In Amsterdam on Sail In. Questions: Amsterdam Card

Question for those of you who are not only familiar with Amsterdam, but also have some insight in how busy it will be on the first day of Sail In Amsterdam.

We will be in Amsterdam on August 19th, from approximately 9:30 to 4:30.

I want to see the Anne Frank House and my wife the van Gogh Museum.

We both would like to also do a canal cruise as well spend a small moment taking a look at the ships of Sail In.

Questions:

1. In the time given, is this even possible?

2. If so, in what order would you see these sites?

3. How would you get to each?

I believe we will be dropped off at Central Station.

If we purchase the Amsterdam Card, we would only need to purchase the Anne Frank tickets. The Boathouse is not running on the 19th, so the complimentary Amsterdam canal cruise/Blue Boat will be fine. We could also just purchase a combination Amsterdam cruise and museum admission as well. If we don't go to another museum or use any public transportation, this would save us some money.

I have never been to Amsterdam before, and looking at a map doesn't give me much of an idea if this itinerary is walkable. Plus, will Sail In be so busy that the public transportation will be of little use or just too slow to be worth it?

So, please give me an idea of what you would recommend.

I am leaning towards purchasing the Amsterdam Card, but it will only be worth it if we go to another museum and use some public transportation.

If you wanted to do the above itinerary, those with experience, how would YOU do it?

Thanks for your help.

I think you could be pushing it to include both museums and canal cruise.

There was a company that did HOHO canal trips that pass close by various tourist attractions. I think it was the Great Amsterdam Excursion Co. Both museums can get very busy and this will impact on your time.

I havent been either but will be in Amsterdam in July. I have pre booked the Anne Frank House which is a timed ticket and the Van Gogh Museum which is good anytime during the calendar year. I am under the impression that there is a canal boat that you can pick up near the Central Station that will drop you near the Anne Frank House so just based on my research I think you can get the boat to the Anne Frank House so get a ticket for 10 am entry, and then walk to Van Gogh Museum with advance ticket to by pass the line. As with any art museum the amount of time you spend there is entirely up to you. It sounds doable to me. Maybe somebdoy who has actually done it will chime in.

----------------

Helen

Question for those of you who are not only familiar with Amsterdam, but also have some insight in how busy it will be on the first day of Sail In Amsterdam.

We will be in Amsterdam on August 19th, from approximately 9:30 to 4:30.

I want to see the Anne Frank House and my wife the van Gogh Museum.

We both would like to also do a canal cruise as well spend a small moment taking a look at the ships of Sail In.

Questions:

1. In the time given, is this even possible?

2. If so, in what order would you see these sites?

3. How would you get to each?

I believe we will be dropped off at Central Station.

If we purchase the Amsterdam Card, we would only need to purchase the Anne Frank tickets. The Boathouse is not running on the 19th, so the complimentary Amsterdam canal cruise/Blue Boat will be fine. We could also just purchase a combination Amsterdam cruise and museum admission as well. If we don't go to another museum or use any public transportation, this would save us some money.

I have never been to Amsterdam before, and looking at a map doesn't give me much of an idea if this itinerary is walkable. Plus, will Sail In be so busy that the public transportation will be of little use or just too slow to be worth it?

So, please give me an idea of what you would recommend.

I am leaning towards purchasing the Amsterdam Card, but it will only be worth it if we go to another museum and use some public transportation.

If you wanted to do the above itinerary, those with experience, how would YOU do it?

Thanks for your help.

First of all it it important to know where your ship wil dock. On August 19th NO ship wil dock at the cruise-terminal, but outside the city, probably in IJmuiden. Does your ship offer shuttles to get there? (Public)- transport can be difficult that day since some roads along Northseacanal will be closed for traffic, so people can watch the sailin that day.

If you decide to do both museums absolutely make reservations on-line, so you can skip the lines and save time. If you are sure you will be in Amsterdam if at 09.30 - do the canalcruise first. In front of CS various tours are offered, it lasts about 1 hour.

Make reservations for AF at 11.30am. Even if you arrive a little early or late you can get in. It takes up to 1 hour to be inside if you watch various videos.

From AF either walk along the canals to Van Gogh or go to Westerkerk take tramnr 13 or 17 (Direction centraal Station) for 1 stop to the back of the Royal palace, there again take tramnr. 5 to Museumplein.

From Museumplein you can take various tramnrs. - 5, 16 or 24 back to CS. (watch the rightdirection on the tram).

It is close but it can be done.

For public transport you can buy a 24 hr. card for E. 7.- Not for sale in the tram, but at the office at CS. Inside trams only singlerides are sold, which makes it more expensive. http://www.gvb.nl for more information, schedules, tickets etc.

AF isnot incl. in any museumcard, Van Gogh is.

Check the website of the museums for prices.

Canaltours costs for adults around E. 12.50 p.p. kids 6.25 p.p.

Only the hopon-hopoff ships offer possibilities to make single rides, but the schedule might have chances that day because of Sail.

Public transsport in the city will function, but expect some delays around CS.

In the morning it will be o.k., but later that day the sailin will take place and it will be extremely busy around CS.

Thanks all for the fine support.

Yes, we are cruising with Azamara and WILL be paying for a bus into Amsterdam through their line.

I believe they drop us off at CENTRAL STATION.

I think we will only purchase the combination ticket from Amsterdam Canal Cruises which is really a great deal... Canal Cruise and Van Gogh Museum for E 23. By the way... does anyone know, do those tours run clock-wise or counter clock-wise?

Doesn't seem worth it to purchase the Amsterdam Card, though if we had more time, this would really be the way to go.

If we are fit and have no issues with walking, what are the walk times in your opinion from Central Station to the Sail In? Central Station to Anne Frank? Van Gogh to Central Station?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks all for the fine support.

Yes, we are cruising with Azamara and WILL be paying for a bus into Amsterdam through their line.

I believe they drop us off at CENTRAL STATION.

I think we will only purchase the combination ticket from Amsterdam Canal Cruises which is really a great deal... Canal Cruise and Van Gogh Museum for E 23. By the way... does anyone know, do those tours run clock-wise or counter clock-wise?

Doesn't seem worth it to purchase the Amsterdam Card, though if we had more time, this would really be the way to go.

If we are fit and have no issues with walking, what are the walk times in your opinion from Central Station to the Sail In? Central Station to Anne Frank? Van Gogh to Central Station?

Walking time from CS to Anne Frankhuis is about 20 minutes. But look at the map for the shortest route since Prinsengracht makes a kind of circle. A good option to get there also is the "stop and go" small bus, that will stop very close to AF. Check this website for the departure spot at CS.

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/transporttypes/Pages/the-opstapper.aspx

From Van Goghmuseum to CS might be close to 1 hour, depending what route you want to walk. Better take one of the trams heading to CS.

Certainly prebook AF huis and if possible also Van Gogh, so you can skip lines.

Be aware that schedules for the canalcruises/hopon-hopoff might be different due to sail.

Archived