Help Me Pick a Snorkle Excursion for the Ultimate Caribbean

Cruise Arizona

Last week we booked the Equinox ultimate Caribbean. I love to snorkel, my husband can take it or leave it. I want to do one snorkel excursion and my initial thought was the trip to St. John's and Trunk Bay while in St. Thomas, however that excursion seems as much about the trip to St. John's as it is the underwater trail, so I was thinking perhaps another excursion (Ship or Independent) on another island might be better, but I haven't been to the Caribbean in 30 years, so I don't know what island and what excursion might offer me the best snorkeling. Also, what is a good excursion for an enthusiast dragging along a disinterested party, ie with other things to do.

Mon, Nov 29

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Tue, Nov 30

Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 3:00 PM

Wed, Dec 01

Bridgetown, Barbados Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Thu, Dec 02

Roseau, Dominica Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Fri, Dec 03

Philipsburg, St. Maarten Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Look at the Silver Moon in Barbados. They run two cats both with smaller numbers. Not overcrowded. You get to swim with sea turtles at one location then over to an old wreck I think. Tons of fish not overcrowded. It was fantastic

Celebrity has a snorkel excursion in St. Thomas that we booked last minute and really enjoyed. I can't recall the exact name but it had "yacht" and snorkel in the name.:rolleyes: Look at the full tour descriptions on the X web site. Its run by a great old sailor named Captain Carl. They only allow up to 7 guests which was great, no big crowds. We were taken out to one of the sites Captain Carl uses (depending on weather and how crowded the snorkel sites are, he varies where he takes you). We had a little over an hour to snorkel with one of his snorkel guides who provided a lot of great info on local marine life and ensured everyone had a good time. On the sail back we were provided with drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) as well as cheese and crackers. The whole trip lasted around 4 hours, which still gave us some time to wander around town. I wan to say we paid around $65 per person. Great excursion!

If it is Snorkeling off the beach, then I do not suggest St. Thomas/St. John...just did that in 2008 and was disappointed...

Now, if it is off a boat in the St. John area in deeper water, then I had a great snorkeling adventure there and highly recommend it.

Suzanne, you should absolutely take a look at Silver Moon in Barbados. We do that catamaran sail every time we go to Barbados. The snorkeling is usually fine, and as the other poster above mentioned, there is a spot where sea turtles gather and you get to see them up close, and the food, drink and the ambiance of the Silver Moon is amazingly wonderful. This is my all time favorite excursion in the Caribbean. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

You could also consider doing a private day sail in St. Thomas. We have gone on the Rumbaba (google the name and you will find the site with the information about pricing on it.) several times and enjoyed it tremendously. Snorkeling varies according to the weather and sea conditions and Captain Bobby decides based on that and your preferences as to where you will go. He only takes up to six passengers, and we had a blast last March. There are lots of day sails available, but this is one we have chosen to do twice, and may do again next year.

You could also take a look at the Fan-ta-sea excursion in St. Kitts; we have done that several times and it is fun, although it is more of a party boat atmosphere. The snorkeling can vary considerably depending on water conditions. We were there in March and the water was as crystal clear as I have ever seen it there.

Happy planning!

Archived