Belize Mayan Ruins

mallbucks

First time to Belize and there are 3 Mayan ruins excursions offered:

Altun Ha & Belize City - 5 1/2 hours

Cahal Pech - 5 1/4 hours

Xunantunich - 7 1/2 hours

We want to visit one of these sites and would appreciate any views from those who have visited any of them.

Thanks.

Altun Ha

we went here in January...out of the ruins in Belize this seemed the easiest to get around (have some knee issues)...very easy to walk around and see...also there is one you can climb to the top ...hubby did-i wouldnt even attempt but enjoyed our tour very much even in the rain...very interesting...the ruins are AMAZING all of that is just right there--so much so we WANT to see MORE and are going to TULUM when we are in Cozumel in December...wherever you go ENJOY!!!

A few years ago my mom and I did the Carnival Tulum excursion. It was nice, but it was a long way from the the port: a bus, a ferry, etc. It was late July and quite hot, but I really enjoyed it. The little beach by the ruins was refreshing and beautiful! I considered it again for last summer with my husband, but we chose to see ruins in Belize instead.

I have offered this review before:

We really enjoyed our excursion to Altun Ha with Belize Cruise Excursions. The timing details that I was concerned about were not an issue – we were back in plenty of time to tender back to the ship and in fact there was no line waiting for us! There was some time for shopping before the tour – but we do not tend to buy much on our vacations. Afterwards, it would be tight to schedule in shopping time.

I will also say it was hot – I knew it would be, but wow! I was saddened that our bus was NOT well air conditioned. It was an old school bus and more like a light, coolish breeze, than actual air conditioning – and we were sitting in the front row (not necessarily a good idea given the VERY narrow roads of Belize – much like playing chicken!).

Our driver and guide were very friendly; they stopped along the way to get us mangoes – refreshing! I mention the roads, because they are not like our highways, they are narrow, with many potholes, etc; my husband noticed that our driver would chuckle about his passengers white knuckled ride, but he was very capable! The tour of the city on the way to the ruins was informative and relaxing.

The ruins themselves were beautiful – it is great to be able to walk on them – not roped off like so many historical sites. The lunch that followed was also very good – chicken w/rice & beans, and cold lemonade. The grounds were nice – a butterfly hours, some birds, etc. I walked under a mango tree and was swarmed by mosquitoes – despite my bug spray – but was unaffected by bugs at the ruins with my bug repellant.

What about Lamanai?

We did this one through RCL back in January and LOVED it. We booked through the cruise line as it was 2 hrs in and 2 hrs back and we did not want to risk being late.

I have to say we had heard all these bad things about Belize, the waiter in MDR even tried to tell us "we only stop here as an act of charity, if you are going to stay on the ship in port, this is probably the one to do it at". This was our most memorable stop that cruise. Our guides Edgar and Nate were AWESOME and we never for one min felt unsafe. The tour was educational, the lunch was delicious and the ruins were well worth the trip in and out of the jungle.

What about Lamanai?

We did this one through RCL back in January and LOVED it. We booked through the cruise line as it was 2 hrs in and 2 hrs back and we did not want to risk being late.

I have to say we had heard all these bad things about Belize, the waiter in MDR even tried to tell us "we only stop here as an act of charity, if you are going to stay on the ship in port, this is probably the one to do it at". This was our most memorable stop that cruise. Our guides Edgar and Nate were AWESOME and we never for one min felt unsafe. The tour was educational, the lunch was delicious and the ruins were well worth the trip in and out of the jungle.

I see that the RCCL description of the Lamanai tour includes a boat ride up the river. Did you do that ? They also say lunch is at the New River Lagoon - does that sound like the tour you were on ? I know that the Xunantunich ruins is a 2-hour trip each way, but everyone else is saying that Lamanai is 1 1/2 hrs. each way, one way being on the river.

That is the exact one we were on. It was great. Edgar met us right as we got off the tender, inside the little port building. There was an issue with Belize clearing the ship so we were late getting off and in a bit of a panic but Edgar ushered everyone onto an air conditioned motor coach and off we went. We were about an hour on the bus, winding through country side and then we got to a "station" at the New River. We had an opportunity to use the washroom there and Edgar met up with Nate. All of us, including Edgar boarded a little speed boat and off we went up the river. The entire bus and boat ride we had all sorts of education on the country, its people and so on. Nate did a great job seeking out birds and gators for us to see on the river. When we got off at the Lamani Reserve lunch was waiting for us and it was GOOD. We toured thr ruins, again with lots of information given and those who wanted to climb the High Temple could. Back on the boat down the river and back on the bus. They also provided bottled water etc.

I am not sure if it was 2 hrs exact in and out but it had to have been close. It was very muich worth it, IMO.

How would this be with children 10 and 12?

If your children can sit still for long periods of time, not just 5 minute time outs, and are interested in seeing these places or enjoy school field trips to musuems and historic sites, any of these excursions would be great for them. The Lamanai or AltunHa via river boat excursions might be a bit more exciting to tweeners than long bus rides; especially if they can see wild life like gators.

But please don't drag them along if they have no interest or can't sit still for more than a few minutes. They will be bored stiff, get whiny, and may be disruptive to other people on the tour. An excursion like cave tubing may hold their interest better.

My kids would not be disruptive to others, they have been brought up better than that. I think they would be good then, if they are fine with a 5 hour road trip to Chicago, I think they could manage this and yes we love museums and places of historical interest, I think that comes from growing up in England with all the history there is around you there.

My kids would not be disruptive to others, they have been brought up better than that. I think they would be good then, if they are fine with a 5 hour road trip to Chicago, I think they could manage this and yes we love museums and places of historical interest, I think that comes from growing up in England with all the history there is around you there.

Then go have a great time:). And enjoy hte beuty of the Belizean countryside.

That is the exact one we were on. It was great. Edgar met us right as we got off the tender, inside the little port building. There was an issue with Belize clearing the ship so we were late getting off and in a bit of a panic but Edgar ushered everyone onto an air conditioned motor coach and off we went. We were about an hour on the bus, winding through country side and then we got to a "station" at the New River. We had an opportunity to use the washroom there and Edgar met up with Nate. All of us, including Edgar boarded a little speed boat and off we went up the river. The entire bus and boat ride we had all sorts of education on the country, its people and so on. Nate did a great job seeking out birds and gators for us to see on the river. When we got off at the Lamani Reserve lunch was waiting for us and it was GOOD. We toured thr ruins, again with lots of information given and those who wanted to climb the High Temple could. Back on the boat down the river and back on the bus. They also provided bottled water etc.

I am not sure if it was 2 hrs exact in and out but it had to have been close. It was very muich worth it, IMO.

Thanks, that is just what I had in mind - seeing some countryside, some flora and fauna, and some history. (good food doesn't hurt either, was it the chicken and beans everyone talks about ?)

A few years ago my mom and I did the Carnival Tulum excursion. It was nice, but it was a long way from the the port: a bus, a ferry, etc. It was late July and quite hot, but I really enjoyed it. The little beach by the ruins was refreshing and beautiful! I considered it again for last summer with my husband, but we chose to see ruins in Belize instead.

I have offered this review before:

We really enjoyed our excursion to Altun Ha with Belize Cruise Excursions. The timing details that I was concerned about were not an issue – we were back in plenty of time to tender back to the ship and in fact there was no line waiting for us! There was some time for shopping before the tour – but we do not tend to buy much on our vacations. Afterwards, it would be tight to schedule in shopping time.

I will also say it was hot – I knew it would be, but wow! I was saddened that our bus was NOT well air conditioned. It was an old school bus and more like a light, coolish breeze, than actual air conditioning – and we were sitting in the front row (not necessarily a good idea given the VERY narrow roads of Belize – much like playing chicken!).

Our driver and guide were very friendly; they stopped along the way to get us mangoes – refreshing! I mention the roads, because they are not like our highways, they are narrow, with many potholes, etc; my husband noticed that our driver would chuckle about his passengers white knuckled ride, but he was very capable! The tour of the city on the way to the ruins was informative and relaxing.

The ruins themselves were beautiful – it is great to be able to walk on them – not roped off like so many historical sites. The lunch that followed was also very good – chicken w/rice & beans, and cold lemonade. The grounds were nice – a butterfly hours, some birds, etc. I walked under a mango tree and was swarmed by mosquitoes – despite my bug spray – but was unaffected by bugs at the ruins with my bug repellant.

Thanks for posting this!!! I booked with them as well but have been concerned since they are not with the ship and have heard about safety issues in Belize. Did you happen to do the one with the Belize City tour as well? Any info you could offer would put my mind at ease. Please email me directly if you would like...alabukm@verizon.net

Thanks!

We had NO issues with safety in Belize at all, at least that was our experience. As far as booking through the ship, we did so due to the length of the excursion. I was paranoid about missing the ship.

Yes, it was chicken, rice and beans, chips and homeade salsa...YUM!

As far as 10 and 12 year olds, I would think they would enjoy it. Yes, it is a bit of a long trip in and out but there is a lot to see and the guides we had did a great job speaking along the way. Edgar pointed out school children on their way to school and explained the different coloured uniforms and so on. My kids are 11 and 7.5 and I would even take them. (They are used to long drives though). I would think 10 and 12 would be fine.

Archived