Alaska Cruises- Covered pool that kids can use.

TexasMommy

My kids are total water nuts. We are thinking of booking an Alaskan cruise. Of course on that vacation there won't be warm sandy beaches :o like we are used to enjoying. Seeing Alaska and it's wonders will be worth missing the sun and fun...but as a compromise we at least want a warm, covered pool on the ship. (I hear the uncovered pools are very, very cold...basically not usable.)

Can anyone list and provide any comments on what Ships have a covered pool AND that allows kids to use them? THANKS THANKS THANKS.

Some have pools but for 'adults only' I understand?

We have sailed Disney 7 times and their sailing to Alaska is really what got us to pondering Alaska in the first place....but their pools are outside and plus I was hoping for a ship with more "glass" to see the sights.

So we've crossed Disney off the list. I was thinking Carnival Spirit maybe or Princess? Again, I'm having problems researching the kid pool situation.

Any ship recommendations would be very appreciated.

We have cruised Alaska three times, twice with Princess and once with RCI. On cold days they open the enclosed pools for children during certain hours. I hace seen children that must have been born part polar bear in the outdoor pools. The ships do accomodate for weather.

It sounds like Princess is the leading contender. I'm a bit wary of HAL although wouldn't rule them out. We've enjoyed Carnival so far and obviously DCL. I need to do some further research on Carnival's ship that does Alaska too.

You guys are helpful.

RCL Radiance sounds very tempting but that is a drawback that kids normally aren't allowed in the covered. The ship sounds wonderful though. Celebrity it sounds like is the same way regarding the pool. Plus, we sailed them once when DS was 13 months old and didn't have a great experience.

HAL's main pool is under cover in inclement weather - it retracts in good weather. This will be our DD's third cruise with HAL (And first she'll qualify for Club HAL). We're doing the 14-day Alaska cruise out of Seattle in late June and there are over 120 kids on board, so I'm certain that she'll make a lot of friends...The adult-oriented pool is on the back and isn't covered.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised Princess to Alaska last year with my 4 year old. I think it was the Grand Princess but not positive. It has a covered pool in an atrium area. The nice thing about Princess pools is they are fresh water instead of salt water. It was a two story atrium with lounge chairs around the second story and ping pong tables.

We sailed HAL last week and found that the Lido pool was covered most of the time and kids were welcome all the time during operating hours. The water was warm to the touch and every time I passed it there were many kids having a good time. However, Club HAL was the worst kids program that we have experienced on land or at sea. This was DS's 11th cruise and we had high expectations of the club and were very disappointed.

The thalassotherapy pools on Celebrity are normally adult only, but last year on the Millennium they did have family hours during the day. Sorry I can't recall the exact times but it would be similar to the others 12-4 or thereabouts (my 2 guys didn't bother going swimming so I didn't keep track of the hours). I would assume the setup would be the same this year on the Millennium and Infinity however IIRC the Century does not have an indoor pool.

We sailed on HAL's Volendam last year and our kids loved the covered pool. They aren't huge kid's clubs fans on any of the 4 cruises that we have been on, but my eldest DS, then age 8 said he liked HAL's kids club the best. Go figure.

. . . RCL Radiance sounds very tempting but that is a drawback that kids normally aren't allowed in the covered. The ship sounds wonderful though. Celebrity it sounds like is the same way regarding the pool. Plus, we sailed them once when DS was 13 months old and didn't have a great experience.

The solarium pool (indoor) will have hours when kids are welcome throughout an AK cruise. We've done a couple of AK cruises on Radiance and have had plenty of days when the weather was fine for outdoor swimming. DD loved the water slide on Radiance.

Archived