Luggage storage for 10 days in Rome

sevenseassailor

Another couple and us will be flying to FCO next May and spending 10 days driving around Italy before boarding RCL Mariner for 12 day cruise. We are looking for a place to store our cruise luggage while touring. Any ideas? Probably go from airport to Rome for couple of days first. Not sure where best place is to rent a car either.

If you are spending a few days in Rome first, you could ask your hotel in Rome if they will store the luggage, it's probably your best (and least cost) option. Another downtown source is the train station; in any case this means you need to go back downtown to pick your stuff up on your way to Civitavecchia.

I'm trying to think of a train station with a left luggage office that isn't in the middle of town, that would be better, but I'm not coming up with one off the top of my head. I can do some research for you, however.

As to rental car location, don't go back to the airport. First, it will eat up a lot of time and, second, there is a significant airport rental tax (was 14% a few years ago) that you avoid by picking your car up just about anywhere else.

I've picked up rental cars in downtown Rome (Via Sardenga, I think it was an Avis office) and slightly further out in Tiburtina. I had no problems driving out of town from either location. Friends have also used rental car offices at the EUR to avoid the airport tax and found that location easy to drive from as well.

Edited to add:

You could leave your luggage at the left luggage office at the airport, then return there to pick it up on your way to Civitavecchia. This might be easiest, so you don't have to drag it into Rome with you for the first few days. To pick it up, you could have one person drop the others off to pick it up and circle the airport until they get back with it, or park your rental car in the short term lot and go in for it.

Left luggage at FCO is located in Terminal 3 on the ground floor of the international arrivals area. It opens at 6:30 AM and closes at 11:30 PM, cost is 6 Euro per bag for 24 hours.

Info on left luggage at FCO is here: http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/Fiumicino/Servizi/dentro_aero_1

Recently left luggage in Rome so we could fly to Venice (on Easyjet) without a lot of baggage charges.

We did this by staying at a B&B near the train station both before and after the trip to Venice. The place we stayed is called B&B Giovy - search this on Tripadvisor to get full info, it is highly rated. The owner, Giovanna, is great, she is so helpful.

Just a note of caution ...

I think the left luggage at the train station has a 7 day maximum. I am far from sure of this, but before deciding to leave the luggage their or at the airport, I do suggest you check the maximum time allowed.

I have frequently left luggage at hotels I have stayed in for a few days. That would be my first choice.

As for where to rent .. have you considered Civitavecchia? There are several rental places there. Be warned, many/most auto rental agencies will be closed on Sunday.

Archived