:30 tender.

Have a great time. Santorini is definitely a place I would like to go back to stay a couple days. The drive around the island added to our appreciation rather than just seeing Fira and Oia.

Thanks for sharing..sounds like you successfully managed to see all the fine points..would love to rent a car

• 2 weeks later...
We splurged a bit when we went to Santorini, and it was amazing. We booked a sailing with www.santorinisailing.com. One of the most memorable things we did on that trip. I highly recommend them.

It looks awesome! Of course, I like Giada too...I remember seeing that episode...

Did you take the dream catcher..it was like 4-4.5 hours?

Santorini was our favourite Greek island - we spent 24 days cruising the Med last October. We took the funicular up to Fira and went to the bus station to catch the bus out to Oia. We had a wonderful time wandering the narrow streets and drinking in the spectacular view in Oia.

What we weren't expecting was the chaos trying to get back on the bus to get back to Fira. Its a free for all and some people don't feel they should wait their turn - a local told me not to be polite JUST PUSH! But it all added to our experience! Some people were even trying to bribe locals to take them back to Fira instead of waiting for the bus.

Once back in Fira we strolled the streets until it was time to head back to the ship - with 5 ships in port that day it was over an hour to get the funicular back down - my husband decided to walk down the donkey trail.

This was our perfect day and we really regretted having to leave the island.

NOTE: Our ship anchored very early in the morning and we left around 5:00 pm so we had a long stay -- many ships have shorter visits and/or arrive later in the day so the bus may not be an option.

What we weren't expecting was the chaos trying to get back on the bus to get back to Fira. Its a free for all and some people don't feel they should wait their turn - a local told me not to be polite JUST PUSH! But it all added to our experience! Some people were even trying to bribe locals to take them back to Fira instead of waiting for the bus.

NOTE: Our ship anchored very early in the morning and we left around 5:00 pm so we had a long stay -- many ships have shorter visits and/or arrive later in the day so the bus may not be an option.

The chaos you experienced sounds like the same issues we had when we were in Capri, Italy....it was crazy...people shoving, etc...

We splurged a bit when we went to Santorini, and it was amazing. We booked a sailing with www.santorinisailing.com. One of the most memorable things we did on that trip. I highly recommend them.

My cruise is in port from 10-6. would love to do santorini sailing but I definitely want to visit Oia on foot...do you think that is possible?

I would second the vote on Oia. We wandered around Fira, then easily took the local bus to Oia. Easy to do if you don't want to rent a car. Oia is lovely and the bus ride is well worth it for the scenery. Very different views from in Fira. Just doing the bus is fun....the bus yard is an easy walk, they direct you to the bus and it's fun to watch all the commotion of people, drivers, huge buses negotiating tight turns!

Hi, how does one get to the bus yard in Fira from the top of the cablecar?

Hi, how does one get to the bus yard in Fira from the top of the cablecar?

When you exit from the top of the cable car, go 'straight ahead', towards the road; then turn right. It's on the opposite side of the road, maybe 5 minutes walk along.

Archived