Patches or Bonine?

sassystyxfan

• 2 weeks later...
I think you should ask the pharmacist these questions.

I would say talk to your doctor! Especially when it comes to the kids! Pharmacists are good at recommending things but it would be a mistake to think that these medications can not be harmful, even if they are over the counter! YOur doctor knows about your medical history and can warn you of any contra-indications. A good thing to ask your pharmacist would be to cross reference all of your medications (prescription, over the counter, supplements, etc) to check for harmful drug interactions if you plan to take one of these medications.

Below is a copy and paste off of the Centers for Disease Control website. It contains alot of information, some of it on the more technical side. If you have any questions, you may want to print it out and discuss which remedy is most appropriate for you.

Happy and safe travel to all of you!

Motion Sickness

Motion sickness, a common problem in travelers by automobile, train, air, and particularly sea, usually causes mild to moderate discomfort but in severe cases can be incapacitating. It affects up to half of children traveling in automobiles or airplanes and almost 100% of boat passengers in very rough seas. Motion sickness is more common in women, especially during pregnancy or menstruation, children age 2-12, and in persons who have migraine headaches, but little is known about individual susceptibility. Sensation of head position and movement is generated in the semicircular canals (angular acceleration or rotation) and otolith organs (vertical acceleration) in the inner ears and carried to the central nervous system via cranial nerve VIII. The signs and symptoms of motion sickness occur when sensory information about the body's position in or movement through space is contradictory or contrary to prior experience. Resulting signs and symptoms include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, pallor, and cold sweats.

Travelers who are susceptible to motion sickness can minimize symptoms by choosing seats with the smoothest ride (front seat of a car, forward cars of a train, and the seats over the wings in an airplane), focusing on distant objects rather than trying to read or look at something inside the vehicle, minimizing head movement, and if necessary lying supine.

Medications that may ameliorate symptoms of motion sickness include scopolamine (available in both patch and oral form), oral meclizine, dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine, and promethazine (Table 6-1). Choice of medication is based on trip duration, underlying medical conditions, and concerns about sedation. Scopolamine patches are appropriate for longer voyages and should be applied 4 hours before departure and changed every 3 days if needed. Oral scopolamine is effective for 6-8 hours and can be used for short journeys or for the interval between application of the patch and onset of effectiveness. Other oral medications are efficacious for several hours and can also be used for shorter journeys. Oral medications should be started 1 hour before departure. All these medications can impair alertness and must be used with caution by persons operating vehicles or heavy machinery. This effect is additive with alcohol and is least severe with scopolamine. In addition, because these drugs all have anticholinergic properties, they should be avoided in travelers with narrow-angle glaucoma, pyloric obstruction, or prostatic hypertrophy and should be used with caution in those with asthma and cardiovascular disease. Side effects include dry mouth, blurred vision (especially for persons with hyperopia), and bradycardia. Promethazine primarily decreases nausea and has been combined with ephedrine (25-50 mg) to decrease sedation. Only dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine are recommended for use in children. They may cause paradoxical excitation and should not be used in children <2 years of age.

Nonpharmacologic methods for motion sickness may benefit some persons but have not been proven consistently effective. High levels of ginger have been helpful in some persons. Pressure on the P6 acupuncture point of the wrist provides relief of nausea in pregnancy and after chemotherapy, but evidence for efficacy in motion sickness is contradictory.

Table 6-1. Dosages of anti-motion sickness medications

MedicationDoseContraindicationsAdverse effectsCommentsScopolaminePatch: change every 72 hours. Apply to hairless area behind ear.

Oral: 0.4-0.8 mg every 6-8 hrsGastrointestinal or bladder neck obstruction (e.g., prostatic hypertrophy), liver or kidney disease, risk for narrow-angle glaucomaDry mouth, bradycardia, blurred vision (especially in hyperopic persons), decreased memory for new information, decreased attention and alertnessUseful for longer journeys. Do not touch eyes after applying patch. Contraindicated in children.Dimenhydrinate Adult: 25-50 mg up to 4 times per day

Children: 1.25 mg/kg, up to 25 mg. Can be repeated every 6 hrsUse with caution in persons with asthma, cardiac arrhythmias, pyloric or bladder neck obstruction, narrow-angle glaucoma.Drowsiness, thickened respiratory secretions, dry mouth, blurred vision, paradoxical excitation in children Diphenhydramine Adult: 25-50 mg up to 4 times per day

Children: 1 mg/kg, up to 25 mgAs for dimenhydrinateAs for dimenhydrinate PromethazineAdult: 25-50 mg up to 4 times per dayAs for dimenhydrinateAs for dimenhydrinate; hypotension, abnormal movementsMay be combined with ephedrine to help maintain alertness. Primarily controls nausea.

Not recommended for children.Meclizine25-50 mg dailyAsthma, narrow-angle glaucoma, bladder neck obstructionDrowsiness, dry mouth, occasional blurred visionNot recommended for children.

Just a comment FYI--Scopalamine (in patches) is meclazine. Same medication, just in a different form.

These 2 medications are not the same. Meclizine is an anti-histamine. Scopolamine is an anti-cholinergic. I would never ct the patch in half. A previous poster is correct, it interferes with the deilivery system. It may cause too much medication to be released into your system at once. Anticolinergic posioning can be dangerous!

I get very bad motion sickness, I can't even look at the rides at an amusement park, and every time I've been on a boat I've gotten sick. Now I realize that these "boats" are much bigger, and more stable than anything I've been on, but if you ask your doctor or pharmacist (or I believe it's even on the label of dramamine) , they will tell you that the medication needs to be started before you actually get sick, or it won't work as well. I will take my medication before I even find out if I'm going to get sick. Seasickness is a horrible feeling, and on a ship, there's no place you can go to get away from the motion.

I'm taking my 65 y/o mother on her first cruise in next month. Two years ago she had vertigo. She informed her doctor that she was going on a cruise and he gave her a script for the patch.

After reading all of the bad press on patches, I'm thinking an over the counter remedy would be best.

My thought is that because she had vertigo in the past that she is prone to sea sickness. Does anyone know whether or not this assumption is true?

Either way, this is her first cruise... under know circumstances can she get dizzy or seasick.

I got patches from my Dr. because the pharmacist recommended them........ate with a nurse who told me what they can do............took my patch off. I really never needed anything, not even a pill.

We just returned from another cruise and it was amazing to me all the patches I saw behind ears from day #1...............the Inside Passage was like a lake....... If you are going to use a patch in spite of warnings, at least try to make sure of the sea conditions. Wearing them every day just because you are on the water may not be necessary. They may cause many side-effects; I value my vision.

Actually, the only time I ever feel "ill" is at those Life Jacket Wearing command performances!! Every time I get lightheaded and feel as if I'm going to pass out.......guess it's because they cram us in so tightly and we have to stand and stand and stand some more.:eek:

Hi DW nad DS (who is 16) start taking bonine the day before we leave on a cruise and they take it every morning even while we are in port and they never had a problem even on our last cruise on the Zaandam when we were in very rough seas 10 to 12 foot waves and the ship was a rockin!!!! and NO PROBLEMS:)

I'm not sure why some people seem to be angry at those who choose (with their doctor) to wear the patch. If it works for you - Great! If not, keep trying.... There are a lot of options. Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with starting treatment (patch, pill, sea band, etc) during calm waters - It is way easier preventing sea sickness than getting rid of it.

• 1 month later...

I get car sickness and can't go on any carnival ride but don't get sea sick on cruise ships. Maybe a little the first cruise but not any more. I do get sea sick on smaller boats. My wife uses Dramamine and does not get sick. So either it is in her head or it really does help. The only time I felt a little sick on my first cruise I was using Bonine. As soon as I stopped using it I felt better.

• 2 months later...

I think alot of folks 'just think' they'll be sick because they're on a ship and really don't need anything if they just tried going without. If you're one of those people that regularly gets sick in a car or a plane, Bonine does work, so long as you take it early. Being 'Old Navy', I can tell you, there's no sick like seasick. And the worst thing is, no matter how bad you feel, the Capt won't pull in somewhere till you feel better. As another old Navy man said, crackers and fresh air work best most times. If you don't want to do the chemical thing, try the electric wrist bands "relief bands'. They are very effective even after you're sick.

• 2 months later...

She recommended bonine. She also advised to take it starting at least 12 hours before getting on the boat.

she told me that with her if she drank alcohol it would put her to sleep.

I asked dramamine vs. bonine and her response was that bodine was a lot better, the side effects were the problem with dramamine

• 2 weeks later...
These 2 medications are not the same. Meclizine is an anti-histamine. Scopolamine is an anti-cholinergic. I would never ct the patch in half. A previous poster is correct, it interferes with the deilivery system. It may cause too much medication to be released into your system at once. Anticolinergic posioning can be dangerous!

Antihistamines are, for the most part, anticholinergic. Both meclizine and scopolamine work by antagonizing acetylcholine receptors. (They're both anticholinergic.)

A few posts ago, somebody said that meclizine and dramamine are the same. Dramamine is dimenhydrinate, which is different from meclizine. Dramamine II is meclizine.

• 6 years later...

I have tired the patches and Bonine and love the Bonine. The patches make me feel high. With Bonine I feel normal. Cannot find this product in Ontario. Can be purchased in the US, online or on the cruise ship.

• 2 months later...

I'm the type of person that can get sick driving my own car....:rolleyes:

So, I was very reluctant to try cruising. I started with "the patch" on my first cruise. We had 50 mph winds for almost 3 days. Although, I don't recommend it, in addition to the patch I took Bonine and put on the wristbands. Between the 3, I was doing fine.:eek:

Second cruise, I did just the patch and did fine. I do get side effects from it and I'm thinking I'll probably not wear one this year. After I get home and remove the patch, I have SEVERE dizziness and nausea for 3-4 days. If you are going to use the patch, read the warning labels and side effects. They can affect people differently.

When I go out fishing, I only take Bonine and it works every time.

I'm thinking of trying the ginger pills this year and bringing Bonine just in case.

Also, I have asthma and have never had breathing problems with the patch.

My DH and I tried the patch on our first cruise. He had cotton mouth like you wouldn't believe. He couldn't drink enough to keep his mouth from getting chalky. I had no side effects but on the last evening it rained really bad the waves were rough & I still ended up sea sick.

Next week we are trying the over the counter sea sick meds. They are much cheaper. Like $5 for a box of 24. We paid $45 per person for a box with 2 or 3 patches in it (I can't remember how many) because its not covered under insurance. I hope the pills don't make me sleep the trip away I picked up the 'less drowsy' formula.

Reply to DH - I used Bonine purchased on the ship. The first time I tried it I took a whole pill but that was too much for me. I now take 1/2 to 3/4 of a pill and that is the perfect amount for me without any side effects. The patch made me feel like I was drugged up and tongue tied all the time. Basically you could say I was out to lunch. So reducing the amount of Bonine was perfect for me. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

• 4 months later...

My first cruise I spent the whole thing totally seasick. Since then, I have used the patch and only get the dry mouth problem (Just drink more water). However on one of our cruises, I forgot to take more patches besides the one I was wearing and ended up having to take bonine from the ship. The pills made me SO SLEEPY. I was still groggy and lethargic the next day and ended up losing some valuables at the airport because I just forgot them in my dazed haze. No forgetting patches for me from now on and I refuse to take bonine. Although now I am curious about the 24 hr extended release. Also, our health insurance covers the patches.

Archived