Alaska Cruise Tour with 3yo and 6 yo-tell me about the train rides?

gymbomominNC

We are doing the Princess LAnd tour in Alaska and we will have a ton of time to spend on the planes (from NC) and then trains, shuttles etc. between lodges. Any ideas on how to keep my kiddos entertained? We have never ridden a train for an extended amt of time and I think they will enjoy it. Can you get up and walk between cars? Is there anything else for them to do? What are some ideas for keeping them entertained? I think there are tables we sit at...are small board games doable? Thanks for any advice!

You know your kids best, I know one out of my three at this age just wouldn't sit still for extended time on train or airplane without a host of various entertainment. The other two could be happy for hours with legos, dolls, poly pockets, YMMV. As beautiful as a train ride can be a 6 year old will be entertained for not long enough unless that includes some runnning/hiding/exploring which is of limited opportunity I think.

The one unversal that would keep all my kids entertained would be a good movie, bring a DVD player/laptop and a few good DVDs to break up the long trips. We'd always have our kids on long car rides/planes/trains trade time between quiet self play,reading and for good behavior get a movie then back to some quiet play.

We are doing the Princess LAnd tour in Alaska and we will have a ton of time to spend on the planes (from NC) and then trains, shuttles etc. between lodges. Any ideas on how to keep my kiddos entertained? We have never ridden a train for an extended amt of time and I think they will enjoy it. Can you get up and walk between cars? Is there anything else for them to do? What are some ideas for keeping them entertained? I think there are tables we sit at...are small board games doable? Thanks for any advice!

You will be in your own Princess car - no moving between cars. We went on a cruisetour with RCI and there were 2 RCI/Celebrity cars, 2 Princess cars and a HAL car on the back of the Alaska Railroad train.

You will probably go down to the dining area on the lower level for breakfast or lunch depending on the time of day - they will get a kick out of that.

I would think that board / card games would work - as well as color / puzzle books and things like that.

We were on a Princess cruise and land tour in Alaska 3 years ago when our daughters were 9 and about to turn 4. They liked riding the train but didn't have much interest in the scenery. We did have a table and were able to play card games, colour, use stickers etc. We were able to pass the time that way without any complaints.

Lisa

There's nothing to stop you from moving around in the car but there isn't really any place to go to - just other tables with passengers sitting at them. (There may have been a small viewing area at the back of the car but I can't remember for sure) You'll also need to be careful walking while the train is moving. On our train the dining car was on the bottom level - I assume that they are all the same.

Lisa

Archived