Gas Stations Seward to Denali

runner5

Between Seward and Anchorage thier are a few like at Alyeska/Girdwood, Several in in Anchorage of course, several in Wasilla, a few in Meodowlakes, NONE zip zero in Houston, a couple in Willow, a couple in trapper creek, a couple in sunshine, a few in Healy which is right at the entrance of Denali. You should be in good shape but when you get to a quarter tank start looking for a gas station. Thats a rough rule here. Some people look after a half a tank just to be on the safe side. Thier are also some pay by credit card gas stations as well that dont have an attendent. Also Alaska is largly pump your own gas so keep that in mind.

Also except for the few pay by credit card gas stations. Most of them also have a convience type store that sells other things as well.

Hope this helps,

Adri :)

Adri204: You bring up something I had not thought of. We normally pay for gas with a credit card and planned to do so on our drive from Anchorage to Denali. I assumed that the gas stations would all take credit cards at the pump, but perhaps that is not the case?? Should we be prepared with enough cash to cover gas on the round trip and not assume they will all take credit cards?

Adri204: You bring up something I had not thought of. We normally pay for gas with a credit card and planned to do so on our drive from Anchorage to Denali. I assumed that the gas stations would all take credit cards at the pump, but perhaps that is not the case?? Should we be prepared with enough cash to cover gas on the round trip and not assume they will all take credit cards?

Im going to say this in all my years of living and driving in Ak. I was born here I have never not been able to use a credit card at the gas stations. Thier maybe a few small tucked off the beaten path places that are cash only. But on the Parks Highway especially in the summer they are well prepared for people to use Credit Cards.

The Parks Highway is the major highway and direct highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks. So Alaskans who live on the highway or just off it use it, Truckers use it, buses use it etc. So its well set up for credit cards at most businesses including gas stations. Thier is a gas station just down the road from me that has no staffed attendents regularly and its a credit card only gas station.

I dont carry large bills up and down the highway with me if that also helps ease your mind and plan trips up and down the parks highway with Credit card in mind for food, hotel, gas etc etc.

Also thier are many places on the Parks highway that have ATM machines as well for a small fee of course lol,

Your very welcome and I hope you have a great and safe trip while your in my beatiful state. Also feel free to stop by and see me as well. 50.5 on the parks highway. "Bella Farm&Garden". We do everything by mile posts here so thats 50.5 miles from Anchorage.

Wow, I'm glad I asked the question, THANK YOU for your reply. I saw somewhere that I should get gas about 30 out of Denali since the gas prices are about 50 cents more per gallon, is that true? If so do you know the last stop south of Denali we should make sure we have a full tank?

You need to figure out size of the gas tank and mpg of whatever car you're renting, but if it was us, no matter which of our vehicles, we would gas up in Seward, Wasilla, and Cantwell or Healy. Wasilla usually runs about $.05 more/gal than Anchorage, but I figure that's offset by needing a couple fewer gallons when you get to Cantwell or Healy, which will cost more than Wasilla.

Seward to Wasilla--175 miles

Wasilla to Denali--225 miles

Gas in Fairbanks has been running about $3.59 a gallon. In Denali, they were charging $3.99 a gallon and I expect that to go over $4 after Memorial Day sometime. The cheapest gas is at the big new station right by the Talkeetna turnoff - same price as Wasilla. There is also a gas station in Cantwell that is reasonable.

I reference the gasbuddy.com website too for gas prices when traveling.

Anchorage's gas prices through the gasbuddy.com link example is here.

http://www.anchoragegasprices.com/Anchorage/index.aspx

I use that too! I tried to look up the Denali area yesterday, though, and it wouldn't give me anything but Fairbanks...not sure if it was because no one has reported in that area, or if it's cuz the prices are so high!

Archived