Pacific Sun dining?

mabel58

Haven't been on Pacific Sun since they changed their dining system from 'club' to 'freedom'; what are others experiences?

"Anytime" dining on Pacific Sun seems a bit chaotic but it does work. The Burgundy Restuarant is open sitting - turn up and get shown to a table - but beware that dining tends to gravitate to traditional early/late dining times, so it can be a bit difficult to get a table if you turn up at around 7pm. If you want to book a table - you can do that in the Bordeaux Restaurant.

Of course if you don't want to go to the dining rooms - you can go to the Lido Buffet which opens for dinner until about 10pm.

When we were on the Sun in February we booked the same table at the Burdeaux. We had an earlyish booking so we could arrive anywhere between 5-30 and 7-00. this worked very well with the times for Kids Club and shows. We never waited for a table once and on one sitting only we had to sit at another table but had the same waiters.

We loved it. We just confirmed our table at the end of the second or third night once we decided that we like our Waiters.

What's the procedure for booking a table in the Burgundy, do you have to ring up early in the morning?

Also is the Steakhouse still an area cordoned off in the Lido area?

Ring and Book for the Bordeaux Restaurant.

The Steakhouse on Pacific Sun is, strangely enough, in the Library, outside the Burgundy Restaurant. In the evening's it's converted into a restuarant.

Are there differences between the two dining rooms? Can you just go to either?

The restaurants are the same (ie same menu's etc). My understanding - and I could be wrong because it wasn't really clear - was that if you wanted to book a table you did it in the Bordeaux (the one at the back), and if you jst wanted to turn up you went to the Burgundy (front one).

Going to Perth we generally went for the Burgundy as there was only the 2 of us, and we had one night that we couldn't get into the restaurant and another night where they gave us a beeper to page us when there was a table ready for us.

Hi everyone, from reading through this and a number of related threads I assume that the Pacific Sun does not have 'Salt Grill' but has the 'Steakhouse' instead.

What can we expect from the 'Steakhouse' (is it similar to 'Salt Grill'), how much does it cost and do you think it's worth making a booking?:confused:

Sorry about all the questions, again.

Regards

Jenny

Was on Pacific Sun end of April - bordeaux restaurant down the back of the boat would take bookings (phone early on in the day if you want to be sure) but the only times they would take the bookings for was 5.30, 5.45 and 6.00pm. After that, it was pot luck (which didn't work as they were always fully booked after 6pm through till 8pm). Burgundy - you couldnt book but just meant to turn up "anytime". Hmmm we turned up at 6.45, 7.15 and 7.30 to be told "sorry we are full, come back at 8.00pm" Was a bit confusing but we got it worked out after 8 days. Shame it was a 9 day cruise LOL

Hi everyone, from reading through this and a number of related threads I assume that the Pacific Sun does not have 'Salt Grill' but has the 'Steakhouse' instead.

What can we expect from the 'Steakhouse' (is it similar to 'Salt Grill'), how much does it cost and do you think it's worth making a booking?:confused:

Sorry about all the questions, again.

Regards

Jenny

Yes Jenny they have a Steak House instead of a Salt Grill. We went one night on our 12 night cruise and it was lovely. Very intimate and the food was great. As Entree I had Sqid and the hubby had something that I can not remember. For the Main I had the tampurer Crabs (2 wholse sand crabs battered) and the Hubby had steak. They bought us our 7 sides of vegetables with it. We both had Trio of Mousse for dessert. I could not eat mine and they gave it to me to take back to the cabin for the kids. All up cost us $25 each, we thought it was worth it. Very large meals, nice atmosphere and excellent service.

We were on the Sun last week (just finished a 20 night cruise out of Auckland to Tahiti).

After we had settled into our cabin, we wandered around the ship and noticed that there was a person sitting outside the BURGUNDY dining room taking bookings for the night for the BORDEAUX. We had a choice of dining times as well as how many on our table.

We settled on a table of 8, 5.45pm sitting. We were happy with everything and all of us at our table agreed to make it a "permanent" arrangement so we saw the front desk person on our way out of the dining room to confirm the arrangements for the next night. We were required to do this each time for the first three nights and after that, we just waltzed in.

Two of our dining companions ate in the Seafood and Steakhouse restaurant one night and they said it was well worth the $25 cost. The rest of us were very happy with the dining choices each night so we stayed in the Bordeaux.

The Maitre 'd told me that they usually allow 2 hours per sitting and like to get people in by 5.30pm if they want to go to the 7.00pm show in the Atlantis lounge. So don't expect the meals to be rushed through if you turn up at 6pm and want to be out by 7pm.

For us, having a "permanent" seat reduces the need to queue up at the Burgundy or trying to find a seat at the Lido buffet.

We experienced Anytime Dining on Sapphire Princess in 2007 where you could truly rock up to the restaurant of your choice at any time during dinner. If there were really no tables then you would be given a pager or you could try your luck at a different restaurant. On Pacific Sun in Feb the staff seemed to be touting for business & if you sat at a certain waiter's table one night they really tried to get you to book with them again the next night. I think that this is because without traditional dining they can't build up the same relationships as they can with set sittings & aren't then guaranteed as many tips.

We actually had the Dining Room manager of both dining rooms saying they missed us if we weren't there the night before. In the end we went to the Burgundy at 6pm to the same table & same companion couple & same waiter for the last 9 nights of the 13 night cruise.

Allan is in a wheelchair which makes the Bordeaux restaurant quite difficult to get to. It's only accessed by the aft stairs & lifts & for the whole of our cruise & for several before that only one lift was working & was in constant use for the jolly art auctions.

Archived