BP started Top Kill Procedure on Wednesday

Sargent shultz, I know Iv been reading your updates all day too, even if not commenting, since there is really nothing else to say, except we all wish them good luck.

CNN made a good point, why were those dying in the coal mine given such national burials and those who died in this oil disaster nothing similar was done for them, no president attending, nadda hardly.

It did sound like everyone thinks they didnt come equipped with enough mud to do the job the first two times they did it yesterday.

It was a whole segment showing all the people who make their living from the water. Vacation homes, they even showed a guy who takes people out in a boat to watch the dolphins.

They dont want the oily water in the bay for obvious reasons. Sure they said they have booms around the washing stations, but that only stops surface spread of the oil.

Can you really blame the locals who live from the water from objecting to washing oil off right near shore? I'm sure they are thinking oil can get thru below the water, not just on top.

You guys misunderstooderstood my point. Sometimes when emotions get high and a lot of people get involved it makes matters worse. Thats all. Im not saying its a bad thing im not saying its a good thing.

Im just saying make sure you know all the facts and whats going on before running headlong into something that may end up doing more bad then good.

It will be late today, but it seems more likely sometime over the weekend before they will know if the procedure will work.

The relief wells will stop it, but those are still 2-3 months away.

As bad as the spill is, it isn't the worse - not yet, anyway, in the Gulf, but is the worst in the US, in terms of oil released.

IXTOC 1 blew out on Jun 3, 1979 and wasn't capped until March 23, 1980. Its spill rate was 10,000-30,000 barrels/day.

http://www.incidentnews.gov/incident/6250

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908//vp/37368377#37368377

seems to be a lot of similarities.

After listening to BP's CEO on television again this morning, he doesn't sound very confident that the procedure will work.

Sadly, I don't have much confidence in it, either.

Hopeful? SURE! But not too confident...

After listening to BP's CEO on television again this morning, he doesn't sound very confident that the procedure will work.

Sadly, I don't have much confidence in it, either.

Hopeful? SURE! But not too confident...

I'm not sure that's how he meant it. I'v heard that BP has had to guard what they say more carefully because they trade their stock publically and it was causing stock swings, the least thing they said, so now they will be more guarded.

Hey Sarge, what are you thoughts on the reports that the estimates of the amount of oil released are way off and actually 2-3 times more than previously reported?

Personally, this does nothing to reassure me that BP can get this thing under control. But I remain hopeful.

Personally, this does nothing to reassure me that BP can get this thing under control. But I remain hopeful.

That's how I feel.

I am, as usual severely disappointed in our leaders....

Blue? Red? What does it matter?...nobody knows what they're doing.

This oil thing is monumentally BAD.

I think Mother Nature can only take so much of us screwing with the planet.

I don't put much faith in estimates. I think all of them are SWAGs. People are demanding numbers so some are being tossed out.

It seems some mud is on the lens of the camera closest to the rise, so we may or may not be able to view the leaking riser again. I'm thinking not.

I'm not sure that's how he meant it. I'v heard that BP has had to guard what they say more carefully because they trade their stock publically and it was causing stock swings, the least thing they said, so now they will be more guarded.

Oh come on! Some of us make our bread on stock swings, comment away!:):):)

Sargent - the company I work for is a non-operating partner in the well and I still get better updates from you.

I think it is typical for most employees to learn more from the media (once they sift through the junk) than from their management when there is a situation.

Oh come on! Some of us make our bread on stock swings, comment away!:):):)

Some of us see our bonus potential and next years cruises flowing into the gulf...:(

I hope no one attacks me over the environmental damage...I DO care about that too.

Oil floats. It pretty much just sticks to ships in a ring right around the waterline.

Except when it's being treated with a chemical dispersant that keeps it 20-30 feet below the surface of the water, which BP *is* using.

BP has scaled back on the use of the dispersant and there are no alternatives available in sufficient quantities.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/breaking/7025907.html

Jackson said the agency's initial tests have shown no significant ecological impact from the dispersant. At the same time, the dispersant has shown to be more effective below the surface than on it — an application that had not been tried before now.

BP has scaled back on the use of the dispersant and there are no alternatives available in sufficient quantities.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/breaking/7025907.html

It's about freakin' time. Did you know that stuff was on the EPA's banned list until this happened? They un-banned it specifically for use in the Gulf. It's outlawed in Alaska after the damage it did during the Valdez clean up.

Archived