Is Dinner Really 2 Hours?

my husband and i are very normal/average in height and weight, however, we have big appetites and i have no problem with stating that. Heck, we’re real foodies and we’ve even looked at the mdr menus and circled the items we think we’d like to try. We absolutely love food and if i feel like 2 hamburgers, heck i might even eat 3!

Amen!!

I've read several places on here to allow two hours for eating in the MDR, but I'm a picky eater...and don't eat much (I'd never make it through an appetizer, main course, and dessert), so would I have to stay for the whole 2 hours or in theory, could I have my meal and leave in an hour?

You could, but they make a big deal out of the presentation and all that, and the service at times can be just plain slow. It is by design to allow conversation or something. But I understand where you are coming from, some nights I don't want to put up with the who-ha and just have dinner. Actually two hours is average it is usually 2.5 hours by the time you get done with dessert. The meals are a great experience but there are days that we prefer to skip all that and have a nice dinner at the Windjammer - Don't under estimate dinner up there, it is a wonderful experience. You eat on your own schedule, if you are picky you can choose what you want and leave off what you don't. Most of the ships also have a "Build your Own" pasta/pizza/stir-fry bar that is fantastic and only open for dinner. Yes it is buffet but there is a full wait staff an they will take care of beverage/bar orders as well. On the Radiance class ships they also have outdoor dinning (ironic since they are the only ships to offer outdoor seating at the windjammer and they were designed for the Alaska market) Having dinner in the Caribbean at sea under the stars is fantastic, and an experience you can't get at a shore side resort or in the Main Dinning Room. (There are bugs shore side)

I also feel that it is more efficient. Furthermore, it's less awkward for passengers. I would feel very awkward not eating something when everyone else at the table is.

I also have to agree with the previous poster who said that the current menu format encourages people to order less. On our first cruise we had no idea that it was acceptable to order two appetizers (and neither did our tablemates who were also on their first cruise) - therefore, we each ordered one even though there was usually 2 or 3 we were debating between.

Obviously dinner in the MDR can be more than 3 courses, but I wonder how many newbies know that...

One reason we've switched over to MTD, table for 2 is that unless we want to linger over dinner, we don't have to. We never rush! We have enjoyed many tables of 8 for traditional late dining over many, many years. However, all must be seated before service begins and I hate to leave the DR when we are finished with dessert and coffe when others are still eating or having dessert! It made us uncomfortable, especially since most times we did not meet up with these folks for any other evening entertainments.

So, now it's "us alone" for meals. Works out great and we enjoy actually hearing each other and not try to hear 8 different folks trying to converse!

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

I saw certain persons of a certain nation scoffing so much food last week. Is there really any need to order 2 starters and 2 mains from the menu ? Is there really any need to have 2 burgers, a hot dog and fries as soon as the WJ opens ? Is there really any need to have a whole plate of bacon at breakfast ? No wonder one looked like she had borrowed a pair of elephants legs for the cruise.

I didn't think the statement was rude, it's the truth. I don't spend time deliberately to locate these people, but fatties are there. Except for a few who are large for real medical reasons, most are compulsive eaters and are silently eating themselves to an early death. They are the first to say they can't lose weight, but chow down on the wrong foods as fatty meats and carbs. I really feel sorry in a way, in reality a huge amount of food can be consumed if they learned the way to eat using food groupings to slow the insulin response. Slowing that eliminates fat storage.

I've read several places on here to allow two hours for eating in the MDR, but I'm a picky eater...and don't eat much (I'd never make it through an appetizer, main course, and dessert), so would I have to stay for the whole 2 hours or in theory, could I have my meal and leave in an hour?

The dinner is served in courses. Each course is given to the entire table at the same time. Based on your comments, you would likely be happier having dinner in the Windjammer, which is a buffet. Pick out what you want, eat and leave.

On The Radiance last week our dinner was at least till 10 pm or later but that was our choice , we chatted , had a second cup of coffee , the waiter did a brain teaser every night after dinner for fun sometimes it was 10:30 but we had a large table and had a blast. We love a slow dinner when we are with friends and can just sit and chat , thats why we take late no rush.

Archived