Western Caribbean Questions

deb63

I have been using the search function to research different cruise lines, ports, etc on this and the port boards.

I had decided the Carnival Dream was the ship for us. For the waterpark area as well as the itinerary. I like Costa Maya and Cozumel excursion suggestions but didn't really want to venture to Jamaica or Haiti. So it seemed ideal. But a lot of the reviews are negative.

The searching I did here - it seems from a family respective that RCCL gets better feedback than Carnival.

So, I was curious - those that have done the Western Caribbean itineries - what was your families favorite port / ship?

And if someone has cruised on the Carnival Dream - was it enjoyable? My biggest concerns were the feedback of the crowds & the noise. I like the brochure on the RCCL Oasis - but the Western goes to both Jamaica and Haiti.

I apologize if I rambled, but would appreciate any insight you can share. I wanted a family perspective - so am asking here vs on the cruise line boards, we will be traveling with our DDs who will be 8.

Thank you!

I have not been on the Dream nor have I cruised with RCCI. I have cruised many times with Carnival and I like their ships. I love the Western ports of call. I personally will not go back to Jamaica. I did not feel safe there at all! I believe the RCCI stop in Haiti is there personal island/beach. If that were the case that wouldn't worry me.

I personally LOVE Grand Cayman. Lots to do there with a family. There is 7 Mile Beach, The Turtle Farm, The Butterfly Farm and Sting Ray City.

I also love Roatan, Honduras. We love to snorkel and this is the best place in the Caribbean to snorkle! The great thing is you can snorkle right off of the beach. It's beautiful!

I was on RCCL Jewel back in March and we stopped at Haiti. It is not "real life" Haiti, it is a secluded peninsula so you only get to meet the "chosen" merchants who are allowed in. Rest of the time it is all passengers and the crew even come down and work the island. So you will be pressed to meet more than 20 native hatians. It looked like most of the activities (parasaling, jet skis and such) were run by non-natives. We took the Hatian village/beach one and it was run by some guys from the states who live there now. I have heard, never checked myself, that if you get to close to the mainland there are actually armed guards. I did google map it before I went and there is only 1 long winding road leading to the area. When we were there it was like being on a beach in Florida, no locals coming around trying to sell you anything. Everyone around mainly were from US and spoke English. You just walk off the dock, get in the free shuttle (farm tractor pulling carts with seats, like you see at the movie studio tours, but not as nice) or you could walk it is not that big of an area. I would guess from the dock to the other end would be a 20 min walk at most. Beaches on both sides. hammocks, beach chairs and such all over for anyone to use.

Never been to Jamaica or Maya. And I can't stand Cozumel, I go there scuba dive and thats it. Have done week long trips there to all inclusive dive resorts and the only time i leave the resort is to scuba. It is not dangerous or anything, but it is the biggest tourist trap. Downtown is extremely crowded during the day (there can be up to 7 ships in) and they will double the prices, after the ships leave they lower the prices. Some people love it, so go make up your own mind, The water activities are great there.

Been to the Caymans a few times and it is nice like RT mentioned also.

Labadee isn't dangerous or the "real" Haiti, as mentioned. No need to worry or fear going there!

Both lines are more similar than different....RCI's ships have a better layout than Carnival, so you never feel crowded, even on a full ship.

You need to decide which is more important to you...the ports, or the ship! Then, it's an easier decision!

For me, the ports are more important than the ship. Unless my DDs are not having fun in the kids club.

My not wanting to go to Haiti wasn't that I thought of it as dangerous. It was just the excursions offered there were just not what we were looking for. :) My DH was interested in the speed boats/jeep adventures, etc. that you see listed for some of the other ports.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. It helps.

You may want to look at the Carnival Legend out of Tampa. It goes to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. As mentioned earlier Grand Cayman has so much that is family/children friendly. Cozumel is one that my family likes. We go to Paradise beach - it is crowded but it is a nice place to visit and relax. You can check out the Port of Call boards and find a huge amount of info there. Roatan - there has been a huge amount of construction going on around pier area in the past year and a half. Our visit to Roatan was rain soaked so our excursion was cancelled. Belize is a port you have to have an excursion planned to get outside the pier area. We did the zoo. Our friend that was traveling with us didn't want to do the cave tubing, plus we had a 5 yr old that wasn't a great swimmer.

You may want to look at the Carnival Legend out of Tampa. It goes to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. As mentioned earlier Grand Cayman has so much that is family/children friendly. Cozumel is one that my family likes. We go to Paradise beach - it is crowded but it is a nice place to visit and relax. You can check out the Port of Call boards and find a huge amount of info there. Roatan - there has been a huge amount of construction going on around pier area in the past year and a half. Our visit to Roatan was rain soaked so our excursion was cancelled. Belize is a port you have to have an excursion planned to get outside the pier area. We did the zoo. Our friend that was traveling with us didn't want to do the cave tubing, plus we had a 5 yr old that wasn't a great swimmer.

Thank you! I will!!

You know, when I started looking I was looking at RCCL and NCL - not Carnival. But then I saw a picture of the Carnival waterworks on the Dream and started looking at it. But it is getting some really negative reviews. Anyhow, I never thought to look at the other Carnival Ships.

So, thank you again. I just looked at the Legend - and it would work for us. Has a pool slice, and the ports have the types of excursions we were hoping for.

Deb~I just happened to stumble across your post and as I read the responses I decided I had to reply!

My husband, son (5) and myself did the Western itinerary on the Dream last January. We ABSOLUTLY loved it!! This was our first family vaccation and we were definatly a little "concerned" about how DS would do on a 7 day cruise. We did pick the Dream because it was a new ship and the waterpark specifically. We had so much fun on this ship. The waterpark was in a great location, we were able to be at the pool or watching the big screen while DS ran around and did the waterslides. I even went down the Twister. The aft pool was also a GREAT pool. We spent many hours in that pool as well. The mini golf course was the best we had ever seen on a ship. The kids club was wonderful.

I will admit I felt Carnival packs this ship too full. There were lines, and the layout could get congested. HOWEVER these never took away from the wonderful cruise we experienced!

As for the ports, In Cozumel we did a manatee swim which was spectacular and I would highly recommend, but the other islands we just enjoyed the area and each other (or we went back to ship early to enjoy everything) We were unable to go into Costa Maya due to winds and tides, which was a bummer being I LOVE this port.

I have been to Jamiaca before (mo bay) and it was one of the best excursions I have ever done. I think Jamiaca is a port you need to research and have a plan to enjoy. I would not hesitate to go back to Jamaica and I would take my son as well.

Overall, you can not go wrong, you will be on vaccation. Not only that you will be on a CRUISE, the best way to vaccation.

I would not be afraid to recommend Carnival Dream, it was an AMAZINGLY beautiful ship and we had an amazing time. I would love to go on the Oasis but it is just too expensive at this time. Whatever you decide, have fun!

I included a few photos of our son having the time of his life! Everyday he asks when do we get to go back!

P1265808.jpg.c3fd6efe615e27e252fa46da53ebc091.jpg

P1245557.jpg.825230780b2e6b3a33a9e42471bfd136.jpg

P1265815.jpg.75b42611a282c8384b3e43fd7f9f400f.jpg

P1275893.jpg.ac0794f90ae963984d320ad21eab9484.jpg

P1285988.jpg.ea5bb5aaba47c807bdf26db10de194d1.jpg

It is nice to see a postive review. What interested me in the Dream was the water area & the western ports.

Did your son ever go to the kids club? Some reviews on cc show that it was too crowded for the kids to enjoy. I don't mind lines for meals/shows - but would want to make sure the girls had a fun time in the club. They are into crafts & games, etc.

My DH is anti Jamaica at the moment. But perhaps with more research he can be "turned". :)

Thank you for the pics - your DS is adorable, and it looks like he is having a great time.

Deb~ Yes DS did go to the kids club. We were concerned because he was 5 (6 in June) so he was in the youngest group 2-5. I was afraid he would be bored. Boy was I wrong! We had to "bribe" him to not go to the camp. They made all kinds of art projects, lots of face painting, singing, games and they did watch movies at night. There were 2 days that were his favorite, the first night they do a family party in the disco. All ages, meet the staff, and so much fun dancing. He even won a medal for the best boy dancer! The other night was the late night party. this combined the younger groups and they were able to play foos ball, dancing, and just a whole lot of fun! (I beleive it went till midnight for his age group)

We did use the late night group babysitting a few nights. We would go to the comedy shows which were great) then go get him, get some ice cream and head back to the cabin. It was a great way to end the night.

We let DS "eat with friends" one night and from that night on he always wanted to eat with the camp kids! We really enjoyed doing meals in the dining room as a family so this was a little hard to overcome. We let him eat with the camp kids 2 more times but most of the time we would eat together and then one of us would take him to the camp for some kid time.

I would be a little more concerned about Jamaica currently. I really dont know much about the tension over there so I am not saying I would not go at this time, I would kust have to look into it a little more.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I tend to ramble but we had such a good time it is hard to contain myself.

I did include more photos. The first one is my husband on the twister! Then we have DS an dmyself on tender in Belize, DS in cozumel, the last two were taken in roatan. SO MUCH FUN!!

P1265802.jpg.7b9f43c077c5183104a75d617fc7c56c.jpg

P1275864.jpg.920cfd9f0f2ffb449186861a3a4c3f18.jpg

s8.jpg.a43778f45a92a469316383a5463b2242.jpg

7326853_scanned1.jpg.1e82d6807eb37dfd29a199588966893d.jpg

scanned3.jpg.56188922c59ebb2d31eb866c81a8f5c7.jpg

Archived