St Martin or St Thomas

I think that St. Thomas is a lusher island with prettier views. If I was interested in taking a tour of one island it would be St. Thomas. St. Maarten/St. Martin is better for shopping, has more interesting towns and restaurants and a more European feel. I feel safe traveling in St. Martin and driving anywhere on our own but I would not feel safe doing that in St. Thomas.

I've been to St. Maarten twice and St. Thomas once. I felt that St. Thomas was all about either beach or shopping - not a lot else in between. We rode the aerial tram, shopped a little, walked around, took a motor boat ride... and were back at the ship for lunch. It was beautiful, but - to me, I'm sure not to everyone - it was boring.

St. Maarten has some of each of those, but a more interesting (to me at least) island history - with the two nations sharing it, and there's nothing like spending time at Maho beach and plane-watching up close and personal IMHO! I've spent two full days (by cruise ships definition of full anyway) on St. Maarten, and cannot wait to go back there in November!

Everyone has their own opinion but we loved St. Thomas so much when we cruised there that we spent a week the following year at an all inclusive. It is a beautiful island. This time, for a change of pace, we are going to try the area in town that includes Blackbeard's Castle, a renovated hotel and estate ruins, a rum distillery and an amber musuem. I think there is plenty to do on both islands and I wouldn't skip either one.

St. Thomas is more lush and tropical then St. Martin, since St. Martin is on the fringe of the hurricane zone. At times the countryside of St. Martin is arrid looking due to lack of precipitation.

St. Martin has more and better beaches and more and better shopping since St. Thomas has nothing like French speaking Marigot.

On reflection I agree with Karysa on most of her points.

Since you are not beach people you should get a tour of St. Thomas and head over to Marigot and Maho on St. Martin for shopping and plane watching.

Everyone has their own opinion but we loved St. Thomas so much when we cruised there that we spent a week the following year at an all inclusive. It is a beautiful island. This time, for a change of pace, we are going to try the area in town that includes Blackbeard's Castle, a renovated hotel and estate ruins, a rum distillery and an amber musuem. I think there is plenty to do on both islands and I wouldn't skip either one.

We did this in March and had a great time, after shopping in town we walked up to blackbeards its a lovely area to wander round.

St Maartens to me is more beach and shopping.

Might throw a curve here. I suggest that you tour in St. Thomas, but not there per se. Either private or ship's tour, I recommend going over to St. John for a tour. It is a beautiful lush island with views to die for and I think over 80+ per cent of the island is national park so not over built. I love St. John. And the ferry ride is fun too.

Pooh

Archived