Patches or Bonine?

sassystyxfan

I have read so much about Bonine since I've been cruisin' these threads, put haven't seen anything about patches? Does anyone have experience with both? Why do you prefer one over the other? I have never tried anything for seasickness, but got a little queasy on our Alaska trip. The Pacific Coast is a LOT rougher than the Caribbean! I thought this info would be good to have from San Francisco to Mexico.

I swear by Bonine (particularly compared with Gravol and Dramamine). I like it because it's an over-the-counter drug, rather than one that you have to buy with a prescription. It works well, doesn't interfere with alcohol consumption on a cruise, and doesn't leave me feeling dopey. I've heard of some rather weird side effects from the patch - eyes out of focus, severe dry mouth, etc., and have never had a side effect from Bonine. I've used it for all of our trips since 1989 and don't leave home without it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have had very good luck with Bonine and I'm the type that gets motion sickness playing a video game! I did try the patches on one cruise and I had a lot of problems with them. A very common side effect of the patch is extreme dry mouth to the point that you almost can't swallow. The other thing was that it triggered my migraines. So it wasn't worth it to me. The bonine works and doesn't cause drowsiness... if it looks like we're sailing into bad weather, I'll take 2 instead of 1 like the package says.

I prefer Bonine to the patch. However, not everyone responds the same to bonine. I actually get drowsy with bonine even though most people find it doesn't make them as drowsy as regular dramamine. Therefore, I usually take 1/2 a tablet at first, and that usually works well. :cool:

I used the patch on my last cruise and found that it worked very well. I did experience some dry mouth with it but nothing that a sip of water couldn't cure. My daughter...who was also using them...got a nose bleed...and I am guessing that they might have contributed to this. However...I hate the doped up feeling pills have always given me...so will probably use them again when we cruise in April. I have never tried Bonine.

I have a terrible time with seasickness and have tried everything. I read on these boards about Bonine 24 hour slow release. You take it the day before you get on the ship and take it continually until you get off the ship. I did this last year, I would take it before going to bed and I never once felt sick. God Bless 24 hour slow release Bonine. I went from racing to the public washroom to actually enjoying the fresh air on the top deck lounging in a sun chair. Dramamine made me so tired and yet this Bonine never had any effect on me as far as feeling tired. I would give it a try if you are prone to seasickness.

Hi all,

I've used the "patch" for years. Initially I had a few problems with vision and dry mouth. Then, a lovely lady on my first Alaska cruise advised me to "cut the patch in half" and only use "half" at a time.

It seems the patches are "one size fits all". Well, that means the same amount of medication for a 200+ pound man, compared to a 125 pound woman. After using her suggestion I never had another problem with side effects. We have been in 20 foot seas and high winds with no "queasy" feelings at all.

Hope this suggestion helps someone else too!

Bon Voyage to all!

Our next cruise: Summit 9-16-05 (repo from Alaska)

I've used both, had no side effects and was completely free from seasickness no matter which I used. The downside of the patch is having to get a prescription and the higher cost. I also had the patch wash off once, even though it was supposed to be waterproof. Bonine is over-the-counter and much less expensive. I understand that generic forms may cost only a few cents a tablet.

Our cruise on the Norwegian Dream ended us up crossing a strong storm front and the crew was saying it was the worse they had ever been in.

Fortunately DH & myself didn't suffer at all but there were a LOT of really sick people :( including crew members.

If I needed something for seasickness (I do get carsick, go figure) I use the patch; meclizine (Bonine, etc over the counter meds) make me too sleepy!

I have a question. On the bonine package, there is a warning about using if you enphesyma or breathing problems. Has anyone with bronchial asmtha ever had a problem using bonine?

I noticed this warning too and would also like an answer to this question. Has anyone with asthma used Bonine?

I get sick on the antique cars at the amusement park. I usually use the patch. I went on the Norweign Majesty last year. My dr told me to try something different so I did. She told me to take 2 pepto bismaol tabs every morning. I did and I did not get sea sick. It was rough coming back and many people were sea sick but not me.

The transderm patches do not require a prescription in Canada, by the way. They are kept behind the counter so the pharmacist can advise you on their proper use but there is no need to have a prescription. They are $13.99 CAN for two patches, which last 3 days each.

• 2 weeks later...

I get motion sickness very easily. I tried the patch on one cruise, and found the side effects to be almost as bad as getting sick.(dry mouth, dilated pupils, etc.). I peeled off the patch before the cruise was over and took Bonine. It worked MUCH better, and is the preferred medication on my cruises.

I have always used the patches, and they are great. I do get a dry mouth, and my eyes are always red, probably because they are dry too. I have never tried the Bonine--the time-release one sounds good.

What would you guys suggest for kids? My 9-year-old son weighs about 120 pounds, so I'm thinking he could probably use a patch, but my 5-year-old daughter is 60 pounds. I'd hate for her to be sick on her first cruise coming up in about month, but I don't want her to be drowsy either. Mostly because she is such a bear when she's sleepy. ;) Would half a patch work?

Janey

I am always astounded by the number of people who wear patches on calm seas who I suspect would never get sea sick anyway. While motion sickness is a very personal thing, why take meds you don't need and assume that you will get sick? Do you take such meds all the time on a plane or in a car. The Caribbean, Baltic and the med are usually calm enough unless they are calling for stormy seas that my guess is most people don't really need that stuff. We find that we end up taking it with us and bringing it home unused or at worst, maybe use half a bonine and take a nap.

By the way, try half a pill first. No point walking around like a zombie, dry mouthed, red eyed and drowsy when you probably don't need it in the first place. They are drugs after all--you don't take Advil all the time to prevent getting a headache--why do it with motion sickness pills?

By the way, try half a pill first. No point walking around like a zombie, dry mouthed, red eyed and drowsy when you probably don't need it in the first place. They are drugs after all--you don't take Advil all the time to prevent getting a headache--why do it with motion sickness pills?

Those are very good points. I will take your advice and take 1/2 a bonine. As I'm afraid of the West Coast waters from San Francisco to past Catalina Island, I don't want to take a chance. Once you are sick, it's too late, isn't it? I have only gotten queasy once on our cruise to Alaska last year (outside the Inside Passage) and I can get yucky in a car if there are a lot of curves in the road.

Thanks for your post.

Archived